The new shop, machines, and a few construction pictures included - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Siding is fiber cement, about 12,000 2-3" stainless screws holding it on, it was quite a process drilling all of it, first I fully waterproofed with something similar to the blueskin used on the frostwall, but the other stuff was even sticker and harder to rip.

We don't get much snow where I am, usually we only get a few feet through a whole winter, used the snow blower twice last year, first time was only to try the thing out in 4", scared I wouldn't get the chance at all, caught a few rocks...
    I looked at metal roofing, wasn't interested in plated/painted steel type. So I checked into a couple types of aluminium roofing, price was beyond nuts. I found 1 company that made really awesome stainless steel roofing with patterns stamped in them that all clip together and nails are all hidden, really cool but chickened out of the idea of even getting a price on that(European?, lost the website since). So I went with good asphalt singles. I'll set up something next summer to be able to put a curtain of water over the whole house if anything happened. There's nozzles that do 20'x40' water curtains and they're pretty cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wonderfull job man

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good set up SND. Nice shop and house. If you are close to Edmonton and need shaping, feel free to send me PM.
    Look like you are in the prime fishing and hunting area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Very nice

Very nice house and shop! I've been in a lot of shops and there's few that I've seen that look that clean and organized. If you ever think about adding anymore Birmingham equipment let me know, we handle Birmingham and GMC.BIRMINGHAM

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be worried about not being up front with the insurance company, it'd be a shame paying for insurance and then have them not pay out because you neglected to inform them of the shop. Make no mistake, if your house burns down, the insurance company will be looking very closely and may even refuse to pay because of the shop, even if it wasn't the cause of the fire. My broker told me that some insurance companies will let you build a shop not less than 50 feet from the house, but most want to see 100 feet. If I had wanted a shop closer than that, I would have had to pay for the full insured value of the house at the much higher shop rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was upfront enough to point out the issue that if any fire did happen and it has to be covered even if I have machines in there that may earn some $, they did try to find out how much $ but I pointed out that is irrelevant as risk is based over time of use not $. In the end all is apparently fine, deal was machines are not insured if something does happen. I'm not really worried, unless it was arson or forest fire, but that would suck either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SND

That is just about the most idyllic building & setting that I have seen, your work & vision are without doubt a credit to you.
    Looking at your pics immediately brought to mind one of those days when something is frustrating you in the shop.....walk out of the shop door with fishing rod in hand across the lawn & spend a couple of hours drowning worms while the frustration dissipates.....wonderful

Others mentioned the underfloor heating which I have long fancied but is rarely practical as a retro fit, I stumbled across the following "new" idea that appears to be a good alternative & so far my inquiries have been met with positive reports. I am seriously considering installing it in our very old cottage next year if further research continues to prove positive.

ThermaSkirt Heating & Skirting Radiators - DiscreteHeat UK

regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default heaven

Hi,
    If there's fish in that there lake it must be heaven.
    I love every aspect of what you have done

Live long and prosper

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great place, the lake view is icing on the cake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

VERY NICE SND

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makes me real envious, living in smoggy, hot, dirty, over crowded Southern California. It would be nice to have that view outside my shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i like that readout on your mill a lot.. we're in need of a new one! nice shop man

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the comments. There is some fish in the lake but I've had almost no time to really enjoy any of it yet.

The Acu-Rite Dro's are really good for the mills, and very nice easy to install scales with back up spars. It's awesome to install the spars once and you can remove the scale +head in a couple of minutes if needed and reset it back in place without dialing it again, or move it further along the spar for travel adjustment when needed. Also less chances of damage than having to locate a scale itself to drill the right holes.
    DRO functions /buttons are pretty good for a mill, USA made and great support. But on lathes I prefer my older Heidenhains, the newer set up of heidenhain/acu-rite for lathes just doesn't work for me, not fast enough and too easy to hit the wrong button, as its the same button layout as mills, but with a lathe program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Beautiful home and shop. My wife really likes the stained concrete floor. Sweet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just realized that I never put this old pic on here from when it came in in 2011... also had the spot for where the next shop/garage is going leveled a couple years ago and then other stuff happened, probably gonna see about making it a little bigger, its for 25x30 2 level now, just depends on building permits/requirement and such if I can go a bit bigger. Got it pretty well figured about the shape. Hoping to start on it this spring time, work's been good lately and with health improving I'm finally getting back into a more positive/moving forward mode. Had kinda lost focus for a while.

