Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's some pics of the splined shafts we make:

img_3224.jpgimg_3226.jpgimg_3227.jpgshop3-10-028.jpgshop3-10-134.jpg

I purchased two Barber-Colman 16-16 gear hobbers from a dealer (via Ebay of course!), for just a bit above scrap value. These 16-16's were the standard of the gear cutting industry for many decades, with thousands of them still out there in daily use.

The machines are late 70's models, which is near the end of the production run by BC. They came out of Caterpillar in Joliet, IL. These machines are mechanical marvels! When you look at the exploded views in the parts manual, it will blow your mind!

I had to do some tuning on them, adjust this here, fix that there. The main drive pulley on one was wallered out, so I removed the shaft, turned it down, made a bushing, and fixed that mess. The other had a main gear that was slipping a little on a shaft, so a new moon key and loctite fixed that. One machine had a stuck reversing-contactor, so I took that apart and fixed it. (May have been the reason Cat surplused the machines??) I rewired motors to run on 240V, and made adapter plates and installed new, self-centering 4-jaw Bison chucks (Ebay).

I had a helluva time getting a good finish on the splines when I first started. I had noticed the same finish irregularities in my competitor's shafts, and I wanted to do better!! After tightening and tweaking everything I could, I was about to just accept the finish and drive on, as Ox says.

But one day, I was at a good customer's plant (where I used to work), and noticed they were hobbing a big gear on a 16-16, and getting a great finish! Hmmm, what's up here?? Well, just by sheer dumb luck, as they were not running the machine at the time, I did notice by how the machine was parked that they were _climb_ hobbing. Could this be the secret?

I ran back to the shop, installed another idler gear in the feed box, which reverses the direction of the carriage feed, threw a part in, and cut away. As it was climb hobbing, I could not believe my eyes!! The finish was obviously better, and the cutting action was way smoother as well.

I figure the old girls must have climb-hobbed their whole life, and the wear patterns in all the gearing and shafting and ways just liked the climb better. So that is my secret. (Don't tell the competition!) I can honestly lay my shaft on the desk beside another shop's shaft, and it's easy to see which splines have a better finish.

On edit: Whew...I finally was able to resize a shot of one of the 16-16's. I load directly from my computer, versus from Photobucket...

Catman
    Last edited by cnctoolcat; 09-08-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the climb hob story. Some luck and some (customer-focused) obsession can go a long way towards doing great work.

Regarding the machine's trip from Illinois to Virginia, I'm wondering how that was accomplished. Did you trust a carrier, or did you go fetch them yourself?

3. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a freight broker to line up flatbed truck transport. Usually has other stuff on the truck, so cost isn't as bad as you might think. About $1000 I believe from IL to VA, back in 2009. Local rigger unloaded and set them for me.

I just now realized I didn't post overall pics of the gear hobbing machines! Yet upon trying to do so, the file sizes are too big! So, I will have to take more pictures with my smaller camera next week, and post some then.

5. Likes S_W_Bausch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You doo realize (well, I guess you don't - dumb question) that you CAN resize pics?

You can even save the smaller one sepparate from the original in case you don't want to lose the big file...

If you load them to Photobucket, they will resize for you automatically.

-----------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You doo realize (well, I guess you don't - dumb question) that you CAN resize pics?

You can even save the smaller one sepparate from the original in case you don't want to lose the big file...

If you load them to Photobucket, they will resize for you automatically.

-----------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!
    I use the Paint program (that comes with Windows) to resize photos.

Get the image into Paint.

Click on Image.
    Select Stretch.
    Enter some % (less than 100%) for Horizontal and Vertical axii.

Then Save As .JPG.

You may also find that simply opening the image in Paint and then Save As .JPG will reduce the size of the image by 50% or so. I just confirmed with a 640 by 480 image. Camera created it as 117kb, after simply Save As with Paint, it shrunk to 60kb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats some great looking work on those shafts Catman, and loved the story about the B/C machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RESPECT catman !
    I'll be asking you the paint code on the Mazak's for
    our QT8 soon enough

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which of the lathes is in the pics?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Keep the pics coming, Catman.

Quote Originally Posted by S_W_Bausch View Post
    I use the Paint program (that comes with Windows) to resize photos.

Get the image into Paint.

Click on Image.
    Select Stretch.
    Enter some % (less than 100%) for Horizontal and Vertical axii.

