Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Ohh I get it. Your diggs are looking 100 times better than mine! That is for sure. I was ripping on myself if anything.
    Oh, I get it, I would be fine with OSB though my office in the old place I put vertical strips of 12" copper foil over the OSB.
    Not this time she said and I am OK with that too.

Today 2 small rooms got metal ceilings and the rest of the day they spent sorting the material into stacks by lengths

2. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    .... year ago in kWH but an increase in severely inflated dollars:

2021: 6038 kWH $346.98

2022: 5073 kWH $486.08

Per month? Holy moly, Bill! We know you're not growing weed indoors, but where's all that juice goin'?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Per month? Holy moly, Bill! We know you're not growing weed indoors, but where's all that juice goin'?
    Heat

Bla bla 10 letters

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What he said. Heat. Not a LOT of it, either.
    But with fresh air. Plenty of THAT.

Same as taking out the trash or flushing the toilet.
    Health vs money thing.

Not enough money? Create more. BFD. Not talking the price of a yacht or personal aircraft, here.

Nor "year-round", either. Around a hundred bucks, least months, not a lot more for air-con months.

See graph at page end..

"On The Other Hand.."

Ruin yer health in a closed-up box of accumulating biological nasties and chemicals?

Cannot buy good health back .... at ANY price!

Any of you lot get colds, flu, pneumonia, SARS, COVID, strep or staph sinus, tonsils, or inner ear infections?

I USED TO DO. Long time ago. And then.....

"None of the above".... since adopting ancient China's year-round residential ventilation practices.

My cassus belli?

The SARS epidemic in Hong Kong--a human calamity in the 21st century - PubMed

The family of Shi Huang Di didn't GET sick, that go.

Nor have they contracted COVID, latest go, either.
    That they know of, anyway.

Not even ONE in 20-plus immediate family.. save the UK resident Fiancee of my youngest Niece.. and WHILE he was in the UK, all jabbed and vaxed.

Of course.

Works for me, too, nearly 20 years and counting. Nearly as good over 20 years before. Had the lowest or second lowest sick leave at two former job, then again second-lowest in all of Cable & Wireless, North America ... close back of a shoe-leather-tough old British "F1" Director.
    But John's figure was for two years. My extra day was for TEN years!

Not new. Our lot have always lived longer than the averages for their era ....unless kilt in combat. Or hanged. One each, long time ago, already.

Oh.. and serious losses to the Plague. But as children. My line are the ones who did NOT die of the Plague, each of several rounds, y'see.

Slooo.. It is largely "in the Levi's" as an Irish mate of mine put it.

"Jeans", he meant.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vepco-year.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, yer tough, we get that. We have years of experience. Lotsa air exchange, good idea, but there are ways other than keeping the front door wide open .

Must be straight electric resistance heat? Use less than half the juice with a heat pump and get central air to boot. Heat/air exchangers would even the air exchange out, too. Filter it if you like.

I'm sure you've no trouble paying your bill Bill, but probly you're not in favor of welfare for the utility. They have a monopoly already, ya know.

They coulda been Virginia Dominion, but probly a wise PR move to call themselves VEPCO instead.

7. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must be straight electric resistance heat? Cut it in less than half with a heat pump and get central air to boot. They have heat exchangers, too....
    Radiant is better for health, easier to compartmentalize to a finer degree, as well as having lower-life-cycle costs.

I have had, and had it WITH, the others, thanks.

About the only heat source I have NOT had.. yet.. is burning dried animal dung.

Our government seems to "have a plan", so "we'll see" how that works out in Northern Virginia.

No further.. given they do not seem to have the means to reliably transport s**t, nor even a falsified smile, across aisles as narrow as the halls of Congress, let alone a supermarket, de-congested off the back of empty shelving units.

Meanwhile, investing in fossil fuels precisely because they goaled to damage them, has already paid forward many years worth of electricity.

When a political ad-menstruation is SOOOO f**ked-up as to put the barrel of a 12-bore in their own mouth, start to pull the trigger, and you interfere to suggest it is a "really bad idea?"

You KNOW your nation is in for a world-class butt-f**king when the arrogant looter-lie-bore-all shouts back atcha:

"Shut TF UP, invaxed racist Trumpite!"

"It's a f**king side by side DOUBLE TWELVE.. "

".. and I'm going to NAIL your insurrectionist ass...

... with the SECOND barrel!"

Worse news?

You can only WISH that was merely a bad joke!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn, you're fast. Up early, too. What's with that?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn, you're fast. Up early, too. What's with that?
    Runs in the family, lo these many generations, already. Could be a part of why it has always been - as Cousin George put it - ".. the OTHER poor dumb, bastard that dies for HIS country"?

Fully ambidextrous placental mammals don't NEED sleep in the same sense as right or left handers need it. Google "Dolphin Sleep".

