What's new
What's new

My hobby shop

Jon Bohlander

Stainless
Now that I've figured out how to post pictures. I thought I'd post a few of my garage shop. It's all for fun. Mainly I build more tools & tooling.

P1010053.jpg

My baby, 1939 K&T 2H vertical.
P1010054.jpg

The grinding section. A 6x12 Boyar-Schultz and a Enco T&C grinder. I got the T&C grinder for $100. No way I would spend the $2000 they want for a new one but it does the job.

P1010052.jpg

My current project is restoring this Elgin second op lathe. It had been stored outside under a tarp and had rusted. It's cleaning up well and seems to be in good shape.

P1010056.jpg

The cabinet in the corner was full of NC tape. Each drawer is 24" x 24" and was divided into 2" squares and just sits on angle iron slides. It wouldn't be hard to replicate one I've removed dividers as needed to store drills, lathe tools, etc. I made 2 plywood end mill stands. Alot can be crammed into it.

The arbor press is a Eames. It's the oldest thing in the shop as in 1919 Eames became the Atlas Press Co. of Atlas lathe fame.

P1010057.jpg

P1010055.jpg

A green Kennedy chest. I've asked on this board but I haven't heard of another. The close-up isn't very good but I was trying to show the decal that reads "Bighorn Line" and the pin-up calendar from Oct. 1947.

d96c187c.jpg

fcf97ba3.jpg

Hi Jon, nice shop! I've got a green "bighorn" Kennedy box, but mines a little different - it has small round drawer pulls instead of the flat bar style on yours. No idea how old mine is, but it's pretty old.

Matt

Superalloy-I'm glad to hear of another. I'm guessing late 30's of early forties for an age. :confused:

starbolin-I sold my mill/drill to make room and will be getting a drill press. It's possible to drill on the K&T using the power feed on the knee. It's the way too go on big drills but cumbersome for most stuff.

The ball turner will turn a 2.5" radius. I got a weird perspective going on in that picture. Heres some better ones. Thats a 12" speed square in the picture and it's made of 1" sq. CRS.

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010062.jpg

Great ! This shop looks like mine: machinery and tooling in a shop that "should have been bigger but it's just the space a normal garage supplies"
And you have even more tooling than I have.
What kind of projects do you grind on the grinder (besides tool sharpening) ?

Yoyo-

So far I just sharpen lathe tools. I haven't taken the time to learn more.
Theres alot of possibilties there. Unforutanely. accessories always go out of my budget on EBay. Someday I would like to build a fixture for grinding between centers.

Back