16. Likes wrustle, allloutmx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK - so what the heck is that?

First what?

I can tell it's got a Fanuc, but that's about it...

Must be the First (large capacity) 3D printer sold in K-bec?

I'm sure that it's a mill, but it looks awfull square. ???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, where are you located? Your are in Quebec?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's pretty much the same thing as the Sharp 2412 they've been selling in the US(maybe a few slightly different options), in Canada we can buy most taiwan brands under the original builders name instead of rebranded. It's been a great little machine for my needs, darn glad I didn't get a bigger mill like I was gonna at first, hasn't run a whole lot but when it does I'm glad I have it. I just need a turning center a lot more than I need a mill, so I need to make room soon. Manual machines will stay where they are. Cnc will get moved somehow, material and some other stuff too, also want space for welding larger frames and such, no room right now. Compressor is stuck behind the cnc inches from the door. 2nd level of the next shop is gonna be wood working and some other projects. There's now a house about 80' behind where that garage is gonna be, so it'll block most of that, great guy though.

20. Likes Laurentian, Jbcrd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a nice shop/house/location!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably time for an update on the new projects of the past few months.
    Pretty much after 3yrs of feeling like crap and getting that sorted, this year I finally had some energy and motivation to build a little more space, started in July(late...) I picked at it in between jobs.
    So first thing is I needed a bigger spot, got the excavator back in and hammered as much as we could out of that corner.

Then put down a fairly solid footing and started playing lego's(ICF). The lowest spot of the footing once poured was 1/4" off... most of it was withing 1/8" from back center with a transit...almost went insane...

Once done playing Lego's it was time to put the floor for the 2nd level on. A friend/neighbor helped me get the LVL on the front/back walls in place and a few of the floor joists started. Then I made a quick hoist and used my Pullzall to lift the joists up and drop them in place. I made a puller to make sure they were pulled tight to the walls as the concrete wasn't in the walls yet. I put the whole floor system on, temporary plywood around to walk on, straightened everything, then poured the concrete in. It's a neat way of doing it instead of using bracing.

Then figured I'd need a roof on it. It was getting into the fall and really debated tarping it all over until spring time. Framed the 2nd level with the 2x10's that had been used to make the footing forms(with a sealing agent first and washed after).
    Used the gantry I had made a few years ago to move/assemble my machines in order to lift and wheel the roof trusses into place, worked pretty slick. I ended up with 7'6" on the 2nd level.
    10' ceiling in the shop.

This is close to what it is now, except with 3' of snow all around and temporary stairs. The inside is all insulated, drywalled, upstairs painted. Still crack filling the lower level, haven't had much time the last couple months, gotta make parts sometimes eh... so when the snow is gone I'll do the siding, heat pump/air conditioning, finish a bit of electrical and do a proper set up permanent stairs. Really thinking about doing a stainless structure, maybe wood decking, or all stainless... I already put stainless anchors through the concrete to bolt it all onto.

I figured my BTU losses thanks to it only being heated with resistive electric right now. If I keep it at 68F inside when its -0F outside, 10,000btu/hr (about 3kw), so a heat pump and a few machines in there will keep warm easily. It's all piped for infloor heat but I don't plan to hook it up.
    It's not very big for big enough for my needs, about 2x more space that I have right now, not counting that can be done with the 2nd. Now it'll be mostly a studio, and packaging area if another project gets going(time eh..)

23. Likes cnctoolcat, RC Mech, david n liked this post