What's new
What's new

My tiny workshop near the artic circle

Please do a panoramic outside, what was the temperature outside this morning? How do you heat your shop?

WTF? His genetics? He would not!

Refrigerate it, rather! To keep vermin out.
He only has to keep HIMSELF warm. Not the whole world.

See cap and beard, "Cyclonic gear" video.. "etc"
A person's HEAD can lose about 40% of body heat.

Ask a Russian about that. Or see "Winter War"...

:D

It looks like we all have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to organize all the little bits. I lack the motivation to use my hobby shop during the Canadian winter, between the cold and the dark its hard to tear myself away from the woodstove in the living room.

A small shop like the OP’s is not difficult to heat if well insulated. Mine, which is bigger, stays remarkably warm as long as machines are running... Cooling in summer is actually more difficult.

SBAER, Kitchener cold? Pfftt. Try northern prairies! Get out and enjoy yer shop! Muttering to himself: Southern Ontario people... ;-)

L7

It looks like we all have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to organize all the little bits. I lack the motivation to use my hobby shop during the Canadian winter, between the cold and the dark its hard to tear myself away from the woodstove in the living room.

Only because it is augmented by flatulence and you would rather risk muscle atrophy or freezing to death that order a longer hose.

You'd have to know cheapskates?

:D

After all, Canada wudda been to the SOUTH of the lower 48 were it not for the Zeppelin effect.

I'm waiting for the videos of our Santa Claus double as he makes toys for the Children of the whole world.

Not just for other Machinists to cogitate over!

A small shop like the OP’s is not difficult to heat if well insulated.
So true. All that is needed to keep this workshop warm is to have the lights and the machines on. Other times a tiny 500W electric radiator is more than enough. And Yes, the house, including my workshop, is well insulated.

Try northern prairies!
I can imagine the horizontal snow penetrating into every available cavity. However, areas with open sea and low temeperatures are the worst possible. Usually cold weather is also bone dry unless there is some large water area nearby. The high humidity + low temperature is as bad as high temperature + high humidity.

I remember driving my Citroen BX back in the nineteens in the eastern Finland. That car has a lot of hydraulics involved included suspension, clutch, steering and whatever. Since the air was rather dry I didn't notice the rather cold temperature unti our car started to become stiff. Stopped, inspected the poor thing and could not understand what was going on. The air was so dry that the -40 (Celcius) temperature was not that noticeable. There was also no wind. Realized the temperature first when the car didn't want to start. Luckily got rescued by another driver.

Back