CNCToolCat's Cat-House - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CNCToolCat's Cat-House

So, after having a good 2019, it was time to spend a little money and improve the shop a bit for 2020:

This Craftsman set is from Lowe’s, and is good quality for the money. Plus, the boxes are “Made in USA with global materials”.

So, for about the same money as the Chinese-made tool boxes from Home Depot and Harbor Freight, it was Craftsman for me...I buy USA when possible.

(I’m too cheap to shell out the big bucks for Vidmar, Lista and the like. In my opinion a cabinet is a cabinet, as long as the drawers open and close, it’s all good.)

Plus, a little new pallet rack action to help organize finished parts inventory:

I also installed Mitsubishi 0.4kw VFD’s to control the chip conveyor motors on the two QT28N lathes. Even with gear reducers, the original Jorgensen conveyors just ran too fast.

Now, they are smoothly rolling along at half speed, 30 hertz on the VFD’s. Plenty fast enough, and by cutting the speed in half, theoretically you double the life of the chip conveyor!

I added an auxiliary contact on the coolant pump contactor, to control the start/stop of the conveyor VFD’s. I like the conveyors to only run when the coolant is on.

The main 3-phase power to the VFD comes off the original conveyor contactor, which is ON all the time. (To the right of the coolant pump contactor in the center.)

Notice my "git r' done" approach, direct wire connections to the auxiliary contact on the coolant contactor, and use of a standard 14 ga. power cord for the VFD motor-start circuit.

Happy New Year to fellow PM’ers, hopefully it will be busy and prosperous for us all!

ToolCat Greg
    Last edited by cnctoolcat; 01-01-2020 at 07:50 PM.

2. Likes CBlair, Garwood, wheelieking71, SND, RF and 4 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, I almost forgot, I also picked up a Tschorn 3D indicator...after 23 years in business it was about time!

(Although to be fair, we do mostly turning work here at the Cathouse, using the Mazak VTC-16 mill only about 5 days a month, on a couple regular jobs that stay set up. I use the mill of course for tooling and little projects...and that's what this thing will really help with!)

These things should be mandatory on a vmc. It actually makes setting up a job fun!

I like this Tschorn model (actually the SavePlus “value” model), the spacing between graduations is nice and wide. It is only 50mm per revolution, requiring four full turns of the large needle to reach zero on the small needle.

Some 3D indicators are 100mm per revolution I believe? ...do they reach zero in two turns?

(I like having four turns to zero --- more safety cushion!)

Last edited by cnctoolcat; 01-03-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wait until you get an integrated probe CNCToolCat's Cat-House you will be even more gitty when it does math for you and tells you the diameter of that ring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Public service announcement:

Check your coolant tanks!

Some re-purposed Mazak sheet metal worked perfectly as a horizontal divider between the coolant and chip conveyor. (The original pieces were missing...)

ToolCat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was y'all lookin' fer in there?
    You know that there aint no Cadillac in the bottom of a Crackerjack box eh?

Coolant tanks and brake lines should be made out of SS!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

7. Likes as9100d, JP Machining liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mean you need to clean those every now and again?.......huh.................who'd a thunk.

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How long did it take to get that bad ? Interesting to see how much goes through the conveyor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    How long did it take to get that bad ? Interesting to see how much goes through the conveyor.
    I didn’t realize it, but it had been almost four years since I got this QT28 into service!

This machine runs 4140HT hot-roll bar exclusively, and the hot-roll scale builds up pretty bad.

We’re gonna put all three of the big Mazak lathes on a regular schedule for coolant-tank cleaning.

The irony is there were no symptoms of this chip/sludge fiasco, the high-pressure pump was never starved, and the coolant never stank! (We do skim the lube oil off the coolant daily using shop vacuums).

ToolCat

11. Likes Panza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    I didn’t realize it, but it had been almost four years since I got this QT28 into service!

This machine runs 4140HT hot-roll bar exclusively, and the hot-roll scale builds up pretty bad.

We’re gonna put all three of the big Mazak lathes on a regular schedule for coolant-tank cleaning.

The irony is there were no symptoms of this chip/sludge fiasco, the high-pressure pump was never starved, and the coolant never stank! (We do skim the lube oil off the coolant daily using shop vacuums).

ToolCat
    I have to clean out the coolant tank on my mill twice a year. I make almost exclusively small parts and that means small tools and small chips. I start to notice that I have to top off the tank more frequently. That is because the small chips start to take up the tanks capacity. I will get about 2/3 or more of a 5 gallon bucket each time I clean the tank.

I tried to put some screening material on top of the perforated screen but none of the three products I tried, home center stuff, worked all that well. Most got saturated and I had coolant running over the top and on the floor.

Have a good weekend and thanks for sharing.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prolly 10 gallons of coolant and 40 gallons of chips in that Mazak.........................

14. Likes CBlair, ranchak liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doin the nasty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recently I sold a couple machines to a buddy who has a shop in the next town over.

We said goodbye to the trusty Fadal 3016, as we only ran it a couple days a month. The floorspace became more important than the machine, as I have a Mazak vmc to run the one job on.

Also, I sold the ‘ol trusty QT10N, which had actually been in storage inside a container out back of the Cathouse.

I sold the machines with a “start up guarantee”, which did require a little sleuthing for the Mazak, as she was quite temperamental after having been stored for 2-1/2 years! But, with my stock of spare boards, I was able to bring the ‘ol girl back to life in good shape.

Here’s some pics of the loading out at the Cathouse:

17. Likes wheelieking71, solidworkscadman, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A) What's with the "Sold" sign?

B) Is that Fadal actually listing to one side?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My friend Charlie was too tight to hire an air-ride truck to haul the machines on, and I was fretting the straight truck’s rough ride would really test my “start up guarantee”!

The machines only had to go about 15 miles, and were none worse for the trip.

Here’s the machines in their new home:

While the riggers were gone with the first machine, the guys and me proceeded to move one of the gear hobs — we wanted to re-arrange both hobs to have a better work area.

We did enlist the rigger’s help to move the second machine when they got back. It was their forklift after all....

Here’s the original gear hob layout (notice the container outside where the QT10N was stored):

And here’s the new layout:

ToolCat Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    A) What's with the "Sold" sign?

B) Is that Fadal actually listing to one side?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The "Sold" sign was just a little shop humor...

The right fork on the big yellow lift was a tad lower than the left one, and did create some lean on the machines when loading. However, the Fadal isn't leaning near to what she looks in the picture...I reckon the camera angle exaggerated the lean??

21. Likes Ox liked this post