What's new
What's new

My 20 x 20 Garage Shop so far

Monster Gravy

Aluminum
Here are a few pics of my 20 x 20 Shop. I use it for a part time Business and hobies.

Two Kennedy Work stations and one roll-away are all bolted together, back to back so I have drawers on each side. Hoyt drill/endmill indexes work great stacked verticaly and banded on each side.
000_0007.jpg

I had an amish guy down the road make this 1 1/2 thick maple top. Also I made the R-8 collet rack on the Haas at work(special gument job)
000_0006.jpg

My phase converter and air compresor are to the right of the mill. The carpet on the walls is for the tacky 70s Van effect. Actually its to reduce the sound. My next step is to hang a blue plastic strip door in front of them.
000_0015.jpg

Here are a few parts.
Ever wonder why people have so many impresive parts on display? Most of them(including mine)are usually scrap. Huuum!
parts1.jpg

At least somebody likes my chips in the garage!

000_0002.jpg

000_0014.jpg

I am really getting a feeling of tool envy and inadequacy looking at all these great shops and tools. My shop and tools look like a shop in Afganistan compared to all you guys!

Is that a custom shower drain in the scrap
pile? brilliant, why didn't I think of that?
I built 2 custom tile showers in my last house
and finished off 80 hours worth of work with
a crappy store bought drain. I like the shop,
but a question for all. Why have a drill press,
when you have a mill and a lathe? I don't
even have one inspite of 7 mills and 3 lathes.
I view them as an accident waiting for a place
to happen. What can they do that other equipment
can't?

Dualkit,
Funny you should mention the Shower drain looking thing. It is actually a laser target that I scraped out while I worked at ABB. To this day it still upsets me when I think about it. I had worked there a few weeks and was given that job. I had it almost done and was finishing it up by deburring the holes. All the while an old guy across the Isle was watching me. He then came over and said with an arrogant tone “you just scraped that part”. “what do you mean” I said. “look at the print real close”. I looked at the print and it called out a sharp corner on the holes. The fact that he watched me make the mistake and said nothing prior still burns me up. It’s the same mentality that causes 30,000 jobs to disappear over night.

As for the drill press, I would have to agree with you. I’ve probable used it 10hrs. max this year. It should be the first thing to go as my machines push me out the door.

tubalcain,that is one cool shop. neat and organized. i think a drill press has a place in every shop. what else are ya gonna let your buddies use to drill that hunka metal :rolleyes: (your nice mill maybee? :rolleyes: how well do you value no holes/marks in your mill table? :rolleyes: ) </font>
  • how much for the dog? :D</font>

In the toolroom where I work, we have a Clausing drill press. It has a big flat table, variable speed head, and foot operated forward and reverse spindle controls on the floor. We use it for rigid tapping, reaming, countersinking and transfering holes, etc. I used to think drill presses were lame, but this one comes in handy all the time for secondary ops, especially with the foot controls.

Nice shop btw. You did an excellent job of fitting it all in such a small space, and still keeping everything useful.

Nice shop.

Drill press ? I use my 20" press all the time. It's faster than the mill, more accessible, and for non-precision work it is the way to go.

Also, not that we don't all cheat, but do you know the typical B'port is only rated for a 5/8" drill bit?

Thanks Alistair,
Actually there have been a few changes.
The Lathe was for sale, thus the pallet.
It, The SKB and Pete The Dog are gone and new Haas Mini Mill moved in.

Here are a few updated pics.

CopyofMill8.jpg
CopyofMill7.jpg
CopyofMill6.jpg
CopyofMill5.jpg

That is one cool tool !! Congrat!!I would love to have one in my garage. How do you like going from manual to CNC. The video clips on Haas web page are pretty awesome. Nice shop :cool:
Khanh

That mill is so cute! The control panel is almost as big as it is.

But was it worth trading your dog for it?!??

Nice shop, sorry, just teasing. I do love the mill, and I'm taking notes on your collet and tooling rack. The zig zag toolpaths made a nice cosmetic effect.

Best,

BW

Bob,
I made the collet holder from a 3' long piece of 4"x 1.5" x .187"thk U-Chanel. I drilled thru a solid block of cold roll for a bushing and ran a 3/4-10 bolt thru it all and into the lifting hole of the mill. Works great.

Pete The Dog died last week.
He was 93 dog years old and far past his waranty!
We're going to get a new model ,but I can't imagine it will be an upgrade. He was a gooden.

I bought it new at the local Haas Factory outlet. They had an open house and knocked off $500. Other than that they don't move too much $wise on the Mini Mills. Also the guy who installed it downloaded visual quick code for me for free. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. It's not all that impressive.

I was torn between the tm-1 and the Mini Mill. I finally decided to forfeit travel for speed. Plus, for some reason, I think the Mini Mill is just a little more ridged.

Back