We did not KNOW the "why" of it when NORAD tried to find the point some among us reached a sleep-deprivation failure point.

And could not.

Ran out of assets at ... a lot longer than expected.

One shift, no backup Army Green with our 20 KT Nike missiles had TOLD three shift USAF fighter directors that one crew would be all out of ordnance, time to live, probably both before they had the TIME to get "sleepy".

Computers shed Vacuum tubes, got lighter, we were no longer nailed-down to a known-location "Blockhouse". So that's no longer a "do well AND die anyway" type of job.

Cheyenne Mountain? Meet pee-bringer F35.

She's got MANY orders of magnitude greater, faster, further ranging command of lethal networks. FASTER and harder to LOCATE and nail than AWACS, too! Plus agile, more stealthy, yet F22 to cover her lard ass.

And tradition. Oy! The tradition! 'nam era.. or Israel:

"McDonnell-Douglas. World's largest distributor of used MiG parts."

Can't say as I miss the honour of working where your massive reinforced concrete armour is really your TOMB!

That said, I take a nap whenever it suits me.
    Gets the feet and legs up level for a spell.

11. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have walls for the tumbler room, bathroom and enough of the wall of the inventory/packaging room that I was able to call the plumber back in so we can have running water and a bathroom first of the week. I get office walls tomorrow and likely most of hers.
    img_4035.jpgimg_4036.jpgimg_4037.jpgimg_4038.jpgimg_4039.jpg

13. Likes DrHook, Garwood, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We have walls..

img_4037.jpgimg_4038.jpgimg_4039.jpg
    The installer certainly seems proud of the work.

Ladder? Or Doggie stilts?

15. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She is a ham, you get out a camera, she runs in front of it but like other supervisors she wants credit for all completed work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She is a ham, you get out a camera, she runs in front of it but like other supervisors she wants credit for all completed work.
    You got an exceptionally honest one, then.

Bane of the existence of a Facilities Manager are the ones that want paid for the work NOT completed... that wont EVER be... if they don't get firmly called-out on it, right up front as-in "BEFORE authorizing payment".

18. Likes kustomizer, bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She is a good friend, Hey, I got an office yesterday, pretty cool. My desk is 1/3 the way back in a snowbound overseas container under a pile of shelving but I got an office! A small room to stash my programming computer and measuring tools mostly. Right now my drawers with gauge pins in them are atop a 5 foot tall cabinet requiring even me to get a step ladder to see them. Progress can be exciting.

20. Likes DrHook, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She is a good friend, Hey, I got an office yesterday, pretty cool. My desk is 1/3 the way back in a snowbound overseas container under a pile of shelving but I got an office! A small room to stash my programming computer and measuring tools mostly. Right now my drawers with gauge pins in them are atop a 5 foot tall cabinet requiring even me to get a step ladder to see them. Progress can be exciting.
    My attic.. with stuff not unpacked after four to ten moves back.. can be like finding time capsules in tore-down statues.

Lesson in that?

PS: Gave up ever-body-else's idea of a "desk" 19....74.

Put a "kneehole credenza" agin' the wall, computer terminal, then, laptops NOW,
    "puter stuff, inspection microscope, precision scales, "clack-you-later" AKA "ten-key" all had left & right workspace.

Outgrew store-bought credenza, made my own longer/wider ones, sat 'em across a pair of steel 2-drawer file cabinets

Put a round table where the desk wudda sat. Easier to gather 'round or GET AROUND it.. fast.. work from ANY side of it.

Spin in the chair, switch modes with no disturbance to workflow, met with visitors or staff at the round table or worked "the project of the moment" on it.

That cut-out a TON of shuffling and re-shuffling "stuff", every office SINCE, 48 years and counting..

Wuddn' yah know it? Shedding that "prestige" 'conference-top' desk.. instead of pompously arse-ing-up BEHIND it.. .worked ever-so-much better with TEAM BUILDING, too!

Man Behind The Armor-Plated Desk - YouTube

Management by wandering around - Wikipedia

My most-effective "command desk" had been seriously "mobile", after all.

1500 Corcoran Paratrooper Military Original Jump Boots

But the special-order taller ones...

Combat-Hairy-Ears have to work in FAR deeper s**t than paratroopers do..

22. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is an old military surplus desk Wonder Woman took to the powder coater and had them "tie dye" it, and a colorful thing it is. I use it for my computer, paper, plastic folders etc, it works well for 30 some years now. I will likely end up with a standing desk as well, more workbench looking than desk I recon, 11 feet long, perhaps a couple bar stools to go with it, I would like to find another lista or two with the wide shallow drawers almost like a map cabinet with good slides, They sure are proud of those.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is an old military surplus desk Wonder Woman took to the powder coater and had them "tie dye" it, and a colorful thing it is. I use it for my computer, paper, plastic folders etc, it works well for 30 some years now. I will likely end up with a standing desk as well, more workbench looking than desk I recon, 11 feet long, perhaps a couple bar stools to go with it, I would like to find another lista or two with the wide shallow drawers almost like a map cabinet with good slides, They sure are proud of those.
    Sounds like the legendary GLOBE WERNICKE. They won't actually stop a bullet, BTW. Not armour-piercing, anyway. But can still be repaired if machine-gunned.

