What's new
What's new

Construction begins on my new shop

masterg

Aluminum
Well construction has started on my new shop. I kept waiting for a better time to start the construction - you know, better financial situation, more spare time, etc...I finally decided that those perfect times never get here and I need to just get started and find a way to make it happen. The footings for 3 of the 4 walls were poured a few weeks ago. Pics here..
DSCN1182medium.jpg

DSCN1197medium.jpg

DSCN1184medium.jpg

DSCN1188medium.jpg

DSCN1183medium.jpg

DSCN1195medium.jpg

DSCN1190medium.jpg

The finished shop will be 40'x60'. The slope of the area is rather severe from front to back - drops 4 feet. I considered several options to deal with the slope, but finally decided to have 3 walls built, and then fill the inside slowly, compacting the fill as I go. When we get the interior close to the final level, we will pour the last wall and then finish compacting to the final level.
More pictures when I get a chance. The 3 walls were poured 10 days ago while I was out of town at gunsmithing school.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Tim

Wasn't quite sure what the cutie was selling in the 2nd pic, untill I got to the last pic and seen that there was some ugly old cuss selling the same thing.

Is it just that pics don't show grade well? Or is that building gunna fill with water when it rains?

---------------

Hope all goes well...
Ox

Tim,

Even if the fill costs a bit more make sure it is at least 99% machine compactable. I filled my shop floor with inexpensive river run and ran a vibratory plate over it...it was cost effective but didn't compact well. Wet sand/water placed with a mixer is almost 100% compacted when it hits the ground and will result in a great, solid platform for a poured floor...maybe your cement contractor knows all this already. What a wonderful looking setting for a shop.

Stuart

Ox,
I am not sure what you are referring to, but the grade drops 2.5 feet in elevation from the driveway to the front of the shop (45 feet away). It then drops 4 feet in elevation over the 60 feet of shop from front to back. I think I am going to need some kind of drain in the approach to the shop roll-up door to keep out the water running down the slope.

Tim

Stuart,
My concrete contractor has been helping me through tis process. He has schooled me on the importance of doing a good job of compacting the fill as we add it and spread it out in the interior. I am lucky that the location is right next to the driveway. Really close to the electrical service and the propane tank, too. Although I have since decided not to use propane for the in-floor heat. Going with geo-thermal instead. More out of pocket up front, but the thought of using propane in the long term scares me. It is bad enough heating the house. I just had to take down some trees to make some room for the shop. Still have some trees/shrubbs to remove. The concrete contractor is working faster than I can keep up. Better that way than me waiting for him.
Thanks for looking.
Tim

Sounds like you understood my post just fine to me. ???

Propane = $1.16/gal currently
and with the price of Natural, I would expect it to stay low for a while.

???

Drains freeze in Illinois don't they?

First spring storm rolls through in early March...
Drains are all froze yet...
2' deep snow lining the driveway, creating a funnel for the rain ... ratt to your door...

Not sayin' to not put the drain in - but I would plan for 100% surface drainage!
Somehow git that drive crowned with a make-shift river around both sides of the building if possible.

I have a building at the low spot and we have been fortunate enough that a french drain has kept up with the requirements.

-----------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Propane = $1.16/gal currently
and with the price of Natural, I would expect it to stay low for a while.

???
Ox.
I never really ran the numbers, I was told that the geo-thermal would be much more cost efficient. However you did make me curious so I looked at my last propane bill from a couple of months ago and I am paying $2.19 per gallon her in Illinois. That is quite a difference.
Tim

Drains freeze in Illinois don't they?

First spring storm rolls through in early March...
Drains are all froze yet...
2' deep snow lining the driveway, creating a funnel for the rain ... ratt to your door...

Not sayin' to not put the drain in - but I would plan for 100% surface drainage!
Somehow git that drive crowned with a make-shift river around both sides of the building if possible.

I have a building at the low spot and we have been fortunate enough that a french drain has kept up with the requirements.

-----------------

Ox,
I was thinking of putting in a channel or trench drain, something like this:
Pro Series Channel Drain System
Maybe this will take care of the water coming down the slope?
Thanks for the input.
Tim

Here are some more pictures of the site after the walls were poured on the West, South and East sides.
DSCN1217Large.jpg

DSCN1208medium.jpg

DSCN1219medium.jpg

DSCN1210medium.jpg

DSCN1218medium.jpg

I have almost all of the polystyrene insulation glued to the inside of the walls. I hope to finish tomorrow and start spreading the fill sand. My concrete contractor dropped off 4 loads of the sand today!
Woo Hoo!!
Tim

Last edited:
Check what your cost for gas is currently.
I bet it aint $2.16 anymore!

