my mini bridge crane
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default my mini bridge crane

I am trying to learn how to post pictures so I hope this works. I just finished building and installing a mini bridge crane to save my back when changing chucks and other assorted back harming activities.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bridgedog View Post
    I am trying to learn how to post pictures so I hope this works. I just finished building and installing a mini bridge crane to save my back when changing chucks and other assorted back harming activities.
    With the best of intentions to not lift anything over perhaps 50-80 lbs, the very fact that it exists is all too likely to mean that 'somebody, someday' will try a far heavier lift .. and fail the rig. With nasty side-effects.

That adequate support is not visible AND verifiable at a glance means it may not exist. it isn't obvious that it can support even its own unloaded traveler.

Happy to be wrong about that - but it is an a assumption that has kept me out of worse trouble.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to add, it might be best to label/stencil the capacity of the system on the bridge rail, etc. Just as a reminder to someone else.

The need to be very particular about overhead cranes to the point of nit picking every detail is because of the potential danger caused by a failure of the structure, etc. I don't think any of us would escape a hospital visit or worse on even a several feet long piece of 4" I beam falling on us....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I built the shop the trusses were engineered for the rails to be suspended from them with additional king posts and trussing. The rails are good for 2000 lbs each at a three to one safety factor.
    The cross rail is good for 1950 lbs at the same factor. The hoist is 1/4 ton. I am a crane operator by trade and am currently running a 140 ton crawler with 190 feet of boom. It also could be overloaded and fail. Proper training and knowledge are needed for every lift no matter how small. I will be posting a weight limit on the unit.

5. Likes Jashley73, Toolmaker51 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bridgedog View Post
    When I built the shop the trusses were engineered for the rails to be suspended from them with additional king posts and trussing. The rails are good for 2000 lbs each at a three to one safety factor.
    The cross rail is good for 1950 lbs at the same factor. The hoist is 1/4 ton. I am a crane operator by trade and am currently running a 140 ton crawler with 190 feet of boom. It also could be overloaded and fail. Proper training and knowledge are needed for every lift no matter how small. I will be posting a weight limit on the unit.
    Good news, all - and with your background, you would be among the first in line to know WHY I threw that flag with nothing in eye-shot but drywall and rails.....

;-)

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face

I applaud your comments. I would have expected none less. When people ask how it is attached I just say SUPERGLUE

8. Likes t.jones liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

..When people ask how it is attached I just say SUPERGLUE
    LOL! I had a 'country cousin' who swore by leather.

When challenged, he'd just look puzzled, go thoughtful, look down at the ground as if pondering.... finally raise his head and say:

" But is HAS to be strong stuff!

Leather holds an entire 2,000 pound BULL together, don't it? "

Bill

10. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL I guess I will have to look into some leather rigging.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What size members did you use and where did you find flanged wheels for the end trucks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The flanged wheels came from complete trolleys sourced from the unmentional horrible store. It was far cheaper than any individual wheels I found anywhere else. I also should say since that picture it has all the weight limits posted on the crossbeam and hand pendant. The old hoist is only a 1/4 ton so even maxing out the hoist which is far more than 500 lbs it is still well within the rails and crossbeam capacity.

14. Likes Jeremiah1812 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice! I love my bridge crane!