I had mine custom made. Office furniture maker on Lockhart Road, Wanchai.

Four of them in "legal' width but only 18" deep face to wall. Only about ten bucks more and 3 days vs "stock"sizes. $89 each and in 16 gauge, high grade roller-bearing slides. For a file cabinet.

Mate of mine running "CTM" - Macau's phone company.. had LOVELY 42U rack cabinets made over in Zuhai for $90 each.

Time was we could send specs to Zuhai or Shenzen, have powder-coat, shiney-wood, or heavy gage stainless built to order cheaper than in-the-catalog goods.

"Proud"?

You think the Chinese are always blank-faced, deadpan?

Ask a Chinese to do world-class work in HEAVY gage for a change and be willing to PAY for it? Tell him you aren't sure if he can do as good as German or Swiss goods, but you will trust him to TRY..

Weary of low-priced-whoring face lights up like Julia Roberts yawning!

They do make autos, trucks, electric buses, diesel and jet engines, army tanks, submarines, aircraft, spacecraft, warships, rockets, nuke reactors, hydrogen bombs, and container ships, after all.. To their own designs, not JUST purloined.

Not just Walmart's malnourished-seagull birdshit-grade.

Last edited by thermite; 01-29-2022 at 03:25 PM.

25. Likes kustomizer, Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen and even own a few things from China that are just that, Quality, but it wasn't brought here by a bib box store selling cheap for the sake of cheap. I will likely be doing with what we brought as there is plenty of it to unpack yet and put to use and we will see just how well we planned. Our 1" to 1' paper model has done us OK so far

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will likely be doing with what we brought as there is plenty of it to unpack yet and put to use and we will see just how well we planned. Our 1" to 1' paper model has done us OK so far
    LOL!

We must have "gone to different schools, together".

I had a knock-down-drag out fight with my next higher, the CFO and his, next - our founder & Chairman ...when they tasked me with moving the entire first floor to newly-added third floor so they could gut and remodel first floor. Then move them BACK.

"25 years, we ALWAYS do our own moves with warehouse staff! We are not approving use of a contractor!"

"THIS time you are."

Cited past history as to why Army methods could do the move over the weekend, no lost time AT ALL.

I prevailed.

Baltimore's E.I Kane' "Office Movers" hit 6 PM Friday, no lifts, six flights of stairs.

"Six P Method" was applied.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Drawings. Colour-coded. Floor's taped to not even one inch of error in the drop-and-place plan.

Seven hours later, 1 AM, job was DONE.

The four heavy safes went up laid on the back of an electric rubber-cleated tracked vehicle called a "stair crawler".

They had moved 780 FULL file cabinets, and over 200 desks Plus-plus up those six flights on reefer dollies ...by the muscle of 35 or so hard-core TEAM TRAINED off-duty GI's. Body builders and "hard men".. from units all over Military District of Washington.

Military pay SUCKED, "back in the day" and metro Dee Cee was not a cheap place to be. E.I Kane paid them more for that time than the Government was paying them for a whole week if not month!

No damage. No injuries, either.

Could have but arranged for somebody to SHOOT at us?

Cudda done it in two hours!

Last edited by thermite; 01-29-2022 at 03:48 PM.

28. Likes Yan Wo, kustomizer, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Propper prior planning predominantly prevents piss poor performance, the way I heard it anyhow.
    The neighbor called this morning, he had our cabinet done so we went up and fetched it back, gave it a coat of stain and a few hours later a coat of polyurethane, few more coats tomorrow and we can put it in the tumbler room to house the double wall ovens.
    img_4041-1-.jpg

30. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My office is almost furnished, I went and got the Psyco desk out of the overseas container, we had pushed a bit hard on it and broke 2 of the legs when we jammed it in so I had to remove, straighten and re weld them before I could put it in. Plumbers are tomorrow to hook up water, install a sink and toilet as well as an exit pipe for the fart fan. Micrometers and gauge pins even get a home in cabinets rather than piled around the shop with rags to cover them. It may be we don't have to work in a dirty clusterfuck soon. Wonder Woman's office got closed in today so I recon they will be working on the inventory room and attic starting in the morning.
    img_4047.jpgimg_4046.jpgimg_4048.jpgimg_4045.jpgimg_4044.jpg

32. Likes DrHook, wheelieking71 liked this post