What's new
What's new

how did you get started

DONALDT

Plastic
Hello to everyone I am knew to the forum. I am currenly taking some cnc classes. but with all this knowledge here I think I just waiseting my time at school. Anyways I wanted to buy some machines to set up in my garage to practice and eventually start my own shop. how do you go about dealling with the noise of the machines,and air compressor, and most important how do you get jobs.

Hey Donaldt

I guess the 1st ? is how much exsperiance do you have?

Exsperiance you cant put a price on it, it really helps when quoting jobs , for you and the customer.

Ive been self employed for almost 10 yrs now , and still look for answeres on some things.
I have 22 yrs experiance but otheres can allways help ya out.

As far as getting jobs, well get some good business cards, talk to everyone you now that may be able to help you get your foot in the door at a company. Word of mouth I found is the best advertisement you can have. It takes time but it will all come togethere.
Theres gonna be times you wished you kept you othere job, belive me Ive been there.

I hope this gives you a idea of what to exspect.
Anothere thing to that goes with being self-employed is that you are

The owner
The secratary
The janitor
The delivery man
The bidder
Everything that makes a business work.
Not a lot of free time, at least in the begining.

Dont get me wrong Im not trying to discourage you , just as one self-employed guy to anothere letting you know what to exspect.

This country needs a lot of folks like you , keep the work here.

I got so rapped up with all the othere stuff I forgot you asked about the noise..............have good neighbors and treat them like you would like to be treated. I started off in a subdavision, it was really good because I was there most of the day and they looked at it like a free security system. They liked the fact that somone was around the area all day long. you get to know what vehicals need to be there and not, let them know that to and they will acept what you are doing even better. I tried to stop what I was doing in the warm months at 8 Pm . The winter no one is out to much anyway, plus I loaded my shop up with plenty of insulation for that mer fact.

Good Luck I hope you do well.

zmachine first of I want to say thank you for the replY I REALLY APPRECIATE. IT good to know what to look out and expect onces I get started. Its hard enought to start up a shop but people like you make it just a bit easier lol.
anyways thanks again.
god bless.

Back