Will it be next winter?
My guy says that he expects it to stay put until after elections.
(I have no clue what "elections" has to doo with fuel costs in the short term?)

If you doo pony up for the high $ system, could you go bigger for a little more $ and be able to drive the house from it too? (Any better bang/$)

-----------------------

Scrolling side to side on this post is a pita. Do you own your propane tank? I own mine so I can have it filled by whoever will give me the lowest price, I filled last week for 1.20 / gal
If your propane suppler owns the tank they are the only people that can fill it so they are happy to screw you on the price. Usually .60 to 1.00 higher

Hi I see your lookin at geo thermal heat I dont want to scar you away from it but look around your area and talk to people who actuely live with it. Im from north dakata and geo thermal has been getting big here for awhile now every budy thinks its so great and cheap to operate tell they have it. very rarly do I hear somebudy talking it up after they have it. I cant tell you propane prices here but I can tell you most people around here that run propane have switched over to electric and use propane as a back up. propane prices change over night all the time electric is alot stabler in price. you may also look into off peek power. the best thing is get the pipe in the concret and then you can worry about how your going to aperate it

Scrolling side to side on this post is a pita.
I tried to change the size of the pictures. I hope this helps.
Do you own your propane tank? I own mine so I can have it filled by whoever will give me the lowest price, I filled last week for 1.20 / gal
If your propane suppler owns the tank they are the only people that can fill it so they are happy to screw you on the price. Usually .60 to 1.00 higher
I do not own my propane tank, it is owned by the propane company. I did switch propane suppliers last year and the prices were not all that different between the old and new suppliers.

ford460,
I have spoken with several people that I work with and they are very happy with their geothermal heating, and even happier with their lower utility bills. The people that are unhappy seem to be those in my area that have systems installed by a newcomer to geothermal installations - maybe they do not understand how to install the systems correctly?

Tim

The project continues.
My contractor delivered 4 loads of fill sand the other day. :)
I am almost complete with the insulation. Now the real work begins.
DSCN1230Medium.jpg

DSCN1231Medium.jpg

Tim

Hello Tim,

Your shop is coming along nicely :) . It sure is exciting to build your own shop. You likely have everything all planned out, but in case you haven't, what will you do to fireproof the foam that will stick above the floor? I poured an ICF foundation and ended up cutting strips of cement board, "Durock", and tacking them in place before pouring the floor. After the framing was done, I glued more strips on top of the wall to fireproof the top edge of the foam.

Nice work and keep the photos coming...

Brian

Make sure they put a good drain tile around the perimeter at the foot level (perforated drain pipe surrounded by gravel with a double layer of landscaping fabric surrounding the gravel outside).

The grading inside and outside MUST provide for water drainage away from the shop. Otherwise, I can guarantee you will have all sort of problems from flooding to garage door frozen shut.

Hello Tim,

Your shop is coming along nicely :) . It sure is exciting to build your own shop. You likely have everything all planned out, but in case you haven't, what will you do to fireproof the foam that will stick above the floor? I poured an ICF foundation and ended up cutting strips of cement board, "Durock", and tacking them in place before pouring the floor. After the framing was done, I glued more strips on top of the wall to fireproof the top edge of the foam.

Nice work and keep the photos coming...

Brian

Brian,
I haven't thought that far ahead with respect to the insulation. :o I have actually been trying to decide if I will cut the insulation off just at floor level either before or after the floor is poured, and then cover the edge of the insulation with a thin piece of sheetmetal all the way around the perimeter of the floor. This will hopefully keep the insulation from getting damaged and becoming a trench for garbage. It may also make it difficult to place any kind of shelving or cabinets against the walls if there is a insulation gap.

I am not familiar with the term "ICF foundation". This is my first real construction project, previously I have only built walls to partially finish my basement. This project will be a challenge.

Tim

Make sure they put a good drain tile around the perimeter at the foot level (perforated drain pipe surrounded by gravel with a double layer of landscaping fabric surrounding the gravel outside).

The grading inside and outside MUST provide for water drainage away from the shop. Otherwise, I can guarantee you will have all sort of problems from flooding to garage door frozen shut.

Michael,
I just got back from Menard's with some drain tile. You are a good straight man. :) I am going to hopefully get some of the drain tile installed later this week. Pictures later.

Tim

Back