Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the other end I have prepared the wheel extension to be welded. I decided to put the crane on the rail line that it will eventually sit on. This makes it easier to keep it straight and level with the correct width between the wheels. There will be lots and measuring then remeasuring before it welded back up.

img_2093.jpg

img_2094.jpg

img_2095.jpg

Mark

2. Likes snapatap, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't believe how the months have flown. A lot has happened since my last post.
    The drought ended with a serious flood and massive damage to fences and other infrastructure. Still fixing fences.
    Coronavirus hit which has had a significant impact on work. Some of you know I work in the medical field and work has been pretty busy last few months. Mostly planning around what might happen rather than dealing with large numbers of sick patients.
    Then my friend who is helping me build the shed had a minor stroke and has been away since.
    So have been chipping away on my own with slow but steady progress.

In my last post I had just moved the crane into the shed to start working on it. Its not that heavy (?3 tonne)but awkward to set up and move. My plan was to set the crane up on the same railway line that it was going to sit on in the roof. So the railway line was set up the same distance apart that it was in the shed and laser leveled so it was on a flat level plane. Because the crane had been cut in half for transport the support from one end was cut off then replaced at the appropriate length on the remaining beam. This was time consuming,awkward and fiddly to get right. All the time trying to not have anything fall on me. Eventually got everything tack welded into place. I had planned to get a professional welder to weld the whole thing together but he pulled out due to travel/social distancing restrictions with coronavirus. So I welded some myself and got a retired welder friend to do some of the more difficult bits. Turned out pretty good in the end. Because I have no power for the welder at the shed I ran it off the 75kva generator I have there. No problems and did it easy. They recommend at least a 50kva generator to run the welder!!

Time for some pictures.

img_2090-1-.jpg

img_2091-1-.jpg

img_2092-1-.jpgThese 3 pictures are of the section that I had to cut the end off. It is upside down to make it easier. I was going to air arc gouge the welds away but a lot of them were pretty inaccessible so cut it up with a hand grinder. Slow and had to be very careful.

img_2093-1-.jpg

img_2094-1-.jpgPositioning the wheel support that had been removed for transport. Obviously needed to be straight and level. Then tacked into place.

More next post.

Cheers

Mark

4. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time to continue with the pictures.

img_2105-1-.jpg

img_2105-1-.jpgAt this stage preparing the end I had cut off to be transplanted on to the end of this beam.

img_2136.jpgLeveling the railway line so all four crane wheels were on a flat plane.

img_2142.jpg

img_2144.jpgHaving cut the crane beam to length ( this was definitely a measure twice cut once situation ) I then positioned the end back under the beam in preparation for welding.

Continue next post.

Mark

6. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Continuing on.

img_2169.jpgYep its wet. This picture is from our front yard.

img_2308.jpg

img_2309.jpgWelding the outrigger wheel housings back on

img_2311.jpg

img_2312.jpg

More photos next post

Mark

8. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_2313.jpg

img_2323.jpg

img_2324.jpg

img_2325.jpg

img_2330.jpg
    With the crane welded up and painted it was time for all the other jobs. Cutting to length and rejoining the drive shaft for the wheels and a wire to hang the leads to the winch.

At this stage I powered up the crane and sad to say nothing worked. Stress++
    The electronics on even a simple crane are complicated ( to me anyway ) . They have 415v circuits, 240v circuits and 32v circuits, lots of magnetic switches and transformers and the brake is driven off a 240v inverter. But after much testing with a voltage meter the offending issues were ironed out one by one till everything worked (thankfully).

Mark

10. Likes Ox, CBlair, bryan_machine, david n, aarongough and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So now it was time to think about painting the shed floor before we started moving machines in. I had the crane booked to put the crane in the roof and move the big planer (14 tonne and too heavy for me to move) so had to get onto it. First had to move everything including the crane out of the shed.

img_2332.jpg

img_2333.jpg

I'll talk about the floor next post

Mark

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been thinking about and talking to people about the floor for sometime. Eventually decided on a two pack epoxy coating in light grey.

