Results 5,661 to 5,680 of 5688

Thread: B&A Precision

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    But my in-box in general is quiet as well.
    I'm trying not to stress over it. And just enjoy the break. Not ready to go hunting for work yet. I'm sure I will. Just not right now.
    Bill - I can understand 100% why you're not ready yet to go hunt work.
    But as you said, you don't want to let your man go.

Perhaps...just drop an email to one or two Customers to test the water?
    The last thing you'll want is to contact 10 people (when you're ready of course) and then get work from 8 all wanted for the same date!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metal-ica View Post
    Just curious about the big job...where did it go? Are the parts being made overseas or did they become obsolete?

My biggest customer just opened shop in Tijuana and telling me I need to cut prices in half to be competitive. As much as that blows I could stomach it if it were a commercial business but these are missile parts going to our military. That's our tax money, national security and jobs going south of the boarder so Ratheon shareholders can make an extra buck. Infuriating.
    Man that sucks! Sorry to hear your in that spot. I know what I would do.

As for the big job. Lets just say "its out of our control" (no they are not being made somewhere else).

There is a slim chance we will make more in the future. If we do, there is pretty much zero chance volumes will ever be what they were.
    At peak production I was delivering 1,200units/wk of one model, 200units/wk of the other model (each are two piece assemblies).
    If/when I make them again? He figures it would be less than 200/wk combined. I have 14,000units worth of material sitting here.
    Pretty tired of tripping over it actually. At least it was customer supplied!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Bill - I can understand 100% why you're not ready yet to go hunt work.
    But as you said, you don't want to let your man go.

Perhaps...just drop an email to one or two Customers to test the water?
    The last thing you'll want is to contact 10 people (when you're ready of course) and then get work from 8 all wanted for the same date!
    To be quite honest:
    Scaling back to just me, two VF2's, and the lathe is a pretty attractive option right now.
    If I sold the last Brother, and the big fat haas? I could be 100% debt free (besides my mortgage) with a little $$$ left in the bank.
    I owe on that Brother (not much), the big fat haas (not much), and the last VF2 I bought. On the personal side, we have zero debt already (besides the mortgage again).
    Yea, my biggest loss was definitely potential earnings. But, I'm not in a terrible spot.

4. Likes Ox, barbter, Philabuster, SND, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear your in that spot. I know what I would do.

As for the big job. Lets just say "its out of our control" (no they are not being made somewhere else).

There is a slim chance we will make more in the future. If we do, there is pretty much zero chance volumes will ever be what they were.
    At peak production I was delivering 1,200units/wk of one model, 200units/wk of the other model (each are two piece assemblies).
    If/when I make them again? He figures it would be less than 200/wk combined. I have 14,000units worth of material sitting here.
    Pretty tired of tripping over it actually. At least it was customer supplied!
    Sounds like the customer sold the product line to someone else higher up the food chain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    Sounds like the customer sold the product line to someone else higher up the food chain.
    Not even close.........

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea what you were running. I don't know if your willing to do firearms parts, but there's a few shops around here pumping out a lot of AR parts, there's always pallets of AR parts at the anodizers when I drop off parts. The shops I understand are running flat out at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    I have no idea what you were running. I don't know if your willing to do firearms parts, but there's a few shops around here pumping out a lot of AR parts, there's always pallets of AR parts at the anodizers when I drop off parts. The shops I understand are running flat out at the moment.
    I was running gun parts, LOL. Pretty much don't want to run gun parts any more. Especially AR specific parts. Margins are waaaaaaaay to low.
    I would be open to random accessory type bullshit. Scope-rings, folders, picitinny shit. But, AR receivers are definitely out!
    I had a lady ready to send me a PO for 30,000 lowers. Her price-point? $40ea. I had to cover material/packing. No damn way.
    I have a local buddy who owned a firearms joint. FFL, full production shop, he made his own AR specific stuff. Including uppers/lowers.
    He just sold it last year after he had a heart-attack (young guy!). He told me walking away from that industry was the best day of his life.
    He is also a life-long motor-head/hot-rodder. He took the money, paid off his house, and took a position with Holley Performance doing tech-support.
    He is happy as can be now.
    And, as long as the ATF still exists, they (AR's) will always be the target. I'm very much over that situation! I have sweat my last drop of sweat from that stress.

Ohh, and no, I wasn't making AR specific parts.

