UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My small machines

Hello all,
    This is my 1st post and wanted to share what I have to work with. I have limited space and no basement access besides going thru my house and going down a flight of wooden steps. I don't believe they would hold much weight either. So...basically I have bench type machines. They work well enough for there intended use with modifications and tweaking. Picture of my basement shop, a little engine working on, and gears that I have made for the engine. I am here to learn more about machining as I'm not a machinist. Everything so far is self taught. I realize these aren't professional grade machines and home use only, but I have to start someplace !
    I've been looking for a new to me lathe for awhile with no luck. I will put something in the right forum for that.
    Thanks for having me here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails basement-shop.jpg   hoglet-parts.jpg   finished-gears.jpg  

2. Likes SND, ManualEd, Oldwrench, Hobby Shop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rmist View Post
    Hello all,
    This is my 1st post and wanted to share what I have to work with. I have limited space and no basement access besides going thru my house and going down a flight of wooden steps. I don't believe they would hold much weight either. So...basically I have bench type machines. They work well enough for there intended use with modifications and tweaking. Picture of my basement shop, a little engine working on, and gears that I have made for the engine. I am here to learn more about machining as I'm not a machinist. Everything so far is self taught. I realize these aren't professional grade machines and home use only, but I have to start someplace !
    I've been looking for a new to me lathe for awhile with no luck. I will put something in the right forum for that.
    Thanks for having me here...
    Is it going to run?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You've done some looking around here before you posted. Maybe you'll squeak by? Technically by the rules? Probably not? Don't take it personally if things don't go well.

I've been getting paid by companies to do this work for a long time. I've always thought it to be bit funny that if I had machine tools at my house I'd hafta be called a hobbyists (because it would be strictly a hobby) and don't know if it would be excepted on the shops board? But I understand that. Even though it's all I know. Lol...

Good luck! Is pretty cool stuff you've made.

Brent

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice work!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes...when completed it'll run on pump gas.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Impressive beer can helicopter you got there

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    You've done some looking around here before you posted. Maybe you'll squeak by? Technically by the rules? Probably not? Don't take it personally if things don't go well.

I've been getting paid by companies to do this work for a long time. I've always thought it to be bit funny that if I had machine tools at my house I'd hafta be called a hobbyists (because it would be strictly a hobby) and don't know if it would be excepted on the shops board? But I understand that. Even though it's all I know. Lol...

Good luck! Is pretty cool stuff you've made.

Brent
    Nice work with some limited space and tools. Also don't be offended when a certain member appears ranting about any "non-professional" posting anything, and how that equipment and shop are crap, compared to his multi-million dollar corporate-equipped playpen.

9. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rmist View Post
    Yes...when completed it'll run on pump gas.
    I love it when those tiny engines run....I wish I had time to build one, just too busy keeping the bills paid.

11. Likes ManualEd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're well on your way,keep up the good work

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for praise ... I do make some small items that I sell....bore jags, rim fire recoil lugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That engine looks great.

As mentioned focus your postings such that the question is not hobby like.

Avoid brand names and other banned items.

Asking about rigging a given amount of weight into your basement instead of how do I get the banned item in.

There also is a hobby forum that covers many different areas of machine, interest and skills so questions relating to things or machines that may be considered banned here are welcome there so selecting the proper place depending on what you need can often help.

The design elements of your engine look good and sharing those would be nice.

If you are using your equipment to create sellable items then by definition you are a professional but the board still restricts some things so please read the rules and that will help avoid getting flamed by some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Judging from your work, you don't have anything to prove. Ignore anybody who says you're a hobbyist. Henry Ford was considered a hobbyist. A "tinkerer," they called him.

I started with a whole lot less sophisticated equipment than what you've got there, and I was inspired by the success of giants who started the same way. Best of luck to ya!

17. Likes D KIRBY, Zahnrad Kopf, Hobby Shop, neilho liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice work, especially considering the limitations of the shop. Your own design?