Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Freedom Flyboys! (...and girls)

2. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have "too much time" you can hunt up the sectional chart on the FAA website. Here - Kustomizer probably wants the Great Falls chart (it's a BIG .pdf)
    https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig..._products/vfr/

OK Bryan, so what? On this chart you will find MOA - military operation areas - mapped out. Large swaths of the US are covered by these areas - and they're practice areas with various special rules for how the military and GA interact in them.

I would guess you are under or near such an area.

4. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told they come from over around Spokane, something special, they have no markings, just flat black

6. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    I was told they come from over around Spokane, something special, they have no markings, just flat black
    Commercial contracts we have a duty to deliver on.

My war, McDonnell-Douglas was the world's largest distributor of loose MiG aircraft parts for recycling, for example.

Israel's air component then won the next big contract as used MiG parts distributor.

Scrap Aluminum has to come from SOMEWHERE, even if it has to be made to fall out of the sky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unrelated (mostly) comment for Thermite’s amusement. First time I went thru Luckla’s airport in Nepal in the early 1990’s there was aircraft bits strewn somewhat below and to side of glidepath in what people called the ‘one shot’ approach. A few years later all the locals had thick probably aircraft grade cast aluminum fry pans and no aircraft bits to be seen in valley...

Airplanes trying to land with the weather condition called cumulogranite isn’t good.

L7

9. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Unrelated (mostly) comment for Thermite’s amusement. First time I went thru Luckla’s airport in Nepal in the early 1990’s there was aircraft bits strewn somewhat below and to side of glidepath in what people called the ‘one shot’ approach. A few years later all the locals had thick probably aircraft grade cast aluminum fry pans and no aircraft bits to be seen in valley...

Airplanes trying to land with the weather condition called cumulogranite isn’t good.

L7
    Kai Tak was still active when first I went out to Hong Kong. Kinda weird the heavy stench of a billion gallons of overheated Wok Hei oil hits the cabin and seeing high rises either side ABOVE the aircraft as it comes down the bump-road!

I was fifteen-years out of "current" when a bud got clearance to make the low-altitude run up Hong Kong harbor, He had me right-seat fly the Cesspool so he could run vid camera.

"What did you just do?"

"Set both of the altimeters you had neglected at take-off to what the tower has been hinting at with one altimeter reading after another, after another, since you had us off assigned altitude! Now corrected."

ASEL and ASELS are wasted on the young whilst they are still overly focused on flying their own *meat* version!

Wudda thot left-seat time in the Antonov "Colt" on rental line wudda wised-him up, but talk about a "forgiving" aircraft? A Norduyn-Norseman it was not! The instructor pilot for that big-ass Ukrainian biplane was a mere slip of a former PLA Air arm gal cuddna weighed over 90 lbs, sweaty-wet and clinging to the "active"!

As to 'one shot?".. Check ride, new FBO, same aircraft. New base field.

Downwind, PA-28-150 tapered wing. Slip of a 20-something gal CFII says 'you are too far out and out of options. If the engine quit you could never make the field!"

"..Warrior 81612, simulated engine out emergency". And I chopped it.

She goes white scared when I don't even turn for the field, just continue the full, normal pattern!

I burn-off the excess with a wicked cross-controlled forward slip on short as would drop a Cesspool right TF out of the sky... take a long landing just to prove it still had reserve.

She comes out of shock.

"Kid? I have more left seat in this very aircraft by over a hundred hours than you have in anything at all with a low wing!"

"What was my downwind speed for this airport when you panicked?". "70 knots" she sez.

"Lady? textbook is just paper. You HAD a full-panel right in front of you displaying 100 knots!

"Sitting under IAD's wedding-cake as Leesburg does, we have a lower pattern altitude than usual. I knew that. You should have!"

So how did she get a CFII ticket? Well . .come to find out .. bearing a sweet, cute, healthy kid out of wedlock for the head flight instructor hadn't harmed her desirability one damned bit.. until he discovered she was about as wise as the average out-of-order parking meter about men and "God will provide".

Put a few bucks in the meter for the kid's sake. Parked my vehicle some other place, concentrated on "first, fly the aircraft" instead!