What's new
What's new

Logan 11" Lathe Purchase & Paint

RyanPitch

Plastic
So I was in the market for a 10" lathe and I find this Logan 11" lathe that's about a 30 minute drive down a dirt road from nowhere. I can't identify the lathe because its QC gearbox says "1915" and it's got a 55" bedway. It has V-belts but its bedway says Serial Number 665:
SerialNumber665.jpg

Maybe Scott can comment on that and tell me where the heck this thing is from.

It also came with a turret and a regular tailstock. Gosh how I wish it had a steel cabinet, but oh well, you can't have everything.

I'm there with a minivan and I'm like, "How am I going to load this thing? I need to disassemble it." And the seller is immediately like, "No way! I can load that thing for you in a heartbeat."

So he lifts two legs into the bucket of a John Deere and uses this thing that he calls a "come-along" to cinch it down to the front:
001_In-Tractor.jpg

002_In-Tractor.jpg

I'm like, "I can't believe this guy is going to drive down the road with this thing cantilevered off the tractor like that."

He gets it outside:
004_Outside.jpg

and brings over ANOTHER John Deere to lift the lathe. This one had a ball hitch attached to the front of the bucket:

005_LiftedWithTractor.jpg

So he drives that tractor down the road:
007_DrivingWithLifted.jpg

And he puts the thing in my minivan.

Not able to let well enough alone, I decide to strip and paint it. I can't stand the sea foam green color.

My painting endeavor - next post to come.

Stripping the lathe

I've used Aircraft Remover in the past and it seemed really bad on my lungs, so I opted for Citristrip from Home Depot. My house, being near the ocean, has an outside door on the lower level that leads to a "shower room," good for taking off your wetsuit after a surf. I turned the shower room into a paint booth.

PaintRoomLightHung.jpg

The Citristrip works ok and makes the existing paint bubble like this:
ChipTrayPaintPeel.jpg

The green paint came off really easily with 1 or 2 coats of Citristrip, however the gray primer underneath was a different story. That stuff turned to putty-like booger goo and gummed up my brass wire brush. It's difficult to get off (see below):
LegsWithCitristrip.jpg

After stripping some pieces, I taped plastic on the walls and went back to Home Depot for some all-thread pieces and a 360 degree swivel hanger thing. I created this item here to suspend my chip tray so that I could paint all sides of it without touching it.
HangingMechanism.jpg

After sanding, I put a diluted phosphoric acid "Prep & Etch" solution on the bare metal to eat away any remaining rusting/pitting. After that, I used a de-waxer de-greaser to clean the piece. Then I hit it with a self-etching spray can primer:
PrimerCan.jpg

After that, I mixed the Dupont Imron paint (color Bekins Gray) with hardener and used an HVLP gun to paint the chip tray:
HangingChipTrayWithPaint.jpg

Unfortunately, I put too much paint through the gun and on such a hot day got a lot of runs. Right now I'd say my paint job looks like crap, but I plan to fix that up in a day or two:
PaintedChipTrayClose.jpg

This picture actually makes it look more purple than it is. It's more of a normal blue-gray. More to come...

That does'nt look like it was anywhere near Hermosa.
I'm still wonderin how he loaded that hangin from the bucket into a minivan, and then how you unloaded it .
How much does it weigh ? Hard to tell how big it is from the pics.

The Logan is a pretty light lathe probably in the range of 1000 lbs.
My 11" works well but gets a little skittish on real heavy cuts.
I also did a teardown and repaint.

Attachments

• DSCF0121a.jpg
    DSCF0121a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,986
Love those Logans. Have had three over the years. Just gave two away to make room for new equipment.

Man....I hate to see any machine spindle being used as a lift point.

Athack

As I looked through the picture series, I had this morbid sense of upcoming disaster. Every successive picture with a tractor involved just kept getting worse.... Glad you got the lathe home, but like athack commented, using the spindle as a lifting point is not best practice. Keep us posted on progress --

Oh, that's just a metal wire going *near* the spindle and down underneath the bed. Yeah, using a spindle like that would've been bad. I assume it would've broken had someone lifted it that way...

I don't know that you could hurt the spindle. They are rated for way more pressure than the weight of a lathe. I have lifted several that way, but it's certainly not my first choice.

Back