Kustomizer's Shop - Page 68
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 68 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1563
  1. #1341
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    We may have a roof and walls next week
    img_6161.jpgimg_6162.jpgimg_6163.jpgimg_6164.jpg

  2. Likes Garwood, RF, CBlair, DrHook liked this post
  3. #1342
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    The antifreeze all ran out of the little Clark Friday, I couldn't see where it got out or a way to put more in so it got shelved for the winter, it don't work in the snow anyhow. We had to bring the big one inside, its one size too big but its working.
    img_3474-1-.jpgimg_3475.jpgimg_3476.jpgimg_3473.jpgimg_3471.jpg

  4. #1343
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    28,046
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8393
    Likes (Received)
    10014

    Default

    Oh wow!

    So that truck is 4wd eh?

    I take it that it is a hydraulic rear axle - like a combine?
    Not gear driven?


    You don't need coolant for short cycles.
    I ran one for a yr w/o coolant. (like most every day!)
    But don't take it outside for long in the winter w/o coolant.
    The evap will freeze up!


    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  5. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
  6. #1344
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Oh wow!

    So that truck is 4wd eh?

    I take it that it is a hydraulic rear axle - like a combine?
    Not gear driven?


    You don't need coolant for short cycles.
    I ran one for a yr w/o coolant. (like most every day!)
    But don't take it outside for long in the winter w/o coolant.
    The evap will freeze up!


    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yep, go anywhere mo fo. It is a Perkins diesel with an electric shifter, hydraulic clutch/ shuttle or some such followed by a 4 speed trans like in a pickup with a transfer case allowing 2wd/4wd, no compound low. Gear drive to the rear/steering axle. It has a foot button on the floor like a backhoe that locks the front/big wheels together, if you somehow get it stuck you press that button with your toe and away you go again. Before we moved I had it places my Jeep wouldn't go, steep hill/big rocks, it doesn't care it
    just goes. It will run down the highway about 40 before it gets to bouncing too much.

    They are just done forking around inside, If it was me I may be willing to run the Clark without water in short bursts like you say but it is real cold blooded and if it don't run quite a while it behaves poorly even with the block heater so without water I was thinking it would be unsafe. I'll fix it next summer, it is useless in the snow and mud and we have some of each.

  7. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
  8. #1345
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    28,046
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8393
    Likes (Received)
    10014

    Default

    I was thinking that the dry sump motor was an indoors unit.
    At least after the new walls anyhow ...


    Differential Lock no less!



    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  9. #1346
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    When we are done we will have most of 7000sf of machine shop, packaging and inventory crowded into 3100. I brought twice the machinery we need as 3 of the VMC's were set up new in 2005 and are still making the same parts, I could rotate other jobs through them but then I loose a lot of time in setups. If a lift has to come in the shop we can move carts and such and get it in but mostly they stay out. Our parts are small, material is small so we don't really need a lift inside. I will likely fix the little Clark and sell it, I plan to fix the backhoe to take forks so I will still have one when the big one breaks

  10. #1347
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    28,046
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8393
    Likes (Received)
    10014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Yep, go anywhere mo fo. It is a Perkins diesel with an electric shifter, hydraulic clutch/ shuttle or some such followed by a 4 speed trans like in a pickup with a transfer case allowing 2wd/4wd, no compound low. Gear drive to the rear/steering axle. It has a foot button on the floor like a backhoe that locks the front/big wheels together, if you somehow get it stuck you press that button with your toe and away you go again. Before we moved I had it places my Jeep wouldn't go, steep hill/big rocks, it doesn't care it
    just goes. It will run down the highway about 40 before it gets to bouncing too much.

    They are just done forking around inside, If it was me I may be willing to run the Clark without water in short bursts like you say but it is real cold blooded and if it don't run quite a while it behaves poorly even with the block heater so without water I was thinking it would be unsafe. I'll fix it next summer, it is useless in the snow and mud and we have some of each
    .
    Yunno, I don't care what your wife was saying about you the other day - YOU'RE THE MAN!