First had to clean the cement. After months of dust storms then serious rain, along with driving all over it, the floor was very dirty.

So a sweep then vacuum, then pressure wash followed by an acid etch and then repeat pressure wash finally had the floor pretty clean.

img_2335.jpg

img_2336.jpg

qmky4089.jpg

Once that is done time to prepare for hoisting the crane into place and lifting the planer off the truck. Just need to make some 75mm lifting bars.
    Still need to get the crane rail trucks all trued up and running parallel .
    I think I can see the end in sight.

Cheers

Mark

13. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the day had finally come. Time to put the crane into the shed. For the last few days have been straightening the crane rails and making sure they are parallel and exactly 10.970 m apart. Eventually all 112 hook bolts are in and tightened and I'm happy its as good as I can make it.
    The plan was to get the 35 tonne crane to lift the big planer off the truck first. At 14 tonne for the planer bed alone and with not much room it was always going to be tight. Had to make some lifting bars and collars as the crane company didn't have any!
    The last few days have had some sleepless nights about all the things that could go wrong. It won't fit (even though I had measured it many times) or we drop something or we lose control and it crashes into the shed. So in some ways it was nice that the day had finally come.

Best to just let the pictures do the talking

img_2375.jpg

img_2377.jpg

img_2381.jpg

Sorry some of the pictures are on there side but I don't know how to fix that.

Next to put in the crane

Mark

15. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_2386.jpg

img_2387.jpg

img_2398.jpg

img_2400.jpg

img_2403.jpg

All went smoothly and the crane fitted perfectly.

Tried to move the planer to its final position with the 12 tonne forklift but that was a no go so will skate it into position tomorrow. I finally think I'm over the worst and mostly down hill from here

Mark

17. Likes david n, DrHook, Ox, aarongough, Garwood and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had that last section of roof not been put on yet at all?

Your fork truck doesn't go quite high enough to land the crane?
    It looks like it goes quite high for that capacity lift.

Or maybe there isn't enough room [width wise] to swing it into position?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could have left out the last 2 sections of rail and pick the crane up from under the beams and drive it straigt in ???

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of the heavier capacity oil and gas shops nearby have their crane rails continue outside the building with elaborate methods to seal up building for our -40 days. Makes for easier lifts outside on the days you need and a heck of a lot easier rigging to put the crane up to begin with. Suspect the OP was using similar logic.

And this guy, who’s overhead crane can only do three tons, is impressed and slightly jealous of the OP’s set up!

L7

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you up on The Northern Corridor?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, global warming. Only -35.

:-)

Shops I’m talking about are in Sask and Alberta.

L7

23. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Could have left out the last 2 sections of rail and pick the crane up from under the beams and drive it straigt in ???

Peter
    Did think about that but the crane needed to be lifted from above because of various hangers/tracts underneath. So now the forks are near on 20 ft up with an uphill slope to the shed. Also only 4 inches gap either side so tight fit. Also crane needed to come anyway to lift the planer in. So it was quicker,easier,safer and didn't cost much extra to lift it in with the crane.

Cheers

Mark

25. Likes Ox, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The shed build has continued to progress slowly.

img_2426.jpg The final roof bay was completed and insulated. It was very nice to finally get off the roof. Even though I was wearing a harness and clicked on to a central wire I think I'm getting too old for roof work.

Then it was time to make the beam for the sliding door to hang off. The door is roughly 16 ft x 16 ft so pretty heavy. I had some thick walled 6 inch x 4 inch RHS hanging around so used that. I wanted it to be as dust proof as possible so it became a bit more complicated than normal but worked out well in the end.

img_2428.jpg

img_2429.jpg

img_2430.jpg

Cheers

Mark

27. Likes Garwood, DrHook, aarongough liked this post