What's new
What's new

My small machines

rmist

Plastic
Hello all,
This is my 1st post and wanted to share what I have to work with. I have limited space and no basement access besides going thru my house and going down a flight of wooden steps. I don't believe they would hold much weight either. So...basically I have bench type machines. They work well enough for there intended use with modifications and tweaking. Picture of my basement shop, a little engine working on, and gears that I have made for the engine. I am here to learn more about machining as I'm not a machinist. Everything so far is self taught. I realize these aren't professional grade machines and home use only, but I have to start someplace !
I've been looking for a new to me lathe for awhile with no luck. I will put something in the right forum for that.
Thanks for having me here...

Attachments

• basement shop.jpg
    basement shop.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,150
  • Hoglet parts.jpg
    Hoglet parts.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,210
  • finished gears.jpg
    finished gears.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 966
Hello all,
This is my 1st post and wanted to share what I have to work with. I have limited space and no basement access besides going thru my house and going down a flight of wooden steps. I don't believe they would hold much weight either. So...basically I have bench type machines. They work well enough for there intended use with modifications and tweaking. Picture of my basement shop, a little engine working on, and gears that I have made for the engine. I am here to learn more about machining as I'm not a machinist. Everything so far is self taught. I realize these aren't professional grade machines and home use only, but I have to start someplace !
I've been looking for a new to me lathe for awhile with no luck. I will put something in the right forum for that.
Thanks for having me here...

Is it going to run?

You've done some looking around here before you posted. :cheers: Maybe you'll squeak by? Technically by the rules? Probably not? Don't take it personally if things don't go well.

I've been getting paid by companies to do this work for a long time. I've always thought it to be bit funny that if I had machine tools at my house I'd hafta be called a hobbyists (because it would be strictly a hobby) and don't know if it would be excepted on the shops board? But I understand that. Even though it's all I know. Lol...

Good luck! Is pretty cool stuff you've made.

Brent

That engine looks great.

As mentioned focus your postings such that the question is not hobby like.

Avoid brand names and other banned items.

Asking about rigging a given amount of weight into your basement instead of how do I get the banned item in.

There also is a hobby forum that covers many different areas of machine, interest and skills so questions relating to things or machines that may be considered banned here are welcome there so selecting the proper place depending on what you need can often help.

The design elements of your engine look good and sharing those would be nice.

If you are using your equipment to create sellable items then by definition you are a professional but the board still restricts some things so please read the rules and that will help avoid getting flamed by some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Judging from your work, you don't have anything to prove. Ignore anybody who says you're a hobbyist. Henry Ford was considered a hobbyist. A "tinkerer," they called him.

I started with a whole lot less sophisticated equipment than what you've got there, and I was inspired by the success of giants who started the same way. Best of luck to ya!

Back