What's new
What's new

My new lathe

TheCzechBoss

Plastic
i finally bought a machine i felt worthy of posting here i just got it home , im awating on a friend to come install and wire up the VFD for it , this is a Pratt and whitney 16in lathe 3.jpg2.jpg

i also have a Sheldon Vernon horiztonal and a old atlas 12in

i figured this might as well be my first post , im into more just tinkering around in the shop im a full time Millwright so my times limited anymore :ack2:

i finally bought a machine i felt worthy of posting here i just got it home , im awating on a friend to come install and wire up the VFD for it , this is a Pratt and whitney 16in lathe View attachment 192964View attachment 192965

i figured this might as well be my first post , im into more just tinkering around in the shop im a full time Millwright so my times limited anymore :ack2:
That is a good looking Lathe
I would love to find one just like it
I think I might know where one is
But not really sure .
Soon as I get the chance to see it I will

i got it up and leveled and ran it for a few before the vfd died ... what weight oil should i put in the main gear box ?

Observations, with some expertise.

i finally bought a machine i felt worthy of posting here i just got it home , im awating on a friend to come install and wire up the VFD for it , this is a Pratt and whitney 16in lathe View attachment 192964View attachment 192965

I'll word this carefully, to not insult any reader, nor directly at OP. Being accessible by unknown parties is main consideration.
Cast pedestal lathes have high centers of gravity, sheet metal base bench models far worse. A casual glimpse at the trailer photo doesn't indicate any lashing that encircle the load.
Lathe weights are calculated on a certain bed length, longer or shorter corrected by a known pounds per foot. Normally carriage and tailstock are parked far right on the ways to offset head stock.
At minimum: That strap over ways should wrap once on dunnage, under clutch and lead shafts, arresting movement side to side. 2 are better. Mere friction is not dependable.
The remaining binding at head and tail stock aren't tending fore and aft to keep load shifting from an abrupt stop, pot hole, collision or slick deck.
Having moved many intermediate units; 10' tall bandsaws, knee mills, various grinders, shear, and brake, only the shear had broad footprint in comparison to weight. I winch aboard to a reasonably estimated load center just forward of axle on skates or Egyptian rollers as appropriate.
Moves are completely unaided, not that I'm unliked, pointless entertaining un-enthused passengers out on machine expeditions.

Back