What's new
What's new

LathenMill's Machinist Journal

lathe&mill

Plastic
Wanted to start keeping a log of progress as a new "Machinist" and hopefully the road to owning my own shop.

Started machining 2 years ago at a dream job shop in SoCal. Our bread and butter is the Atomic Force Microscope industry but being a job shop, I have a ton of cool stuff to post.

Last edited:
Running some 303 thats giving me hell with a precision bore. Also running around trying to organize without passing off the bossman lol.
aa7e27dcd6482bfef48ae91508349e52.jpg
7c7ad9e2b45b0bb305c07c3c94d5ecdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Update on the 303 parts. Got the bore dia. settled in and finally found the right insert and feedsnspeeds for a good finish. This batch of 303 seems to run different as I get through more material. Any explanations why?
185fbdb323f641a369fedf98155bf0fb.jpg

Update on the 303 parts. Got the bore dia. settled in and finally found the right insert and feedsnspeeds for a good finish. This batch of 303 seems to run different as I get through more material. Any explanations why?

Hard to believe you are having trouble with 303, that stuff is dead easy to turn.

Hard to believe you are having trouble with 303, that stuff is dead easy to turn.

Also "famous" for unexpected supply variations.

Not that it should much make a damn, straighforward part like the one shown.

Take note. Adjust.

Expect to do the same, NEXT incoming "batch".

It is wotever it is, American-disease ("we are cheaper than.....") world..

Wanted to start keeping a log of progress as a new "Machinist" and hopefully the road to owning my own shop.

Started machining 2 years ago at a dream job shop in SoCal. Our bread and butter is the Atomic Force Microscope industry but being a job shop, I have a ton of cool stuff to post.

Some of my favorite parts to date...
View attachment 307725
View attachment 307727
View attachment 307729
View attachment 307731
I didn't program this one but its one of the more intricate parts we run.

Much as we like to see what "the other guy" is up to, as a "new machinist" you need to be cautious about the fotos.

Even shops fully one-man owned have restrictions placed upon them by CUSTOMERS - legally codified in PO, BPA, or tasking-bespoke contract, even simply "implied" - that they not disclose what they are making, for whom, in what qty, at what price, what it measures, from what alloy and heat, by what machine and method, or even how it LOOKS.

IOW "POSSIBLE trade secrets" even if the goods are actually as common as a fender-washer for retention of salty moistened dirt to accelerate rusting of a pickup truck ..so a new one can be sold sooner.

Normally I can adjust for a nice finish after one or two parts. This part can't run past 1200 rpm b/c Im too nervous to run any faster. I'll post a picture showing the setup tomorrow. Hopefully you'll tell me Im being a wimp and can run faster but I'd rather not test my luck without advice first.

303 can be a PITA if your setup is whacked. Such as trying to part with the blade .02" low......etc.

For your part, I'd say your last pass is too light with possibly too much feed. It appears to be rubbing instead of forming a chip across the chipbreaker. When you do get it dialed in, it cuts beautifully!

Can you post some numbers along with insert nomenclature?

303 can be a PITA if your setup is whacked. Such as trying to part with the blade .02" low......etc.

For your part, I'd say your last pass is too light with possibly too much feed. It appears to be rubbing instead of forming a chip across the chipbreaker. When you do get it dialed in, it cuts beautifully!

Can you post some numbers along with insert nomenclature?
My roughing numbers are ... max rpm s1200
Sfm 200 feed .007
I left .02 for finish pass which I think helped alot as you said.

Finishing sfm 600 feed .0025

Running a 5/8" komet drill at 250 rpm and 0025 feed (seems slow but I'm using aluminum jaws that I don't feel super comfortable pushing)

Rough id max rpm 700 sfm 400 feed .005
Finish is the same but .004 feed

This is an old program when I first started programming but I don't have the time to redo it so I can only adjust feeds speeds at this point.
39fd1a0fa94daf8a79209e7d75569f4a.jpg
351a214628bf12d1ccd757544bd5efd9.jpg

Well start by tripppling your feedrates on your outside turning toys.

And your inside finishing passes should be close to that as well.
(but not the actual drilling pass)

Like .015 rough and .01 min for finish. (.03R tool)

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well start by tripppling your feedrates on your outside turning toys.

And your inside finishing passes should be close to that as well.
(but not the actual drilling pass)

Like .015 rough and .01 min for finish. (.03R tool)

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Much better chip management upping the feed. Thanks! Clearly I'm very green but thats why I'm here. All ears

Been wanting to clean up the round bar storage area.

Heres a "before" picture. Possibly an "after" picture by the end of the day.
2a47ad9a5007890b10eba2ffb4d81604.jpg

Ditch the frikkin' plastic shelving "real soon". Already gone swaybacked!

Then it cracks and you have a muckinfess, if not also injuries and damaged goods. DAMHIKT!!!

Even wire "bread racks" are better. Proper "industrial" steel AND NOT, repeat NOT!.. Big Box Harriet homeowner El Cheapo flower-pot and kid's toys goods are far better-yet!

Add more shelves, some of them closer spaced, and you will be better able to segregate small stock one-layer-deep so you can FIND it and get it in or out with less hassle. Reduces load per-shelf, too.

Put a kerb strip on front and rear edge of shelves holding round goods. It rolls.

More to a smooth operation than just the machine-tools.

Ditch the frikkin' plastic shelving "real soon". Already gone swaybacked!

Then it cracks and you have a muckinfess, if not also injuries and damaged goods. DAMHIKT!!!

Even wire "bread racks" are better. Proper "industrial" steel AND NOT, repeat NOT!.. Big Box Harriet homeowner El Cheapo flower-pot and kid's toys goods are far better-yet!

Add more shelves, some of them closer spaced, and you will be better able to segregate small stock one-layer-deep so you can FIND it and get it in or out with less hassle. Reduces load per-shelf, too.

Put a kerb strip on front and rear edge of shelves holding round goods. It rolls.

More to a smooth operation than just the machine-tools.
I hate the plastic!!!

I hate the plastic!!!

"Hate" is one of humankind's most USELESS wasters of time and nutrition, ever.

Don't waste the time on "hate".

Just replace the damned things, send them away, forgeddaboudumb, and enjoy the genuine productivity benefit of a wiser choice of shelving.

Most plastics are recyclable. You really in California? If "hate" is your thing, It's prolly OK out there to get your rocks off on "social media" visualizing them screaming in agony as they melt-down to their doom - reincarnate as "matching Asian luggage" AKA plastic grocery bags with the same store logo!

:D

"Hate" is one of humankind's most USELESS wasters of time and nutrition, ever.

Don't waste the time on "hate".

Just replace the damned things, send them away, forgeddaboudumb, and enjoy the genuine productivity benefit of a wiser choice of shelving.

Most plastics are recyclable. You really in California? If "hate" is your thing, It's prolly OK out there to get your rocks off on "social media" visualizing them screaming in agony as they melt-down to their doom - reincarnate as "matching Asian luggage" AKA plastic grocery bags with the same store logo!

:D
Bringing me back to my shrink sessions lol.
Its funny you say "don't waste time on hate" I find myself thinking about things and why I don't like them but fail to take action until it boils over and I can't look at it anymore. I need to stop over analyzing. Paralysis by analysis I guess.

Back