CNCToolCat's Cat-House - Page 13
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, those are a LOT more serviceable than anything newer than that.

I have those on my 1990 Tornos, but a late 90's Fanuc doesn't look like that at all, and it's only gotten smaller and more complex since then.

I don't know that stuff - other than looking for missing smoke and telling my EE to put it back in.
    I guess if you have a good one to cheat off of - then you can diagnose that a whole lot easier.

Good for you tho!
    I'm sure that you can milk that gen drives to the finish line from here eh?

edit:

OK, well the top one on this last post is busy.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ox,

Good observation! As the top pic in the 2nd post is from the newer MDS- generation drives.

That board is pretty much “unworkable” but there is a board on the other side that has replaceable caps (and other “big enough” components to replace):

And yes, having a “good” drive or board to measure up with the multi-meter is immense help in finding fault in the bad drive/board.

We’re still running an ‘85 QT20N with Mazatrol T2 control every day (big 40”Z box-way beaut), and two ‘88 QT15N’s w/T2 (first generation Mazak’s with linear rails).

With at least 10 or so more years till the finish line, at this point I’m gonna try to run with these old girls as long as I can keep them chugging.

We do run two ‘95 QT28’s with T32 and T-Plus controls that Im counting on for sure to give me another productive decade at least.

Alas though!

There is big news on the Cathouse front, and I’m looking forward to sharing pics soon. (Just can’t quite yet...CNCToolCat's Cat-House)

ToolCat

3. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did y'all study up on this?

Or just eventually see certain components blown and cheat off of a good one - 'till one day deciding to try your hand at swapping "one of those" out?

Meaning, can you look at a circuit and git the jist of what it's dooing?
    Are y'all able to look at a component (some common ones) and understand what fer reading that you would expect to see?

Know that you should or should not see a reading comming out that third leg of an and/or gate or whatnot?

I would think that would take quite some time to understand all that jazz....
    I'll stick to (600?)/480/240/120/24/12/5.
    THAT'S what I know!

Your daughter coming to werk for you?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CNCToolCat's Cat-House

Ox,

No schoolin’ in electronics for me. I was a machine shop guy in high school, industrial engineering at Vuh-jin-ya Tek.

Always been fascinated with electronic stuff, so I’ve learned as I went. The internet has been a wealth of knowledge!

By working with one machine brand since way back at my CM Hoist days in the early 90’s, I’ve managed to learn Yamazaki two-axis lathes and three-axis vmc’s pretty well.

All the electronics in a Mazak is Mitsubishi, and like most things Japanese each successive generation is just an evolvement of precious generations (generally speaking...CNCToolCat's Cat-HouseCNCToolCat's Cat-House).

Spare parts are plentiful on older Mazak’s thanks to eBay, and I’ve amassed quite the collection of spare boards, drives, power supplies, servos, encoders, switches, sensors, ...anything electronic that could possibly fail.

There is some serious satisfaction to be had when you plug in your newly rebuilt electronic component (realizing your rebuild is based on a “shotgun in the dark” approachCNCToolCat's Cat-House) and it fires up and operates like a boss. CNCToolCat's Cat-House

One tool I need to invest in (badly) is a nice oscilloscope.

It’s a miracle I’ve been able to repair as much as I have in the past 2-1/2 decades without using an o-scope! CNCToolCat's Cat-House

ToolCat

6. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, barbter, Garwood, RF and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post

One tool I need to invest in (badly) is a nice oscilloscope.
    The Rigol DS1054 is a great value for shop use at $350. Definitely get a 4 channel model, just debugging encoders uses 3 channels. Don't buy an old clunker. Get a newer one that you can screen capture and share here if you have questions.
    Of course, I'd prefer a $25k LeCroy, but that isn't as "disposable" as the Rigol.
    -Tony

8. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They don’t call me the ToolCat for nothing, brought this little stray home last week:

She was living in an old abandoned cabin out back from the girlfriend’s condo, and I first saw her about a week earlier while walking SWMBO’d near-blind little kitty Owen (yes he walks like a dog, stays right with you, injured as a kitten, sweet as can be.)

I’ve had two tom-kitty brothers for about 10 years now, (first 5 at the shop, last 5 here at the house ):

I lost my little female named Sabrina last year, had her for almost 15 years:

So, it only made sense to bring this luvable little stray home — she is adjusting well. Going to vet next week for fixin’...still no name yetCNCToolCat's Cat-House

ToolCat Greg

“The Cat King”

10. Likes RF, jmp, SND, Screwmachine, wheelieking71 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer120x View Post
    The Rigol DS1054 is a great value for shop use at $350. Definitely get a 4 channel model, just debugging encoders uses 3 channels. Don't buy an old clunker. Get a newer one that you can screen capture and share here if you have questions.
    Of course, I'd prefer a $25k LeCroy, but that isn't as "disposable" as the Rigol.
    -Tony
    Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for a scope for doing repairs on my own cnc equipment.
    These do look like a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing helpful other than i love the little boogies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d4a105f2-ebfc-4a69-b06d-b99bec06b524.jpg  

13. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like reading your threads as well as some others.
    funny about the Cats. We have a 27 year old son with Down syndrome. Since the China cough we took him out of all his activites as well as his Job with the city( they shut down). Anyway Wife decided he needed a cat at the shop with us as he works there also, figured he would learn to take care of it and stuff even though he has 3 at home and he would keep the mice away.
    Anyway its his best friend and there like glue together when he is there. Anthony checks parts and the kitten helps and watches. When he goes home for the day he puts the chair in Front of the machine and the Cat watches the machine run for hours. doors open or closed he doesnt care. The more chips flying the more interested the cat is.
    was filling up way lube the other day and spilled some on the floor. went and filled the machine came back to clean it up and he's drinking it. WTF? had to start keeping the pales high and out of reach as the cat licks the edges of it. Wife and Kid named him Alloy, should have Named him Way Lube.

img_0742a.jpg

img_0720a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got another cat a few months ago, Wife was out front and this kitten staggered up to her, horribly abused tail broken in 3 places, left eyeball hanging out on her face, road rash everywhere from being tossed from a moving car is my guess. ASSHOLES that do this need the same treatment. Wife took it to the vet, they removed the eyeball and sewed it closed and whatever else they did for the 800.00+ they charged. Lots more than the .22 I was going to fix it with, but it was worth it. Friendliest cat I have ever seen. We call her stray cat, she will come when called like a dog.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't understand how people can do that to animals.

Two of ours were rescues from a dumpster. One's super loveable and the other one is a psychotic princess.
    kittens.jpg

17. Likes RF, jmp, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hate cats and my daughter's love them. We have a shop cat that stinks up the place. But it does keep the mice and spiders out so there's that. Everyone seems to want to kill the snakes when they get in to eat the mice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk