What's new
What's new

My CNC for knife prototyping

FrontSight

Plastic
Hi! Wow I wish I had discovered this forum 8 months ago!

I've been using my CNC with Autocad to prototype a knife I designed. In the pictures below, it is cutting my green soap (this modeling wax that I call green soap) and Corian.

fc393f7e.jpg

fc39684d.jpg

fc39684c.jpg

fc39634c.jpg

I did the maze just for fun and to help learn.
fc39634e.jpg

FrontSight

And this is the result! I customize this knife to a person's 2 finger measurement.

These are S30V stainless steel
fc8b7e73.jpg

fc6b6dae.jpg.thumb.jpg

and this is the same knife in anodized titanium
fc393cc1.jpg

fc393c78.jpg

I'm starting on some other projects now with a spare controller and potentially adding a fourth axis. HEre are some mills. What would be a good use for this one?
fc39693d.jpg

Some engraving mills also came with my CNC, but I can't see them doing anything but just snapping off the first time I used them. I broke 2 bigger mills on the S30V stainless in the past 8 months. That big red Emergency Stopp button comes in handy...

FrontSight

[This message has been edited by FrontSight (edited 05-03-2003).]

Those sure don't look much like the hands of shop floor personell. ?? LOL!

Just exactly what is the intended use of those knives? Just for someone looking for trouble?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Those sure don't look much like the hands of shop floor personell. ?? LOL!

Just exactly what is the intended use of those knives? Just for someone looking for trouble?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That is one lethal looking piece of metal whats it for? does not look like its for cutting birthday cake.You would not be able to buy something like that( thank God) in UK, and why does it need to be hidden easily? or concealed easily. It look as though its "designed for trouble" to me sorry not impressed with the idea although it's beatifully made .Alistair

Hi Alistair,

The purpose of the knife is to protect if needed. And if needed to protect my life, to kill.

I keep a fire extinguisher handy too, yet this does not mean that I am "looking for a fire to start."

I wear a seat belt and buy car insurance, yet this does not mean I am looking for a car accident. I do not even drive aggressively. As a matter of fact, I have never received a speeding ticket in my life, yet I still wear a seat belt and have insurance.

It is morally wrong to not protect yourself against some pathetic angry coward who decides to take his anger out on you in a life-threatening way. Perhaps Alistair you are a pacifist against all violence, even violence that protects. Realize that if you don’t resist, it is to the detriment of society as a whole.

Of course your first responsibility is to avoid bad situations. But if that doesn't work, then what?

re: why does it need to be small / hidden easily
If it is like a large hunting knife, chances are I won't have it with me when I need it. If I could predict when I would need it, I would choose to not be in the situation to begin with.

Have you ever used those small engraving mills on steel (and have them not just snap off)?

FrontSight

Front site;

If you check through some of the older posts on the CNC forum you will see several posts on CNC engraveing. I had asked some similar questions and there were a lot of valuable answers. Check it out and see if the answer to your question is in there.

And thank you for taking the time to post your pictures. It is always nice to see something that folks who use this site make.

Charles

[This message has been edited by CBlair (edited 05-05-2003).]

It is morally wrong to not protect yourself against some pathetic angry coward who decides to take his anger out on you in a life-threatening way.

I absolutely HATE the spin on the "cowardly acts" this last two yrs! As if there was even ONE coward that was involved in 9/11?!

Anyone who takes out his anger on you must not be too cowardly either!

Now, if you want to rephrase it to say some POS loser, then I have no problem with it at all, but PLEASE FOLKS, get off the coward BS, b/c from where I stand, I don't see any cowards! Just a Washington spin to make Americans feel good aboot themselves! Think for yourselves.

[End of rant, back to your regularly scheduled posting.]

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks Charles! I will check it out.

Hi Ox,

From your reply it seems like you think I am referring to a 9/11 terrorist situation? That is incorrect.

FrontSight

I guess if you have a lathe it is for gun barrels? Maybe you need to change neighborhoods or the people you deal with, but keep blowing that elephant whistle to keep them away too. So Sad...

Bill C.

Spent the night in my garage messing around with stuff. It's been a long time since I've done much there because I'm finishing up a grad school thesis. However, it's just too much fun to let sit for long.

Passed the "Hello World" test by getting the table to move using my redundant controller. Yay!

fc33cb8c.jpg

That very dense, precision piece of steel was what was in my suitcase as I strolled past Customs when returning from Vietnam in February. (My work takes me outside of the US often.) The rotary table just arrived from Vietnam. I didn't like Vietnam much at all, but the tour I had of one factory made the entire trip very worthwhile.

And a couple more parts that might someday be useful for the 4'th axis. The "getting started" manual was for my mouse, btw ;).

fc33d498.jpg

Anyone have any religious feelings or theoretical notions about the pros and cons of using stepper motors versus servo motors as a means of controlling motion?

Wanted to prototype some new knife models, so I went by the counter top place during lunch. Snagged a trunk-full of Corian pieces, including some in pretty greens and greys. Corian is so fun to work with. The pain-in-the-butt thing to do is planing the pieces to the right thickness.

fc33d48f.jpg

A couple followups to earlier posts:

Ox>> Anyone who takes out his anger on you must not be too cowardly either!

What is your logic behind your claim?

Most men are at least 2x-3x as strong as I am.

Gadget-C>> I guess if you have a lathe it is for gun barrels?

I would definitely like to get a lathe at some point, though not for gun barrels. The reason why I created my knife to begin with was because there was no knife that existed that was both small enough and retainable enough. The gun I have (and yes, have taken lots of training with) is almost perfect! No huge need to improve on its barrel. The grips - yes. I'd like to mill a special grip for it (a J-frame airweight) out of a very shock-absorbing plastic. Or maybe that is more a job for a mold?

Gadget-C>> Maybe you need to change neighborhoods or the people you deal with, but keep blowing that elephant whistle to keep them away too. So Sad...

Crime has feet. I am lucky enough for my employment to support living in a decent neighborhood. Living in a decent neighborhood definitely keeps someone away from a lot of risk.

Sad? My reaction to what is doesn’t change what is. The aggressor makes the rules. I could let myself get all mopey about it (and have), but that doesn’t change anything. I could take back one night each year with the mayor and the media, and that might make me feel better. But that wouldn’t change anything about how well I could protect myself if something were to happen.

Maybe one day the government will cure society or society will cure itself, and no one will ever try to (criminally and violently) hurt anyone else. Meanwhile, what to do? Of course your first responsibility is to avoid any bad situation that can be. If that doesn't work, then what?

It’s so easy (and perhaps a strong emotional need we have) to rationalize something bad happening to someone else by thinking well, they were just not smart, or they did something that I would never do that eventually led to this happening to them.

It’s easy when you are in the relative safety of your home or work typing away at your computer to think that you could not be so desparate that every cell in your body could feel fear and you would need / want to use a weapon like my knife or a gun to protect yourself or your family. Or to believe in the fairy tale that the police or someone else will come to your rescue.

FrontSight

What is your logic behind your claim?

If you don't understand what I am talking about, you may as well kiss that graduation goodby. I didn't think I was hiding anything. Pretty much laid it all out to see.

I am a pro gunner, (member NRA) but you seem to be a paranoid individual.

(Sorry this has to be on your personall thread.)

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What you are saying does not make sense, and you said nothing to explain it.

How is someone not a coward if they try to hurt someone else who is obviously 1/2 or 1/3 as strong? Ex: I am probably twice as strong as your average 10 year old boy. If I physically assaulted a 10 year old boy, that absolutely would make me, among other things, a coward.

FrontSight

Whatever....

I do want to say that while I find it terrible that you feel the need to make such an item, and worse that you probably can find plenty of folks that just gotta have one, I do feel that you have every right in the world (US anyhow) to make and own such an item. You can do no more damage with that than your mothers parie (sp?) knife. And not nearly as much as her carving knife. I guess it is just the attitude that would seem to go with it.

I was the fella that had a shotgun and rifle in the gun rack in the back winder of his pickup truck in the school parking lot and never even gave it a thought. Carried a pocket knife most every day of my life since 5th grade.

Is there a diff? Prolly not. I lean more towards the rednecks and you.... well, I'm not real sure. How much gang activity do you have going on there in Maine? LOL! If you had a buck knife on your belt I wouldn't think anything of it. Cultural diff I guess? Like I say, it's more the attitude that would seem to go with it.

NOW, with all that said, I think your craftsmanship looks VERY good!!! I cannot help you with engraving. Sorry.

I am not going to go back to the coward issue. We'll just let that be.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Frontsight;

I have been looking over some of your pictures and I have a question. I see that you are useing your little mill to cut plastic for prototypes but are you also useing it for cutting steel? I had looked at a small mill like you show but I did not think it was capable of cutting steel or anything harder than thin aluminum. I would be interested to know how it is working out for you.

Charles

Thats a neat design and idea for a self defense knife. I have one of the Cold Steels push knifes and I like the design. Great use for a CNC mill and I would think you could design and make unique and fantasy type blades. Good luck with your endeavors.
Wayne

Frontsight.
First of all may I say that you are a very talented individual so don't get all defesive.It is a well constructed piece of equipment (if that is the kind of thing you like),ok, and so long as if you get stopped by the police and are able to explain to them the reason why you need to have it hidden on your person,i e that it's for your own protection, well if they are hapopy with that for an excuse (which I doubt) well good luck.
All I am saying is it looks very agrssive
(I think secretly you realise that and won't admit it)possibly that's why you are becoming so defensive as to why you feel you need it.I am sure the criminal element would love them too, that is always the problem.
It seems a shame you feel the need for such a thing what kind of neigbours do you have that you feel you need to hide one about you person,in order to feel safe.
Sorry for the rant it's just that whenever I mention the weapons subject, I get back a lot of anger as to why I have the odassity to mention the menacing appearance of such a thing.
Sorry but to me, although well designed and I do apreciate the construction it looks very intimidating ,the kind of thing you would never find a Gentleman carrying let me put it that way.
Otherwise I bow to your ability well done for crafstmanship why not encase it in a plastic block and put it on the mantleppiece where it belongs (to be viewed only)Alistair

FrontSight, you'll have to excuse Alistair; you see, he's from Scotland, where men are not allowed to protect themselves or their families, and are taught that weapons are evil in and of themselves, and violent, twisted criminals..err, excuse me, "troubled human beings" cannot help but kill people whenever they stumble upon such a tool, therefore by making them illegal, they magically disappear and no one has to worry about them or any other sort of violence happily ever after. Aren't Fairy Tales neat? Now here's a real one:

"For so long as there shall but one hundred of us remain alive we will never give consent to subject ourselves to the dominion of the English. For it is not glory, it is not riches, neither is it honours, but it is liberty alone that we fight and contend for, which no honest man will lose but with his life." The Declaration of Arbroath, AD 1320

The Scotland of William Wallace, the Scottish Highlanders, and the 5-foot Claymore sword certainly is a far cry from the weak, frightened British-subject Scotland of today, eh laddies?

General G

[This message has been edited by GeneralG (edited 05-29-2003).]

Back