Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: JP's shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good shop thread!

How did it all start ,is it just you and the dog ? or do you have employee(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JP,
    Nice job(s), Glad to see your new employee is comfy, every shop needs a dog. The crane on the roll about is quite the innovation I like it; just might have to pinch your idea on that.
    Best of luck!!

3. Likes JP Machining liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sable View Post
    Good shop thread!

How did it all start ,is it just you and the dog ? or do you have employee(s)
    Just me and the dog, sometimes I can get my dad to help me out when something requires 2 people. Got out of tech college and worked for a guy for awhile as the only employee, figured I was doing almost everything at that place, shouldn't be too hard to just be the owner too. Have the shop right on our farm, love the 1 min walk to work every morning instead of driving 30 min to town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    Just me and the dog, sometimes I can get my dad to help me out when something requires 2 people. Got out of tech college and worked for a guy for awhile as the only employee, figured I was doing almost everything at that place, shouldn't be too hard to just be the owner too. Have the shop right on our farm, love the 1 min walk to work every morning instead of driving 30 min to town.
    Sounds like a similar setup to me ,I am also on the family farm which takes up quite a bit of my time as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Picked up a turning center from David N a few years ago, been chugging along good, cept for the monitor dieing on me last weekend
    Runs a 1.50" sandvik corodrill 880 through 4" of steel pretty nicely on regular occasion, iirc it takes like 27 secs to punch that hole in
    I miss that ol girl.......................hindsight I should have kept her around.

Nice seein your place. Make sure you have plenty of updates and pictures of the plasma build. I started with some ideas of my own, but they all go shoved on the back burner.

7. Likes JP Machining liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 on the plasma build. Looking forward to seeing what you make.

And great shop too - looking forward to more.

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome shop, thanks for sharing. Keep us updated on the plasma build, I like many here have dreams of building one someday.
    Farm life is great. I grew up on a dairy farm. Now out on my own we are starting a small beef operation.

10. Likes JP Machining, sable liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+ another on the plasma build. I'm VERY interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It will be a 5x10 with water table, ac servo drives, linear rails, and an attached rotary axis for cutting round pipe or square/ rectangular tubing up to about 16" diameter and 10' long
    It's kinda neat how they hung the rotary off the edge of the table. It's along the lines of my thinking if I ever get to buildin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like that deer head, even tho missing brow tine. Wiscosin buck?

14. Likes JP Machining liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    Awesome shop, thanks for sharing. Keep us updated on the plasma build, I like many here have dreams of building one someday.
    Farm life is great. I grew up on a dairy farm. Now out on my own we are starting a small beef operation.
    We used to have beefers for probably 25 years, sold them all and now just crop farm, don't miss the cows one bit, especially when its below zero outside.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stonehaven View Post
    I like that deer head, even tho missing brow tine. Wiscosin buck?
    Yep, shot right in back yard, iirc 134-5/8" score. There's a few good ones around every year it seems, got a shed form a huge 20 pointer a few years ago, neighbor behind us got him the next year, though a bit smaller then the shed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    It's kinda neat how they hung the rotary off the edge of the table. It's along the lines of my thinking if I ever get to buildin.
    Thats basically what I want to build, but the gantry will be wide enough that the torch just drives over to it rather than manualing moving the torch. Plus my way, I can cut square tubing as the torch will still have Y axis past the center line of the rotary. Possibly in the future I might be able to add being able to tilt the torch for better coping of pipe, for now the torch will remain at vertical.

Started cutting tube this morning while the lathe is running, got get the saw horses setup and start doing frame setup before long. Linear rail got shipped from vendor today, and the rest of the servos and drives just showed up.

18. Likes csharp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Amada Quatro laser machine has a rotary built into the table that is similar to what you described. Worth a quick look for the video or some photos of it just to see if anything peaks your interest.

Charles

20. Likes JP Machining liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We used to have beefers for probably 25 years, sold them all and now just crop farm, don't miss the cows one bit, especially when its below zero outside.
    Wow not sure I like you now [sarcasm]

How can you miss this!
    10855001_382963915211565_4341147393601297793_o.jpg
    20150126_163754.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats basically what I want to build, but the gantry will be wide enough that the torch just drives over to it rather than manualing moving the torch. Plus my way, I can cut square tubing as the torch will still have Y axis past the center line of the rotary. Possibly in the future I might be able to add being able to tilt the torch for better coping of pipe, for now the torch will remain at vertical.

Started cutting tube this morning while the lathe is running, got get the saw horses setup and start doing frame setup before long. Linear rail got shipped from vendor today, and the rest of the servos and drives just showed up.
    What kind of rails are they?

Country
    CANADA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love that you have a CMM. One of the only shop pics with a CMM in it.

24. Likes JP Machining liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    What kind of rails are they?
    I got some Hiwin rails and bearings for decent price, sure they aren't THK's but they are better than the v-wheel systems you see alot of home built plasma's running, and I plan on making money with this table.

26. Likes csharp liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cncdumm View Post
    I love that you have a CMM. One of the only shop pics with a CMM in it.
    I found it for a good deal, and was at the point in my shop where I either needed to get a cmm or spend a pile of money on a bunch more measuring tools and surface plate. It doesn't get used enough that I'm real good at running it (it is cnc controled, or is it dcc) but I manage when I need it. Comes in real handy for reverse engineering an outer profile of an odd shaped part. I can just have it follow the contour and take a hit every little bit and then I can save an iges of the profile.

Country
    CANADA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found it for a good deal, and was at the point in my shop where I either needed to get a cmm or spend a pile of money on a bunch more measuring tools and surface plate. It doesn't get used enough that I'm real good at running it (it is cnc controled, or is it dcc) but I manage when I need it. Comes in real handy for reverse engineering an outer profile of an odd shaped part. I can just have it follow the contour and take a hit every little bit and then I can save an iges of the profile.
    I think its good to have it. You might find really good use for it later that will save ur butt for sure. Maybe something too big you can't measure the dimensions of with hand tools, so you throw it onto the CMM and measure it. Its a little slow but your CMM is probably the best big micrometer in your shop. Its a mitutoyo no less!