What's new
What's new

JP's shop

JP Machining

Stainless
Well I figured its time to start a proper shop thread seeing as I will get old waiting for Wrustle or Ox to finish theirs :rolleyes5:
My first machine several years ago now;
DSCN0473.jpg

A couple manual machines laying around;
DSCN0471.jpg

DSCN0470.jpg

More to come.......

and probably sooner than wrustle updates, lol

Picked up a turning center from David N a few years ago, been chugging along good, cept for the monitor dieing on me last weekend
Runs a 1.50" sandvik corodrill 880 through 4" of steel pretty nicely on regular occasion, iirc it takes like 27 secs to punch that hole in
DSCN0468.jpg

This saw has been a life saver, and oldie but the full auto is like having an employee around
DSCN0469.jpg

Picked up and old CMM a couple years ago, works good in place of buying a crapload of specialized measuring tools, but does need a proper calibration one of these days, so far I've just been checking it with gage blocks and such and for what I do with it thats fine for now.
DSCN0467.jpg

That's a nice looking Monarch, since I'm just a podunk wanna-be handle cranker, manual is all I understand.:D

I picked that up from the local tech college. Was the old behemoth in the back of the shop that everyone was scared to run so it barely got used. Ways are still in pristine condition.

Some work pics
Some paper mill parts they wanted lightened up, had somewhere close to 100 of them to do iirc, made some damn good money on that job, then the mill shut down a couple years later:angry:
domtarcorechuck.gif

Made some foam parts that molds were layed up from to make the carbon fiber recumbent seats from in the background
volaeseatproto2.jpg

Another big paper mill job
DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

Course got to have a way to lift things and get around in tightly packed machines (have a big joe walkie stacker too, but his feet are so damn wide can't get him most places). So I built a tool box with a counterweighted and outrigger swivel crane on it. Good for 500 lbs at max reach which is the length of the tool box, will do 1k lbs a notch in closer with the hoist doubled up but typically used all the way out. Came in real handy for lifting the spindle motor off the Haas to put new springs in the drawbar a few months ago.
IMG_20120925_191028.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Picked up and old CMM a couple years ago, works good in place of buying a crapload of specialized measuring tools, but does need a proper calibration one of these days, so far I've just been checking it with gage blocks and such and for what I do with it thats fine for now.
DSCN0467.jpg

Can you find a qualifying sphere somewhere? I'd bet Mitutoyo will sell you one for a boatload of cash! :fight:

I have the sphere, you can just make it out in the photo in the back right corner of the work envelope, and it has a calibration sticker on it for what it was measured at, use it every time the machine gets used

Got a new shop dog a few months ago, turned 5 months old last weekend. When I can get her to sleep in the office and don't have to stop her from eating something in the shop shes pretty good.
DSCN0999_zps393wfte0.jpg

Now getting up to present day

Those are the counterweights, had to dress them up a little bit :D 500 lbs a piece, I really could loose one of them though, damn thing is hard to push around

New Machine Day!

Well sort of. kind of a some assembly required machine day....
DSCN1016_zpssfgyynq3.jpg

Have been jotting notes about a plasma table for a few years and kicking myself for not having one on a couple of jobs, so the build begins after a customer of mine said he would send me work for it as soon as its built. Why build instead of buy, cause I can that's why (and its alot cheaper)

It will be a 5x10 with water table, ac servo drives, linear rails, and an attached rotary axis for cutting round pipe or square/ rectangular tubing up to about 16" diameter and 10' long

Got a new shop dog a few months ago, turned 5 months old last weekend. When I can get her to sleep in the office and don't have to stop her from eating something in the shop shes pretty good.

I've had my pup at the shop every day since he was 4 months old. It's fun on the whole. He never drinks coolant or chews on wires.

I have noticed that if I'm out in the shop all day, the pup is out there all day. If I'm moving, so is he. He will settle down in the afternoon if I'm just standing at a machine. If I'm working in the office, he'll just sleep on the couch.

He's almost a year old now. All the delivery drivers know him and bring him treats. My guys and I play with him all day. By Friday afternoon, he's whipped just like the rest of us!

My pup is hell on pallets. He loves chewing on wood. Cardboard is also fair game. Sometimes I think he's part beaver.

Back