Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I get why people think it is important to "diversify". But, meh, I would rather specialize.
    My angle is, I break the good/fast/cheap triangle in the milled aluminum widget production world.
    I go just far enough at each tip of the triangle. No more, no less. And provide all three.

So I personally don't want to diversify my work. Customers is another story! I definitely need to diversify there!
    My idea of "diversify" is solely in sources of income, which is what really matters if you lose one or two of them. I used to make only one very specialized product line but my biggest customer was only 10%, with most under 3%.

2. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Dare I ask how high limit?

Personally - I am fine with having any of my debt backed up, but it does feel nice when you can say for sure that "That is mine", and that it's not tied to something else somewhere...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Precisely why I told him to keep everything separate, on its own note. And why I am so furious at them for doing exactly what I told them not to do!

The BFH is almost paid off. (US Bank) I was gonna throw the chunk at it to get it over with and end that payment.
    Not now! Every extra penny I can muster, now goes to the other joint. I need them out of my life pronto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Used to be $100K max with no nasty credit history. The interest rate might not be for the feint of heart.

Basically credit cards are unsecured credit so if opportunity presents itself the reality is most people in business have a good size line if credit. Again not much room for error if the cash flow/profit gets ate up by interest.

Gets real sketchy when you max the plastic AND the credit line. Been the ruin if many a good man.
    Just looked on the US Bank site...shows $100K unsecured.
    I wonder what the interest is @ about $80K? That would end my moral furiosity.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder what the interest is @ about $80K? That would end my moral furiosity.
    This thread has over 940,000 views. Too bad you can't monetize it.
    Ten Cents per view and you would be home free.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you talk about selling the robot, did you sell the S300 as well or just the robot with the conveyors?

Are the pallet Brothers staying? Seems like they could annihilate a variety of parts that might walk in the door.

And now that the project is over can you show the parts? It's like Wilson's face in Home Improvement...

7. Likes wheelieking71, DrHook, mountie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Uh Wheelie - I seem to recall that there are at least some states where a contract is not enforceable unless everybody got a signed copy. I am not a lawyer. But you might to call one....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    Uh Wheelie - I seem to recall that there are at least some states where a contract is not enforceable unless everybody got a signed copy. I am not a lawyer. But you might to call one....
    In my current situation it is more an issue of principal and integrity, than reality.
    Yea, my situation could have gotten REAL ugly. And, they legally could have stepped in and cleaned me out.
    But, lucky for me! my situation isn't there yet. This is a matter of principal. He asked me how I wanted to handle these "loans". I told him.
    As far as I am concerned, that was the end of the story. The fact that they did what they did seals the deal!
    If my situation got real grim? I would look in to the legalities like you suggest. But I'mma try my best not to have to go there!

10. Likes Ox, woodchuckNJ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A shop owner friend of mine, who is long deceased, told me that "Friendly bankers - aren't all that friendly!"

12. Likes wheelieking71, mountie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This stuff is why I am so glad my wife went to law school, real nice having in house counsel

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my current situation it is more an issue of principal and integrity, than reality.
    Yea, my situation could have gotten REAL ugly. And, they legally could have stepped in and cleaned me out.
    But, lucky for me! my situation isn't there yet. This is a matter of principal. He asked me how I wanted to handle these "loans". I told him.
    As far as I am concerned, that was the end of the story. The fact that they did what they did seals the deal!
    If my situation got real grim? I would look in to the legalities like you suggest. But I'mma try my best not to have to go there!
    If it were me I'd look into the legalities now not later. So either your prepared then, or become prepared now if it seems like it could get a whole lot worse and get away from you in a hurry.

A visit with an attorney should be free for an initial consultation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that is a lesson everyone should internalize. I'm super lucky in that my counsel is also my dear old Dad, so I don't have to pay for contract reviews and such. But it is very easy these days for shitbirds to file notes contrary to written agreement and then cook up the documents later. After all, what judge is going to take your side over an upstanding pillar of the community like a big bank?

Never trust bankers, cops, judges, or anyone who lists pronouns in their email signature.

16. Likes JonP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or anyone over 30?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to read this Bill and i fully understand why you had to tool up the way you did.
    Good luck in fixing your shortfall - I'm confident you will.

19. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How are things going with adapting with the business and work changes, picking up any new work/customers?

I've met 3 new buddies who are into trail and track motocross, all with husqvarna bikes, nice machines, actually fixed up the steering stem on one the other day(Al threads are now stainless...) Now I'm really getting the bug to get into riding. Always wanted to but with business being so busy 7 days a week I've always been scared of what would happen if I injure myself and can't deliver, what happened to your leg some years ago certainly worries me a bit but I'm getting closer to the point in life where its now or never. So I might finally get one(husqvarna or yamaha) next year if work slows a little and try to safely ease into that, looks like a ton of fun.

21. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    How are things going with adapting with the business and work changes, picking up any new work/customers?

I've met 3 new buddies who are into trail and track motocross, all with husqvarna bikes, nice machines, actually fixed up the steering stem on one the other day(Al threads are now stainless...) Now I'm really getting the bug to get into riding. Always wanted to but with business being so busy 7 days a week I've always been scared of what would happen if I injure myself and can't deliver, what happened to your leg some years ago certainly worries me a bit but I'm getting closer to the point in life where its now or never. So I might finally get one(husqvarna or yamaha) next year if work slows a little and try to safely ease into that, looks like a ton of fun.
    No new work as of yet. Just about plowed through the existing work as well. It is getting pretty interesting.
    Couple more weeks, and I am afraid if nothing pops up, I will be all by myself out here again. It is the last thing I want to do (let Joe go).
    But, if there is nothing to do? There is nothing to do. Crazy times.
    Years of work coming at me from all directions. There was always something new popping up. And, now? Nothing.
    It's not just the big production job getting shut down. Yea, obviously that is a huge part of it. But my in-box in general is quiet as well.
    I'm trying not to stress over it. And just enjoy the break. Not ready to go hunting for work yet. I'm sure I will. Just not right now.

So yea, riding. It is a ton of fun. Give it a go. Just be careful and remember, it's not a race. Just enjoy the ride.
    Bikes are so good these days, you almost can't go wrong. I don't know your stature? Or engine preference?
    But, the KTM 350 4-st is kind of the perfect starter bike. If you prefer/desire a 2-st the Euro 300's are excellent.
    Very smooth linear power that will lug right down to pretty much zero rpm, and still plenty on top. The 300's are actually smoother than the 250's.
    The newer Euro 2-st's have a counter-balance shaft in the engines now. Vibration is negligible. I think 2017 was the first year.
    Also in case you were not aware: KTM/Husky = same engine, almost same bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, to ride again....................I have a good friend that is an enduro/hair scramble guy...............bugs me all the time to get a bike and just do some off-road/logging trail/dirt road riding. Very tempting. But I have 1-1/2 bad shoulders that wouldn't even take a moderate tumble. Sad though, as I'm prolly in better shape now in my mid 40's than I was back in my late 20's(I was the man of steel in my late teens).............at least I'm not as dumb as I was then.

24. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just curious about the big job...where did it go? Are the parts being made overseas or did they become obsolete?

My biggest customer just opened shop in Tijuana and telling me I need to cut prices in half to be competitive. As much as that blows I could stomach it if it were a commercial business but these are missile parts going to our military. That's our tax money, national security and jobs going south of the boarder so Ratheon shareholders can make an extra buck. Infuriating.

26. Likes Ox, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metal-ica View Post
    My biggest customer just opened shop in Tijuana
    That sucks, in many ways.

28. Likes metal-ica liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metal-ica View Post
    Just curious about the big job...where did it go? Are the parts being made overseas or did they become obsolete?

My biggest customer just opened shop in Tijuana and telling me I need to cut prices in half to be competitive. As much as that blows I could stomach it if it were a commercial business but these are missile parts going to our military. That's our tax money, national security and jobs going south of the boarder so Ratheon shareholders can make an extra buck. Infuriating.

I bought a machine from an outfit that clearly was a major importer as they had a roll-off or whatnot clear full of what was unmistakably Chinese wood crates all busted down.

Yet they were an ITAR facility, and so I questioned the situation:

I was told:

"We have a shop in China too, and the items that we need to MFG here, we doo here, the others get done at our China facility and then QC'd here."

Believe you me, I was not a happy camper!

--------------

On the Border
    Ox

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Now I'm really getting the bug to get into riding. Always wanted to but with business being so busy 7 days a week I've always been scared of what would happen if I injure myself and can't deliver, what happened to your leg some years ago certainly worries me a bit but I'm getting closer to the point in life where its now or never. So I might finally get one(husqvarna or yamaha) next year if work slows a little and try to safely ease into that, looks like a ton of fun.
    I used to ride British Championships Enduro, and when I started my business I stopped riding for the exact same feat - what if I break my leg?
    I always thought get the business going and go back to Enduro and win the Over 40's class in a few years....nope....too busy...long gone now....
    But yes, go get a bike and do exactly as Bill says - enjoy the ride.
    If you don't do it now, you never will...

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I bought a machine from an outfit that clearly was a major importer as they had a roll-off or whatnot clear full of what was unmistakably Chinese wood crates all busted down.

Yet they were an ITAR facility, and so I questioned the situation:

I was told:

"We have a shop in China too, and the items that we need to MFG here, we doo here, the others get done at our China facility and then QC'd here."

Believe you me, I was not a happy camper!

--------------

On the Border
    Ox
    One of my major customers did the same thing - so I asked "how do you know the material is correct".
    Put them in a right tailspin...