What's new
What's new

My Shop Cady Enterprise Est. 2006

csharp

Stainless
I read so many good stories here I thought I would share mine. Not nearly as colorful as many but here it goes.

Since about 2000 I had been looking into starting a Machine/Fabrication shop. I had looked any a couple of shops to purchase but the stars just never seemed to align. I had been changing jobs a lot as I get easily bored. I went from Alstom Power to Dresser Rand to Rotating Machinery. I quit Rotating Machinery and got by Series 7 stock broker license and went to work as a investment adviser. I absolutely hated it. I ended up going back to Rotating Machinery.

In 2006 I was working in a back building with one other guy for Rotating Machinery and I decided to type up a letter and make an offer for the equipment that was in that building and I would lease the building from him. Very nervous to approach owner as I assumed he could say no and realize I really wanted to be on my own and just fire me. Not to mention 4th child was on the way.

I handed the letter to the owner and told him he did not need to read it right then as I did not want to pressure or put him on the spot. Almost 2 weeks went by and he called me to his office. He asked me if there was anything that would get me to stay and wanted to make sure it was not a problem between me and the company. I told him that if I stay today I will still be looking for the next opportunity to start a business as it is just something I want to do. He said I understand as he did the same thing himself and understood the desire of owning a business. He said I accept you offer and you are on your own Friday.

This man who I seldom spoke with turned into the be such a great guy. Charged me almost nothing for rent and for almost 5 years. Loaned me tools, machines, knowledge etc... He never even cashed the last months rent.

I have read many post about people starting business and ones that were handed done. I am surely going to admit I had a lot of help, but I also put in a lot of my time, money and personal sacrifice with my family in to it. It was many many hours and lots of frustration along the way. I spent nights at the shop with out going home for 40 hours some times. I hope to build a business that my children can be a part of some day.

I hope to get some pictures on the equipment up that I started with.

Here are the pictures of the first equipment I owned. I look back at all the parts we made on them and could not imagine doing it with them again today. The lathe just had an aloris tool post no indexing turret.

kneemill.jpg
ROMI.jpg

Geez. That's not what I expected when you said "shed out back". Painted floors, metal on the walls, and a C and C lathe?

Cool.

Top pic is a non-contact labyrinth seal and bottom pics are knife seals. :)

Not my Q

The whole "business" story just had my head going :crazy:

Short of the guy having gotten a notice of 6 months to live just prior, and trying to make some amends to buy his way into heaven, there is a lot of holes in that story.... All starting with "why".....
Just so many things to put after "why" to even know where to begin asking...

???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well Ox, there are some genuinely nice people out there. Mind you, I've never met any of them...

"Nice" could qualify several of the "why's", granted...

But not why he was willing to sell it off in the first place.
The puzzle is fuzzy at best ....

On the other hand, I can see there being some reasons why that one would rather not like to have public knowledge too I guess. (provided he still has more than 2 weeks to live)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

"Nice" could qualify several of the "why's", granted...

But not why he was willing to sell it off in the first place.
The puzzle is fuzzy at best ....

On the other hand, I can see there being some reasons why that one would rather not like to have public knowledge too I guess. (provided he still has more than 2 weeks to live)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,
Yes there are many part of the story left out. I am no story teller for sure. If you have any why questions I would answer them the best I could.

The equipment that I was sold was the stuff they didn't really want or use any more. I was in the back building trying to expand the seal making side of business while I worked there.

Yes he was a very nice man. The Company at the time had about 35 employees several cnc and manual machines. The also had a full design and engineering staff and a field service group.

The building they were in was full and they were looking to expand is why I was in the back building not the back shed. They had purchased new equipment and moved these machine into the back building. Things were getting a little rocky with the company financially when I made the offer. I don't know "why" he did what he did. Maybe he knew the struggles he has been through and wanted to help, believe me I ask my self the same question.

All I can say is I am thankful he did. I had employees from time to time, never more than 2 full time. The best employee I had decided to purchase a shop and try to make a go of it for himself. I have offered to help him in any way I can. I always wanted to do something extremely nice for the person that sold me this equipment. However he has done well for himself and has few worries. I feel the best way to honor him is to pay if forward if I can. I have limited resources to do it with but think it is the right thing to do.

Top pic is a non-contact labyrinth seal and bottom pics are knife seals. :)

Correct they are all non contacting seals. The first one we refer to as a TEE seal due to the shape of the teeth on the face. The second seal actually fits into the id of the first seal. So it seals axially and radially.

Cool story so far!
Can I ask what the application for these lab-seals is? I have dealt with them on a much smaller scale in multi-cylinder two-cycle engines. Curious what other applications there are for them. The principle behind them is pretty cool stuff.

Cool story so far!
Can I ask what the application for these lab-seals is? I have dealt with them on a much smaller scale in multi-cylinder two-cycle engines. Curious what other applications there are for them. The principle behind them is pretty cool stuff.

They are used in large Centrifugal compressors. Brands like DEMAG, Clark, Joy/Cooper/Cameron etc....

They have many applications in the rotating/turbo industry. Steam turbines, compressors, expanders.

That is really an interesting way to get started, almost sounds like some sort of dream land. But I know you'll have your struggles all the same. Looking forward to hearing more about the story. I love the nice clean shop:)

That is really an interesting way to get started, almost sounds like some sort of dream land. But I know you'll have your struggles all the same. Looking forward to hearing more about the story. I love the nice clean shop:)

We have had our share of struggles along the way. I was given a great opportunity. However all I really bought was 2 machines. It was not like he was selling me an established business. They were still in business and growing. I had a gentleman agreement to not go after any of his customers. I was outsourced some work from them and also had to find work on my own. Landed a couple of good customers and was able to make it work.

I have made many mistakes along the way. I worked more hours that I had imagined possible. In the compressor repair business many times you are working on parts for a down machine. Very important to get machine up and running quickly.

Biggest regret so far is lost time with family.

I have more photos and such to share about where we are today, just takes time to get to it.

Things for first year were pretty tough. I had no real concept of how much would be required when you are a one man shop and must ordering every tool, invoicing, packing, programming etc...

But once we started to settle in to a routine and find some customers things started picking up and we were able to purchase 2 new machines.

SL30.jpgTM3.jpg

After renting shop space for 3-4 years, the company I rented from was bought out and growing so I was asked to move on. It was time for me anyway. I was tired of drive 25 miles each way and wanted my family more involved. I grew up on a dairy farm, but had moved into our small town with neighbors on both sides. We needed to find some land to build on close to home. 60acres came up for sale with 3phase power going right across it. We purchased it and put up a 40x60 steel building. This land had a small house on it in need of some work. In my families eyes moving out of town to where we are now was probably the worst day they could imagine. I would see them just walk around saying there is nothing to do.

I can't seem to find many of the construction photos, but here are some of our current shop.

IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0121.jpg
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg

Hard to believe how 3 years of county life has changed my kids.
Now we have pigs, bale hay, and run equipment.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0093.jpg

What's wrong with you?
Jeez, you rip your kids out of the town and push them into no man's land. Aha! Now they will learn and have responsibilities. Probably the smartest move you'll ever make. They'll grow up to be actual adults. Betcha can't get them to go back to town now!

Back