Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    Average cost of living is insane. My little house is going to sell for $800k in Gilroy California 1 hour from San Jose.
    How much per year do you have to earn to afford that? I bought it about 6 years ago for $450. Im sure some idiots will be in a bidding war to get it at this price too.
    Tech companies in the Bay Area have created a huge disparity between the elite and the normal. Homeless everywhere. Trash everywhere.
    Every major PGe issue gets passed onto the consumer...
    My utility bill last month was $20k. Just utility saving alone will be $120k a year moving out of this area.
    We only are running 2-3 machines a day for 6ish hours 6-7 days a week, 9 cents a kw makes our bill here 65 bucks the last month. I guess the dopers and nerds can keep things running there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

5 big machines automated that run 24/6 with 12 hours Sunday
    Rest of the shop machines run 20/5 across 2 shifts
    HVAC in the warehouse keeps the building between 66-74 at all times
    Compressors run 24/7

Shop in Roseville on Roseville power with double the building, double the hvac, double the machines, double the employees pays less than half we do...
    10 years ago all our work was here in the bay area... now we have one customer thats only about 10% of our business. Ive been wanting to leave this area for atleast 5 years but wife wasn't onboard until recently. Probably just tired of hearing me ask all the time LOL

3. Likes kustomizer, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roseville ain't cheap anymore either.

You did good, I wanted to move most of 30 years ago but only a couple of years ago would "stick in the mud" even think about looking and on the first trip through she fell in love. We went up the west side, visited with some long time friends near the top and about half way down the east side we both found a place we liked and better yet it was the same place. Did you find a place? What draws you to Nampa?

5. Likes dstryr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Roseville ain't cheap anymore either.

You did good, I wanted to move most of 30 years ago but only a couple of years ago would "stick in the mud" even think about looking and on the first trip through she fell in love. We went up the west side, visited with some long time friends near the top and about half way down the east side we both found a place we liked and better yet it was the same place. Did you find a place? What draws you to Nampa?
    I have a good friend who moved back to Emmett like 8 years ago. Recently he started working for me remotely and comes here on site every 4-5 weeks for a week. We spent time at McCall in February and did a weekend snowmobile trip to Warren and stayed the night at the cabins out there. It was such a blast that it sold me. All the activities that I have to drive 1-2 hours to do, wait in line to pay entrance, and drive 1-2 hours home are now within 15 minutes . Boating, dirtbiking, snowmobiles, etc.

Im still pretty young so glad my wife got on board now and not in another 20 years. The business part of it was just icing on the cake. The driving factor for me was finding a commercial area for the shop. Tons of nice areas all over the state and easy to find a good house coming from the bay area. Commercial is the tough part. Found a turnkey new construction building in Nampa ready to go.

7. Likes Ox, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That slunds hard to beat, it is cool that we can be at a ski resort in 20 mins, fishing in 58 steps and run all over on a quad starting from the front door, we can't wait to get started on the fun stuff as well. It is very hard to explain to someone that has not ben here, but there are those that need tall buildings, fast food and shopping close by and I am happy that stuff is a ways off, I can live in the vacation spot and drive to the shopping a couple of times a year.

9. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That slunds hard to beat, it is cool that we can be at a ski resort in 20 mins, fishing in 58 steps and run all over on a quad starting from the front door, we can't wait to get started on the fun stuff as well. It is very hard to explain to someone that has not ben here, but there are those that need tall buildings, fast food and shopping close by and I am happy that stuff is a ways off, I can live in the vacation spot and drive to the shopping a couple of times a year.
    Everybody is leaving California, hopefully they leave all the crazy politics behind, no sense in ruining your new home.

11. Likes kustomizer, VTM, Fal Grunt, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Everybody is leaving California, hopefully they leave all the crazy politics behind, no sense in ruining your new home.
    We came from Calaveras county, if you watch it after an election you will find they vote opposite of the rest of the state almost every time, makes you feel your vote has no value, here we vote with most of the state and that is kind of nice for a change.

13. Likes VTM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like to think of California as a red state with some big blue cities. See this map of voting results per county, I think this is a few years old...:

california voting map by county - Yahoo Image Search Results

15. Likes kustomizer, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You did good. Personally I'd rather be where you are than In the valley here. But my wife. Well she's one that needs all that STUFF close by you know.

17. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VTM View Post
    You did good. Personally I'd rather be where you are than In the valley here. But my wife. Well she's one that needs all that STUFF close by you know.
    We started in a rural part of California, 50 miles from a Costco, so we were used to Stuff being more complicated to get. We are about an hour farther from that stuff now but she is OK with that as am I

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like I said, you made a good decision IMHO. Where you're at Is beautiful country, Quiet, close to many recreational activities If your Into that. Better than the city any day!!

20. Likes kustomizer, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading these most recent posts in this thread gives me hope that I'll make it to da UP someday, and not just for a week

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    Reading these most recent posts in this thread gives me hope that I'll make it to da UP someday, and not just for a week
    But you'd still be in MI.........................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I unfortunately suffer the same stipulations. SUCKS

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be fair, California was pretty normal back when Edmund G "Pat" Brown was governator and Marin was mostly dairy and Sonoma was chickens and Gallo was our version of wine grower. It's all the snotnoses from elsewhere who fucked it up. You know Pelosi is not a Californian, right ? She came from fricking Baltimore, I think. Carpetpurser.

I don't mean interesting loonies like Emperor Norton, we always had those. I mean assholes like Smuckerberg and creeps like Vinod Khosla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife could care less...............in a way................She(and myself) like to be within 25+/- minutes of your standard shopping, groceries, hardware, clothing, etc.............having 4 kids kinda makes it almost a necessity. But she would love to live out in the middle of no man's land.................she told me either close to civilization or so far away you just make one trip into town every coupla weeks......................but runnin a job shop throws a wrench into the no man's land scenario.........................

26. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

17 machines, 2 cmm, all the support equipment
    My utility bill last month was $20k.
    Good GOD MAN!!! I have 1 CNC, air compressor, but if I am working hard I have 2 or 3 manual machines running with the CNC.

If I have a REALLY busy month, 12-14 hr days, 7 days a week, my bill will be quite large... sometimes they reach as high as $125. I am single phase as well, run through a phase converter.

If you have 17 times the equipment... I could see your bill being $2,125, but $20k!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    But you'd still be in MI.........................
    That's the whole point!

29. Likes BoxcarPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Californian's ruined Colorado. When I lived there in 2008-2010, I had planned to stay there. Seemed like every third person had "fled" california.

Just in the two years I lived there, there were massive changes. None of them good in my opinion.

31. Likes Yan Wo, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Good GOD MAN!!! I have 1 CNC, air compressor, but if I am working hard I have 2 or 3 manual machines running with the CNC.

If I have a REALLY busy month, 12-14 hr days, 7 days a week, my bill will be quite large... sometimes they reach as high as $125. I am single phase as well, run through a phase converter.

If you have 17 times the equipment... I could see your bill being $2,125, but $20k!!!
    You are residential though? He probably gets the privilege of paying industrial rates.