What's new
What's new

my shop

chip_maker

Stainless
hello all-
i just joined this site and i must say what a great site it is!! it's nice to see pics of other members shops especially the "garage" shops (that is where my father started the shop i now own). here's a link to my website www.durbinmachine.com

Very nice shop, and tidy too.
Spent 2 years on one of them LeBLOND Regal,
bring back a lot of memories.
Jamie

Guess it's time for an update. In August we started building an addition on my dad's shop in upstate NY. 40x80 with 14' high ceilings and a real floor, 12" of 5000psi fiber reinforced. Pretty excited about the floor seeing it will be the first "real" floor I've ever been on.

Hope to be moved in before next winter. Not looking forward to moving my whole shop, but it will be worth it once it's all done.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Curious why stick built versus metal?

When all the numbers came in, stick framing was the most cost effective.

I liked the idea of putting up a partial second floor for storage, that a steel building offered, But with the stick frame there's less cubic feet to heat.

Looks good. Are you concerned about post rot?
Nope. Those posts will out last me.

There are 2x12's around the entire perimeter. Those were used as the forms for the floor and also for fastening the exterior tin down low. So the posts are surrounded by concrete on 3 sides.

We brought in sand to build up the pad, so all the posts are set in sand and sloped away from the building for drainage.

There was also a bag of concrete put in the bottom of each hole.

The rating on the posts is 50-80 years continuous ground contact.

Even if they all rotted out, I don't think that the building would go anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nope. Those posts will out last me.

There are 2x12's around the entire perimeter. Those were used as the forms for the floor and also for fastening the exterior tin down low. So the posts are surrounded by concrete on 3 sides.

We brought in sand to build up the pad, so all the posts are set in sand and sloped away from the building for drainage.

There was also a bag of concrete put in the bottom of each hole.

The rating on the posts is 50-80 years continuous ground contact.

Even if they all rotted out, I don't think that the building would go anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thats good to hear. I just got my building finished using almost identical construction as yours.

We have a Morton barn that we put up in '82 that we had a cpl of posts rotted in two in a corner that was not concreted - where there were horse stalls. But there were only horses there for a cpl/three years. Otherwise - it seemed to lay wet for some reason there. My concrete guys put in new bottoms and tied them in, and then poured concrete around them when upgrading that section a few years ago.

I have seen a chums building that is cold storage and all concrete that has several of the poles about gone at the surface.
I don't have a clue why?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back