9. Likes Ox, triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    I'd rather go into hotdog sales......................if'n you're not already in the AR game, the money is pretty skimpy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see how it would be possible to make spec AR lowers for $40 each today. I'd guess the production cost of a spec forged AR is around $70 today in very large quantities.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see how it would be possible to make spec AR lowers for $40 each today. I'd guess the production cost of a spec forged AR is around $70 today in very large quantities.
    There are shops with the right equipment that can make a AR lower from a forging in under 15 min.
    $40 is super low but I've seen a lot of people paying around $50 each

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    There are shops with the right equipment that can make a AR lower from a forging in under 15 min.
    Doesn't matter. I couldn't care less. I'm not playing that game.

I had another guy come in. Wanted AR charging handles. I was like (in my head) okay whatever, its work.
    "Yea I've made them before. Do you have a model? How many do you want?"
    He was like no model. Don't care what they look like. As long as they function. I'll take a bunch (don't remember exact quantity).
    Says he has a local guy that does them for $10ea. But, he takes too long to deliver. I know the guy. Big player, awesome shop!
    So I'm like "okay, I'll make them". Next time I talk to the guy, the quantity is like 1/4 what it was. Of course price needs to stay planted.
    "NOPE! Go back to Dale. I'm not doing it!" Glad I had not ordered material yet cause I would have probably shoved it up his ass.
    Of course now I'm a dick and hard to work with. I'm just over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$10 from what?
    Must be taking from bar stock?

We run from extrusion, but it's not like you can bank on getting any of that in-house before this all come tumbling down.
    (32 weeks last I knew)

Heck, I still have thousands of them on my shelf yet...

Would like to purge the stock before this run finishes up.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    $10 from what?
    Must be taking from bar stock?

We run from extrusion, but it's not like you can bank on getting any of that in-house before this all come tumbling down.
    (32 weeks last I knew)

Heck, I still have thousands of them on my shelf yet...

Would like to purge the stock before this run finishes up.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yes, bar stock. I have no source for extrusion. I told him extrusion exists.
    He did not want to do the leg-work of finding it. And, I wasn't about to lay the coin out for it anyway.

I have 14,000units worth of custom extrusion for the big job I was running sitting here. Luckily for me it is customer supplied!
    I'm not interested in putting myself in that situation. It's bad enough I have to trip over this stuff for who knows how long?!
    Let alone pay for it!
    I do have about 4,000 worth of plain extruded bar for the other model that I supplied. At least its a couple common sizes I could eventually use for something.
    Might have to cut it in half to make useful? The custom extrusion? Nope, its scrap! $30+k worth of 6061, worth about $3k at the recycler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doesn't matter. I couldn't care less. I'm not playing that game.

I had another guy come in. Wanted AR charging handles. I was like (in my head) okay whatever, its work.
    "Yea I've made them before. Do you have a model? How many do you want?"
    He was like no model. Don't care what they look like. As long as they function. I'll take a bunch (don't remember exact quantity).
    Says he has a local guy that does them for $10ea. But, he takes too long to deliver. I know the guy. Big player, awesome shop!
    So I'm like "okay, I'll make them". Next time I talk to the guy, the quantity is like 1/4 what it was. Of course price needs to stay planted.
    "NOPE! Go back to Dale. I'm not doing it!" Glad I had not ordered material yet cause I would have probably shoved it up his ass.
    Of course now I'm a dick and hard to work with. I'm just over it.
    That the guy I sent over?

17. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eating $30k in materials and didn't sell the product to someone else. That's gotta mean either the market fell out or it got classified as NFA. I can't fathom very many other scenarios where one would willingly eat $30k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on fella's.
    Obviously he would rather not reveal the part(s).

Go speculate in some other thread somewhere.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Come on fella's.
    Obviously he would rather not reveal the part(s).

Go speculate in some other thread somewhere.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Hahahaha! I had to larf!
    I thought earlier, someone will soon write Puuuuullllllleeeeeaaaasssseeee Bill, tell us what you were making

21. Likes kustomizingkid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Hahahaha! I had to larf!
    I thought earlier, someone will soon write Puuuuullllllleeeeeaaaasssseeee Bill, tell us what you were making
    Well, we know it's not 250R cases lol.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Well, we know it's not 250R cases lol.
    Are you the one making them? I know they're made in OR.

I see there's soon to be a clutch cover to go with them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    And...When anodize and other issues rear thier ugly head...delete the anodize, delete some holes, a pocket milling op, get a 80% letter and rock on.

Move 'em to smaller market at $32. each in 100 lots and small sellers can pick up $25/$35 per unit.

But you gotta make hay because the rules may change.