Then Save As .JPG.

You may also find that simply opening the image in Paint and then Save As .JPG will reduce the size of the image by 50% or so. I just confirmed with a 640 by 480 image. Camera created it as 117kb, after simply Save As with Paint, it shrunk to 60kb.
    Much easier way is to install free Microsoft Powertoys Image resizer. Works with XP and newer. Really easy to use. Right click on a single picture (or group of selected pics), click 'resize image' now in the right click drop down menu, select the desired image size, then click OK.

Resizer will make a copy of the resized image and add (Medium) at the end of the file name if you selected medium size (800 x 600 pixels).

Resizing images on the computer makes uploading to Photobucket or Craigslist MUCH faster. No need to upload a 4 Meg file when CL will just resize it to 20kb anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-image-resizer.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is some pics of the 1985 Mazak QT20N that I bought back in 2006. The machine was a mess when I got it...as the first 3 pics show. Took lots of cleaning and sanding to get her ready for paint. I had to have new sheet metal made. The original door looked like it had been hit with a grenade, the firewall had been beat up, and the sliding Z-axis way cover was bent all to heck.

Mazak actually could provide the new sheet metal parts, but at a cost that was frightening! So, I had a local laser/sheet metal shop cut me new pieces, that I was able to use to make all new parts. For the door, I used the edge detail from the old door, and welded a new flat panel on the front, to make a like-new door. The firewall was rebuilt in a similar way, I used the edge details of the original, and welded on a new flat sheet. JB Weld was used as "bondo". The sliding Z-axis cover was basically just a big piece of sheetmetal, bent at 90 degees, a few tabs welded on, and it was good to go.

The gearbox seen in pic 2 had noisy gears. Mazak wanted $5k for 4 new gears, so to heck with that. I had successfully removed the gearbox on an older QT10, so that's what I did here. A new 1" thick aluminum mounting plate moved the spindle motor over to the position of the original gearbox, and new belts took care of that. The machine has a 20hp (peak) spindle motor, with pulley reduction, and since I do almost no large diameter work (larger than 8" o.d.), not having the gearbox has never been an issue. The spindle is smoooooth....

(More pics on the next post...)

backuppictures-312.jpgbackuppictures-313.jpgbackuppictures-314.jpgbackuppictures-310.jpgbackuppictures-273.jpg

13. Likes Philabuster, Jashley73, cpifer3, MotoX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, here's more pics of the rebuilt QT20N.

First pic shows new spindle drive setup, without the gearbox. Motor mounted on new aluminum plate where original gearbox was.
    Second pic shows rear of carriage, with new Z-axis cover visible. Notice the size of the Z-axis box ways!

Third pic is coolant tank ready for paint. It had lots of pitting on the inside. After wire brushing and thoroughly cleaning, I used liquid Devcon to line the inside of the bottom of the tank. So far so good...

Pic 4 shows (nearly) completed machine, with chip conveyor I sourced via Ebay!

backuppictures-281.jpgbackuppictures-285.jpgbackuppictures-309.jpgbackuppictures-289.jpg

15. Likes Philabuster, Lyk31337, zoeper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She sure is purdy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man - you do nice work toolcat...

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: CNCToolCat's Cat-House

Mazak blue everywhere. Man that must be fun restoring those, especially to the extent you do. Great looking shop.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool thread, cool shop catman.......glad OX got you going in it agin...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some more random pics:
    img_2607.jpgimg_3027.jpgimg_3231.jpgshop3-10-012.jpgshop3-10-110.jpg

21. Likes Lyk31337, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And a few more:
    shop3-10-035.jpgimg_2157.jpgbackuppictures-287.jpgbackuppictures-293.jpgimg_1979.jpg

23. Likes Philabuster, TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An American flag hanging behind a YaMazaki?

-------------------

He stopped loving her today...
    Ox

25. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

those worm screw looking shafts look like they were fun! nice job. details on the process? and whats the major O.D.? hard to tell how big they are in the pic.
    I really like your shop. personally HATE Mazatrol, but am fully aware of how awesome Mazak's are. You do a fine job of putting them back in service. VERY COOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's some pics of machines being worked on:
    recoverd.jpgbackuppictures-311.jpgimg_3208.jpgimg_0933.jpgimg_0922.jpg

28. Likes Philabuster liked this post