Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing new with business. I'm living in my shop now but have yet to move any of my machinery into it. I've been at it building the new house full time and I'm on a schedule to get it done by the deadline for my construction loan so I won't be making any chips until it is done. I did finally get around to editing a full time lapse of the shop build. Almost a year condensed into 60 seconds:

2. Likes DrHook, wheelieking71, RF, Garwood, cnctoolcat and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice! I do want to do that! (Build a big shop with smaller living space on/in or under it)
    Enjoy and thx for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Powdered Metalurgy

Hey... Great to see continued progress on the shop and house... As well as on the kids.

I really enjoyed your You Tube episodes 6 and 7 on powdered metalurgy.
    You clearly had access to information on tool design that let you estimate
    target part weight, powder volume before compression, compression force, etc.

Could you please share some of the sources. I'm trying to make small parts and
    am having a devil of a time finding information on the web.

Thanks in advance.

DrDagor

Quote Originally Posted by goldenfab View Post
    Around late 2016 my wife and I start thinking about getting a bigger place. My father in-law comes up to visit a lot and we talked about him having an in-law sweet at the house. By 2017 we find a vacant lot we like, only issue will be water as nothing is advertised in the listing or the realtor so we assume we will need a well and wells in the area are hit and miss. One of the closest neighbors well puts out 1/4 gal/min. We make an offer on the land with a well contingency. I have a well driller scheduled to drill during escrow and the day before we drill I get all the disclosures from the title company and with it is a shared well agreement with a different neighbor. I end up having the well tested (12gal/min) and we decide not do drill. Turns out the realtor is a moron. We buy the lot in March 2017 with the plan that I do all the building , and by build I mean I do the building without a contractor. The business does not have a lot of traction yet so financially I'll probably save more money building than I would making money making parts, the deciding factor is however I always wanted to build a house.

Attachment 248390

The plan is to build the shop first, move into it, sell our current house, and then build the new house. I settle on a 34'x54'x16' +12' roof only lean to steel building with the last 14' of it being a two story living area. Here is a layout I did of the floor plan. I don't have the VMC yet but am planning to have room for one.

Attachment 248391
    Zoning won't allow me to permit the shop without a permit for the house so I get to work designing the house which turns out to suck up way more time than I thought. I do all the usual stuff like contact the building department to see what their requirements. I buy the Code book they use and start reading and drafting. During this time I borrow a skid steer from my Dad and clear some of the brush to get a feel for the land.

Attachment 248392

A while later I borrowed his backhoe and dug the septic test holes, the city requires a septic permit before you apply for a building permit. The county does not like the dirt (rock) and says I'll need an 'alternate system'. I managed to design the septic system and get a permit but it was a major headache and took a lot of time due to it being non-standard.

Attachment 248393

After like a year of monkeying around figuring everything out with the plans I finally submit for the first permit spring of 2018 and by the summer and over $5,000 later in fees so someone else can tell me what I can do on my own property I get all my permits. The approved plans are here if anyone is interested in taking a peek.
    http://goldenfab.com/temp_share/Hous...Plans_Rev-.pdf
    http://goldenfab.com/temp_share/Hous...lans_Rev_1.pdf

The house has some "passive solar" design features like sizing the roof overhangs to get sunlight in the winter and shade in the summer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DrDagor View Post
    Hey... Great to see continued progress on the shop and house... As well as on the kids.

I really enjoyed your You Tube episodes 6 and 7 on powdered metalurgy.
    You clearly had access to information on tool design that let you estimate
    target part weight, powder volume before compression, compression force, etc.

Could you please share some of the sources. I'm trying to make small parts and
    am having a devil of a time finding information on the web.

Thanks in advance.

DrDagor
    Attached are two pictures of my notes. Most of the parameters for my starting point came from searching patents. I don't have much else to share. I remember it being hard to find information on. I left off with my last youtube video on the subject you had seen Shop Talk: Episode 7 - Powdered Metal Parts 2nd Attempt - YouTube. If you have anything to share of your powdered metal work I would love to see.

powdered_meal_notes_1.jpg
    powdered_meal_notes_2.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm still on hiatus with my business. I moved into my shop last fall and partly due to people getting silly over covid I wasn't able to get my old house sold until this summer at which was a big relief to have one less payment and get some equity out f the place. My construction loan works on reimbursement after the work is done which may be fine for contractors who get paid when they are done but its silly for me because I'm getting the loan because I don't have the money. I was up over 80k on credit cards at one point which was stressful. It took some juggling but I was able to pay off the balance every statement. I had to move my machinery out of my old garage into the new shop this summer but nothing is setup because I'm still full time building the new house. The original plan was to have finished by March of 2020 and I'm still at it..... 6-7 days a week sun up to sun down. I had to get a construction loan extension which is about to run out again and a few days ago I had to get an extension on my building permit for an additional 6 months. So is life, over budget and past due....

Here is a spoiler on the house progress. I have nearly a TB of video and pics to sort through, I plan on doing a video build series on youtube but I don't have time for that right now.

7. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, Garwood, Blackrainstorm liked this post