What's new
What's new

My week this week, my workshop videos.

hermetic

Hot Rolled
Hi Chaps, many of you have suggested that I post all my videos in one thread, and I have decided to give it a go and see how it works out. From now on I will post in this thread every week, starting with these offerings. As usual some things go right, and some don't. You do have to be carefull with the Gopro as the tiny touch screen makes it really easy to touch the wrong button without noticing, hence there is a second slideshow of the pics I took when I thought I was shooting video. I think a second camera may be on the cards! Hope you enjoy these, and remember to like, comment, and subscribe! Thanks for watching!

Phil
East Yorkshire

YouTube
YouTube

Thank you, I think you are the first to do this and I think it is a great idea. Most just post when they have time, some like Ox have started a long remembrance. But a in real time log of your shop experiences hasnt been tried yet. Thanks for taking the time to share and we will see how it goes. If your work is like mine it will be lots of work, in-between fits of head scratching.

Charles

Absolutly right CBlair I have two sorts of jobs in my shop, paying ones that walk in the door, and my own projects, a lot of the paying work is interesting, as now I am supposed to be retired, I can be a bit more picky, but if I think ppl will be interested in watching it, and the client agrees, I will post some of that up too. Thanks for the comments, I log in every night , so if anyone wants to comment or discuss anything, I will be back to you quite quickly!
Phil
East Yorkshire
UK

Absolutly right CBlair I have two sorts of jobs in my shop, paying ones that walk in the door, and my own projects, a lot of the paying work is interesting, as now I am supposed to be retired, I can be a bit more picky, but if I think ppl will be interested in watching it, and the client agrees, I will post some of that up too. Thanks for the comments, I log in every night , so if anyone wants to comment or discuss anything, I will be back to you quite quickly!
Phil
East Yorkshire
UK

Well. nought to do with the WORK.. but as a bald-headed Old Sod, I should ENVY your ability to grow fuses... 'cos all the safety info, life-long, yer wearing both of fuses around fire and/or neck-breakers / fast-scalpers around even an ignorant bench-grinder.

Just sayin' lifestyle is yer own, but as a published example, it can be expected to make folks wonder how you survived long enough to grow them long?

B'lieve I'd cheat.

Have 'em made into a wig for pub-crawling, evenings out, Dena Lagu rape-and-pillage raid re-enactments - and work buzz-cut whilst at the forge!

You'd have to know "takin' the piss"? But then again, you did say EAST Yorkshire, so yah would, wuddn' yah?

:)

PS: Google only finds 27,500,000 hits for "soft Iron rivets". Not all of those ARE Iron, but enough are to class them as still a commodity item, UK included.

LOLS!! Thermite, I live in East Yorkshire now, but I was born in Pudsey, just outside Leeds in the west of this great county. As for the fuses, when I am working with rotating machinery, they go in a snood (the leg of an old pair of my daughters tights, watch out for it!), and down the back of my shirt/overalls or whatever, they have been on fire, but burn very slowly and the smell is so bad that you know immediately. I would cut them tomorrow, but the wife says I am not "me" without them! I do have enough spare to make a wig from previous 12" trims!

yes, plenty of rivets, but I could find no 7/32 rivets, and 3/16 x 1/2" rivets @ £100 a thousand made my eyes water, and I only needed 4. I was not happy with the heads on the forge made ones, as they are for holding the shovel blade to the shaft, and need some material over the thin sheet shovel blade to stop cracking, so I have turned some up in the lathe, and then matched them to the originals and annealed them, probably fit them tomorrow, if I get a minute! Might even do it hot!

Phil

.. Well .... BEFORE grant of full UK Citizenship, I had to submit a bit of backing for a 2-year work visa, C&W plc HQ, London.

The reviewer told me I was more British than easily HALF the current population.. as of 1993 or so, yet. I think "Patel" had just displaced "Taylor" as most common surname?

And "Patel" is NOT, actually a surname to begin with. Class of occupation in a caste-based environment, rather. May as well say "technically skilled person", be it a Pakistani Muslim Telecoms Network Engineer or the Hindu CFO, same firm in Westminster as explained to me why they were not even remotely related.

..the wife says I am not "me" without them!
It did seem as if they had been arranged for four-in-hand coaching competition, yes.

Four-poster bed, is it?

Or perhaps simply to insure none of her competitors nick you out from under her thumb to take THEIR kitchen garbage to the tip.

You'd have to ken wimmin' and property rights?

:D

yes, plenty of rivets, but I could find no 7/32 rivets, and 3/16 x 1/2" rivets @ £100 a thousand made my eyes water, and I only needed 4. I was not happy with the heads on the forge made ones, as they are for holding the shovel blade to the shaft, and need some material over the thin sheet shovel blade to stop cracking, so I have turned some up in the lathe, and then matched them to the originals and annealed them, probably fit them tomorrow, if I get a minute! Might even do it hot!

Phil

Ummh.. well. C'mon...yah does it hot - or even cold with ignorant IPS fence wire or steel wire nails that even an ignorant farm-boy-not-blacksmith knows how to selectively "upset" in stages? First to match the holes, THEN to lock, and of course one forms the faceted rose head. Unless you'd bought or made the goods to deliver nicely rounded ones?

No lathe involved. The spindle bearings go all wonky from the heat of the fire and the cinders bugger-up the screwcutting bits.

:D

Hi thermite, I am afraid the reviewer was winding you up, or all the Patels have upped and left, as it is not even in the top 25 surnames as of 2016 The 25 most common surnames in Britain - and what they say about your family history | The Independent. Patel is a very common moniker for traders, accountants and business men who hail from the Gujarat Area of India.

The middle part of your post leads me to believe that you have acess to some sort of long range camera drone, probably owned by C&W but used by employees during downtime for nefarious bedroom window peeking!!

Yes, I could have upset a 5" nail, six inch were too big, and 5" quite a lot too small, but as I had some 7/32" rod in the form of a pair of old battery clamps, I decided to just head it and be done. Lack of experience led me to you tube, which is how the first batch were made, and the heads are pretty pukka, and they would work, but the ones I turned out of 5/16" rod have exactly the right head size, and now they have been annealed, they really look the part! Didnt get to do the fitting today, other work arrived, Maybe tomorrow!

Phil.

Hi chaps! Not much time spent in the workshop this week, but managed to get a bit done, failures and succeses!¬ and as an added bonus, a car repair, you can't be without a heater this weather! Enjoy, and subscribe if you like it!
Phil
East Yorkshire.

YouTube

YouTube

Thanks for sharing, what is the reason for the H pattern on the exhaust?

Charles

It is a common pattern in the UK, usually known as an H pot, when fitted as a standard chimney pot, the idea is that rain cannot get down the flue, and blustery wind which changes from updraft to downdraft still causes vacuum in the chimney. the flue is not new, I made it for my cousins oil fire boiler quite a few years ago, and it gave good service till the whole installation was replaced with a new boiler and flue under the governments green deal. The new boiler lasted less than two years before the water jacket failed, and I replaced it with a much older one, which is still going strong! the flue was going to go for scrap, but I saved it at the last moment thinking that it could be used for the workshop. I have done more work today on the flue fan motor, which will be in next weeks video. Thanks for the comments, and thanks for watching.
Phil

Hi all, as usual, I didnt get s full week in the workshop this week, but fitted s new motor to the old fan housing, which is much more powerful, and very efficient, but I heed to modify the flue as well before I can tell if the problem is solved. It certainly works better than it did! Enjoy, like and comment , and as usual thanks to you all for taking an interest in my channel and thanks and welcome to all the new subscribers!
Phil
East Yorkshire

Video link
YouTube

My week this week, got a couple of useful days in, and some part days, built up the new flue, but will be fitting it next week weather permitting, tried out a bit of TIG cam, but I need to cover the back of the mask to prevent reflections, so will do some more soon. You really will learn absolutley nothing from my TIG "skills" save to say that I can make a fair job of steel, but find aluminium much harder, which, by all acounts, it is! Thanks for watching and subscribing, leave comments and any questions you may have (why are you such a T*aT) is not a valid question, and anyway, I don't know the answer!
Enjoy, subscribe, laugh!

Phil

YouTube

YouTube

wood fired shop heater part 2

Part 2 of the heater build and a couple of videos at the end of a walk in the rain with my daughter, including gratuitous squirrel content, and lots of roaring water! watch, subscribe, like and enjoy!

YouTube

Thanks Charles, it wasn't in constant manufacture, it started off as a proof of concept, and when it worked at stage 1 I knew that I had enough heat output, and if I made a batch firebox instead of the rocket style one, I could eliminate the smoke and duct the air round the workshop. It was built over a period of about 2-1/2 years and still requires mods to the flue, and some fine tuning, but it keeps the workshop wonderfully warm, and makes it as very pleasant place to be! Thanks for your comments
Phil
East Yorkshire.

Hi Guys, part 1 of my workshop rebuild slideshow, I will be putting more up in between videos, and I am back at the workshop from Monday, so expect a video next friday If I can get something interesting done. Monday I will be back out to fit new hoses to the showerpump, as the old ones were leaking, and then seeing if we can solve the other problems Thanks for watching, like, and subscribe of you want, but most of all Enjoy!
Phil
East Yorkshire.

YouTube

Just saw that, hate to chase tools that roll down that hill...but looks really nice from the street. Thanks for sharing.

Charles

Hi Charles, Langtoft, the village where my workshop is, is in a steep sided valley in the Yorkshire wolds, so everything slopes, and is built to the line of the landscape, rather than a spirit level. You may have noticed the curve on the roof tiles? This matches the curve on the building! There is no flat land in Langtoft, and to get an area big enough to build a house usually involved digging into a hill and using the spoil to create a level platform. The slope outside the front of the workshop is even steeper, and I have had at least two cars roll off down the slope, one of them dragging me with it!
Thanks for watching!
Phil

greenswindow 052.jpg

Back