What's new
What's new

My new "L" shaped400 sq foot attached shop

Brett by Portland

Hot Rolled
Well here is my new odd, but functionally shaped shop. It is next to my house and built as large as code allows and is basically a 20'x7' hallway expanding into a 20'x 12'room. The narrow hallway works great, as, for instance, I can start drilling on the Solberga with power feed, then deburr previously drilled parts on jet drill presses by simply turning around.

Hope you enjoy the lousy pictures of my messy shop. Brett
viewnorthoverall.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
viewSouth.JPG
[/url][/IMG]
enginelatherow.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Rivett1020.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
MightyHolbrookh15.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Millgrinder.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
drillbandsaw.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
workbench.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Mike, I have yet to use the surface grinder in this setup, but you can be sure that I will build proper shrouding, plus cover the precision stuff with sheets. Surface grinders are nasty, I will mostly grind with coolant on so dust should be minimal. Additionally I do very little grinding, but, a surface grinder is just hard to live without.

Brett

Markus, The other engine lathe is a Holbrook H-15 toolroom lathe, My favorite, and the first lathe I have owned which doesn't leave me dreaming of something better. It weighs 6700lbs and swings 16" and handles 36" between centers. 2" spindle hole, metric threading with 1 lever change, lead screeeww reverse etc. etc. The half-painted green lathe is a Wade 94 hand turret lathe which is like a Hardinge, but makes better time due to it's electric clutches.

Brett

Great shop... and it is a good thing you don't build big projects.... and you have got a lot of nice stuff and of course I like the Rivett..... and I sure hope you don't have to move any time soon....

Lots of GOODIES !!!

I kept looking for a ladder, figured there must be one someplace mounted on wheels to breeze down the isle to reach all the top shelf inventory - finally spoted a green ladder glued to the ceiling, well maybe on ropes and pulleys or there is another one around to reach it. Very nice collection indeed.

Mike, I have yet to use the surface grinder in this setup, but you can be sure that I will build proper shrouding, plus cover the precision stuff with sheets. Surface grinders are nasty, I will mostly grind with coolant on so dust should be minimal.
Figured you must have something in mind as you don't sound like the sort to mistreat tools. You sure have a nice collection.

I've located all of my grinding stuff on the opposite end of the shop from lathe, mill, etc. but still plan to put up some sort of barrier on the surface grinder - maybe welding curtain as I figure that should be at least a little spark resistant. It will be dry grinding for me unless some sort of coolant system can be rigged up.

Mike

Nice shop Brett. I like both of your lathes. One thing nobody has mentioned is the view out your window. All that green is sure different than looking out my shop window at the desert!
Michael

Sweet looking shop Brett, you really have a lot of capability in a small space, nice and bright too.

I have to second Michael Az's comment, what a nice view out the window, lots of green.

How long has it taken you to collect all that?

Mark

Mark, and Michael

I moved out here for the lush, moist and green environment. Odd that it is usually hot and sunny throughout July and August (everything turns brown, greens up in winter!). I can't stand bright sun and temps over 95 degrees, and I love overcast, rainy skies (learned to love that on Adak out in the Aleutians when I was a Navy Dependent). Best of all,is that in my shop it stays cool (2x6 walls insulated) and in the shade from midday sun. So far it seems like it stays about 50 degrees now that it is cold and rainy....love it, nice temp. Yeah, I went crazy with lights (32 of those skinny flourescent bulbs),and you can't see the 2 skylights, not a shadow in the place with the lights on, on sunny days no lights needed at all.

I have been accumulating machinist type equipment seriously since 1999, curiously coinciding with my finding the internet/google,networking, learning from, and making friends with all the cool people like you guys. Just never could accumulate knowledge as efficiently before that.
Not one cent of my regular day job salary has gone into my shop and equipment, it is all self generated through the manufacturing of bicycle repair tools, buying/selling machines, and side jobs.
I really don't have anything left on my "A" list anymore.........plus no room, I just keep buying quick-change toolholders (have 39 for the Holbrook and 30 for the Rivett) as I just can't stand changing insert toolholders.... I am too lazy.

Brett

Brett you have a very well equiped shop there. I am *not* going to let my wife see it or she will take most of my 3000 sq. ft. back. :D

How many tries did it take to lay them out like
that? I think you get the most machines per square foot award, I probably couldn't get that
many in 3 times the space.

I particularly like the view out the window in front of the Rivit, how do you ever get any work done on that machine. I think I might have to paint the window black.

Charles

Dualkit and Charles. I had been using the machines in my garage peerimiter for years and pertty much drew the whole thing out on graph paper and made little paper shapes scaled to machione and work envelope and started laying out while thinking about frequency of use and dirtiness (see grinder wall). laid it out once and it seems to work well.
The view is of the little pond in our cottage-garden style backyard.......no lawn mowing for me......more time to spend in shop.

Brett

Tubalcain, No, I am a short guy, but strong and sturdy and not too smart (Size 10 shirt size 2 hat
) I just grab them an dchuck them up there. On the other hand I just acquired a Cincinatti dividing head and it is HEAVY. I may make a very sturdy shelf at mill table height to slide on and off of table.

Brett

Back