The new shop, machines, and a few construction pictures included - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, in the end the mold project I was working on ended up working pretty good and was a good learning experience, end product looks nice. It was the first time I ran long programs without dry running above the part first as I usually do on my 1-10min programs, but 4+hr programs, no. Thankfully it all went well even if it took forever. It's hard when having to design the thing as you go(no drawings) and second guessing the whole way through.

Backlog is still low compared to usual but there's a few weeks on the books, pacing myself, enjoying time outside hunting and finished outdoor projects, got wood cut and split for next 3 years.

Tomorrow is our Federal Election up here, the results of that will decide a lot about what happens next for a lot of people and employers.

2. Likes Ox, CBlair, macds, jmp, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's been my experience that the programmers don't want to be on the floor. I have to push them to the floor to see issues they create.

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the results are in and the dumpster fire of this Post Nationalist State formerly known as Canada isn't over, and honestly I don't even care anymore, as I write this my blood pressure didn't go up 1 psi, and pulse stayed idle.

Part of me would really like to move to the USA as its clear the free-world is boiling down to only a few US states and I've looked at a few options for a while but there's lots of hurdles so that's probably years away still, if I can ever afford it with the loss I'd have to take on my property and this will get a lot worse soon. Running a bit low on energy and time to start over too. At least I'm in a good position to survive the progressive commies up here for now, the other 90% of the population, not so much.

I foresee a lot more fishing, hunting, and sitting with my feet up having a beer saying "I told you so" in my near future.

6. Likes Ox, david n, cnctoolcat, jmp, Rick Finsta and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I foresee a lot more fishing, hunting, and sitting with my feet up having a beer". That is good advise for everyone, be a lot less drama if folks would find the time for those things along with visiting on porches. A lot better than yelling at each other.

Have a great week, Charles.

8. Likes SND, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, after 3-4 slower than usual months things have picked up a bit, not gonna break any records but eh, luckier than most these days. Spending a bit of the slow time outside hunting was nice.

I was looking at a Canadian auction site last night, lots of places closing, some with fairly new machines, 5ax and such.
    Canada lost 71,200 jobs in November, 27,500 of those in manufacturing(imagine if the US lost 275,000 manufacturing jobs in 1 month as you're about 10x our size...). Probably quite a few of those were companies who said enough is enough time to pull the pin after the results of Octobers election. Customer who I made the big project for a few posts above just sold to a good US company, which is probably for the best, it was an opportunity to finally retire nobody could pass up(super #1 guy who worked hard all his life). Right now I'll get through Dec/Jan with what's on the books and see how next year goes, might be time to get new projects moving, a couple other customers are getting out of it/retiring too, not large accounts but work was work.

We had a little snow storm last week, not as much as what some of you saw in the US, my area got about 10" but it was so wet and heavy that about 10-20% of spruce and pines broke in half or at least lost 8-25' off their head, most being about 60-80' tall, so that'll be a couple days to clean up at spring time. One 15' or so head hit the corner of the roof of the shop but I don't think it did any damage real damage.
    Last edited by SND; 12-07-2019 at 02:29 PM.

10. Likes Ox, macds, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Well, after 3-4 slower than usual months things have picked up a bit, not gonna break any records but eh, luckier than most these days. Spending a bit of the slow time outside hunting was nice.

I was looking at a Canadian auction site last night, lots of places closing, some with fairly new machines, 5ax and such.
    Canada lost 71,200 jobs in November, 27,500 of those in manufacturing(imagine if the US lost 275,000 manufacturing jobs in 1 month as you're about 10x our size...). Probably quite a few of those were companies who said enough is enough time to pull the pin after the results of Octobers election. Customer who I made the big project for a few posts above just sold to a good US company, which is probably for the best, it was an opportunity to finally retire nobody could pass up(super #1 guy who worked hard all his life). Right now I'll get through Dec/Jan with what's on the books and see how next year goes, might be time to get new projects moving, a couple other customers are getting out of it/retiring too, not large accounts but work was work.

We had a little snow storm last week, not as much as what some of you saw in the US, my area got about 10" but it was so wet and heavy that about 10-20% of spruce and pines broke in half or at least lost 8-25' off their head, most being about 60-80' tall, so that'll be a couple days to clean up at spring time. One 15' or so head hit the corner of the roof of the shop but I don't think it did any damage real damage.
    At what point are we forced to become expats, and at what point will we be allowed to move freely into the US?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It'll be interesting to see how the next few years ago, its good to keep a few options open and to work toward plan B, C, D, E...
    It's a lot to consider and as we've seen, economies/optimism can change as quick as the next government, boom or bust in a day.
    Out of curiosity though I've been looking on USA realtor/property websites a bit for land down there. Comparing state taxes, demographics/work opportunity, the scenery(I like lakes and trees, some areas looks pretty bare) and learning more about all the types of visas and business opportunities. I'm not sure yet if the value of a shop/business can count toward an investment if moved, on an E-2, didn't get to the fine print yet. Lets call it plan D for now.

13. Likes Ox, cnctoolcat, DrHook, jmp liked this post