    ---------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  11. #1348
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    She says a lot of good things about me, she has to make them up so she doesn't get depressed about lazy bum she got herself hitched to

  12. #1349
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    911
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    What's that horizontal bridging in the wall at about the 8 foot mark for?

  13. #1350
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1949
    Likes (Received)
    6381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    She says a lot of good things about me, she has to make them up so she doesn't get depressed about lazy bum she got herself hitched to
    She prolly sees you as a "work in progress".....................she'll get you whipped into shape some day.....................

  14. Likes kustomizer, wheelieking71 liked this post
  15. #1351
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1949
    Likes (Received)
    6381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
    What's that horizontal bridging in the wall at about the 8 foot mark for?
    Was wonderin' that meself............it'll need horizontal purlins if'n they're put on matching vert tin, but that nailer ain't for that..............dunno?

  16. #1352
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    911
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Was wonderin' that meself............it'll need horizontal purlins if'n they're put on matching vert tin, but that nailer ain't for that..............dunno?
    Glad I asked then! I was afraid it was obvious to everyone else...

  17. #1353
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    It is getting sheeted with OSB, then Tyvek then metal on the outside. When we put the metal on the inside we will screw to them.

    I think I understand blocking is required on walls over 8 feet

  18. #1354
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    She prolly sees you as a "work in progress".....................she'll get you whipped into shape some day.....................
    Do you suppose she has noticed the improvement over the last 35 years has gone from mostly level to a downhill slide?

    I think she takes care of me because I keep the credit cards working, but don't tell her I've caught on.

  19. Likes wheelieking71, DrHook liked this post
  20. #1355
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Do you suppose she has noticed the improvement over the last 35 years has gone from mostly level to a downhill slide?

    I think she takes care of me because I keep the credit cards working, but don't tell her I've caught on.
    Seeing as mine is smarter than me, I just assume she knows something good about me that I don’t which makes it worth it.

  21. Likes Ox, kustomizer, Garwood liked this post
  22. #1356
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    We got some roof and walls today, it was too dark to pic the walls but here is some roof
    img_3477.jpgimg_3481.jpgimg_3482.jpgimg_3483.jpgimg_3485.jpg

  23. Likes Yan Wo, DrHook liked this post
  24. #1357
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    911
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    I'm sure its posted earlier or in your move thread, but do you have 3 phase out there in the boonies or are you running phase converters?

  25. #1358
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    28,046
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8393
    Likes (Received)
    10014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    It is getting sheeted with OSB, then Tyvek then metal on the outside. When we put the metal on the inside we will screw to them.

    I think I understand blocking is required on walls over 8 feet

    I bet that's a fire code thing - so that fire can't just run up the walls to the attic or second floors.

    How are those in there?
    I can't quite tell if the stud runs through, or the break runs through?

    Must be a LOT of toe-nailing eh?

    --------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  26. #1359
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    23,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    13154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I bet that's a fire code thing - so that fire can't just run up the walls to the attic or second floors.
    Aye. Has been for ages, pretty much all jurisdictions. Closed top header required as well.

    Even when stuffed with mineral wool or glass fiber, and even for but ONE story.

    Works well, too.

    Cut the spacing in half AKA double-up on the "fire block" crossmembers?

    No "draft" gets to start.

    Even a hot fire in an electrical outlet basically self-extinguishes off trapped combustion by-products well before the heat can rise to combustion temps for adjacent materials.

    Pick yer supplemental spacing wisely, the extra horizontals make securing wainscoting, grab rails, power ducts, cabinets, all sorts of other wall-attached stuff sturdier and easier for the rest of the structure's existence, too.

    Faggabuncha "drywall anchors". I'll have strong screws, thanks!


  27. Likes kustomizer liked this post
  28. #1360
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    2082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
    I'm sure its posted earlier or in your move thread, but do you have 3 phase out there in the boonies or are you running phase converters?
    We have 208v three phase, 200 amps. 120v to ground on any wire and 213 between any pair, we had to bring it in from the highway where the meter is with some bigish copper wire underground

  29. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •