What's new
What's new

my mini bridge crane

bridgedog

Hot Rolled
I am trying to learn how to post pictures so I hope this works. I just finished building and installing a mini bridge crane to save my back when changing chucks and other assorted back harming activities.
DSC02359.jpg

Just to add, it might be best to label/stencil the capacity of the system on the bridge rail, etc. Just as a reminder to someone else.

The need to be very particular about overhead cranes to the point of nit picking every detail is because of the potential danger caused by a failure of the structure, etc. I don't think any of us would escape a hospital visit or worse on even a several feet long piece of 4" I beam falling on us....

When I built the shop the trusses were engineered for the rails to be suspended from them with additional king posts and trussing. The rails are good for 2000 lbs each at a three to one safety factor.
The cross rail is good for 1950 lbs at the same factor. The hoist is 1/4 ton. I am a crane operator by trade and am currently running a 140 ton crawler with 190 feet of boom. It also could be overloaded and fail. Proper training and knowledge are needed for every lift no matter how small. I will be posting a weight limit on the unit.

The flanged wheels came from complete trolleys sourced from the unmentional horrible store. It was far cheaper than any individual wheels I found anywhere else. I also should say since that picture it has all the weight limits posted on the crossbeam and hand pendant. The old hoist is only a 1/4 ton so even maxing out the hoist which is far more than 500 lbs it is still well within the rails and crossbeam capacity.

Back