69.2 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 598
Are all of those doors REALLY hinged?
Or is that some sort of "look like" door?

Are you really puting hay/straw upstairs?

Looks very expensive!

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I was kinda curious about the hinges too. Looks really nice though, not a style we see much these days. Do you treat the outside with anything, or just let it age like that?

Where's the electrical entrance, underground?

Kingston,

I really like your "little" shop. That's a neat idea the way that you oriented the boards on the doors at a 45 degree angle. It's visually appealing as well as having a less likely tendency to droop over time. Nice touch. :cheers:

Now, after tantalizing us with a few pics, you gotta come back and show us the inside... :skep:

Brian :)

Looks very expensive!

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You can tell I'm an Aussie.lol. I was going to ask what the doors in the pitch were for?:crazy:
I should have known iv'e seen it in the movies:o

AWSOME looking shed mate, I would love something that size.
Matt

You have one beautiful shop you've built. I really love the older style like that. Please share with us what the inside looks like.
:cheers:

Please share with us what the inside looks like.
:cheers:

I second that! Lots of room to work with, for sure. I could almost fit my 400 sq./ft. shop through the front door of yours! How will you be heating and cooling that facility? What sort of insulation? Do you have a 400-amp 3-phase service? I'm always curious about the utilities that people choose for their new shop construction.

I'm guessing that he has a small repair shop for his logging equipment is all.

Prolly not a 600A/480V facility.... ;)

Prolly even a horsie for the daughter / grand-daughters?
(I expect the boyz to be more into the gater parked out front)

???

I hafta ask you guys tho - how is it that every pic that I see comming out of Mass looks semi rural? We have counties about the size of your state, and you have Boston there somewhere - don't you?
So how is it that everyone seems to have a 5 acre plot with a producing woods out back to supply any requirement for heat? And all with neighbors beynd a wooded lot somewhere yonder....

You guys all living the dream back there?

OK, my bad - I thought that the first pis showed a skidder with a semi tractor lookin' the other way beside it. But now that I blew up the pic a little bit, it now appears to be some big outdoor forktruck and an enclosed trailer with some skids parked in front of it.

???

So it appears that he's not a logger.

???

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Kingston...... :toetap: Do you realize that it's been 6 days since you posted the pics of your shop ? ... and you haven't responded ?

Ox has you pegged as a logger and that you live out in the boonies and must be keeping livestock on the second storey... SND figures that because he can't see your electrical entrance that you must be running on steam or water power... "david n" will replace your nice wood siding with steel if you don't come back soon...

tsk, tsk.... you really won't recognize the place when we're done with it... ;)

Brian :D

Nice building. Board and batten cedar? Now show us what's inside!

The siding is Boards and Battens, Eastern White Pine boards cut and sawn on site. Siding is on a drainage plane (Douglas Fir 2x4 girder/nailers held out 1/4" on strips of vaproshield wall shield laminated to homeslicker). This is on top of a vaproshield wall shield WRB, fastened to the exterior skin of the SIPs.

I might will treat it with something, I still have not decided. It gets plenty of air all the way around. With gutters, it should handle wet dry cycles just fine for years with little maintenance untreated. All end grain was sealed with anchor seal wax and joints are scarfed.

Ox

The doors are 3" thick solid pine made from three layers of 1" rough sawn pine. They are laminated together. The exterior layer is glued and nailed with silicone bronze pyramid head nails to the center layer and interior is screwed to the middle layer with 30lb felt in between.

No hay upstairs. The whole thing is heated. The second floor is for storage. It has a 100lb. live load clear span. I moved a large inventory of antique builder's hardware and fasteners up there.

The doors are hinged. I made the hinges. I'll post some pics.

The two halves on the gable end are each 8' wide x 12' tall (16'x12') opening. 800+ lbs. ea.

I was kinda curious about the hinges too. Looks really nice though, not a style we see much these days. Do you treat the outside with anything, or just let it age like that?

Where's the electrical entrance, underground?

Thank's for the compliment. I designed it to fit on my site, which includes the 18th century house that we live in. I needed a large shop and wanted it to fit in. I achieved this through massing, siteing, material selection, and choosing historically appropriate details. The front is getting a shed roof framed with exposed reclaimed hand hewn timbers, to further lend to the illusion that this has been here for a while. This shed roof extends across the right half of the front.

All of the electrical, com., water, etc. (in and out) are buried. There is a man hole outside connected to a man hole set in the floor of the mechanical space inside. Both are standard 36" precast concrete.

Kingston...... :toetap: Do you realize that it's been 6 days since you posted the pics of your shop ? ... and you haven't responded ?

Ox has you pegged as a logger and that you live out in the boonies and must be keeping livestock on the second storey... SND figures that because he can't see your electrical entrance that you must be running on steam or water power... "david n" will replace your nice wood siding with steel if you don't come back soon...

tsk, tsk.... you really won't recognize the place when we're done with it... ;)

Brian :D

OMG. I'm glad that I did not ask for design help before I started!

I forgot to subscribe to the thread and just assumed that no one was interested when I got no notifications...

I've got no livestock. Just the Lab in my avatar and were pretty sure he's human.

The barn will house my shop. I primarily do architectural and historic restoration and preservation. I also fool around with the local cranberry growers designing, building and repairing the specialized equipment used on cranberry bogs. The "shed", as our Aussie friend call it, is meant to put my wood shop, welding and fab shop, sheet metal shop, machine shop, office and inventory under one roof. The second floor is meant for mostly inventory. I have lots of antique builders, barn, trunk, furniture hardware, and fasteners. I also buy and sell tools, machinery, equipment and parts to help keep the lights on. I started collecting all of the above for use, but ended up with more than I could use, you know how the story goes.

More pics to come.

The inside has not been finished. It is all native pine on the walls and plaster on the ceilings. Being unfinished has not stopped me from moving in a bit.

I started with a 30' deep hole covered with 100' Eastern White Pines. I've done everything myself but form and pour the concrete and pour and finish the floor. I had help from friends and my guys, but it's been a lot of work.

I can't wait to see pictures of the inside either!

Gonna have to do some more fundraising...

A few piles of logs and the site partially cleared.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 316
More pics of site, foundation forms, and hinges. I used antique new old stock square head bolts and conical washers to attach the hinges.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg