The new shop, machines, and a few construction pictures included - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended up renting a 3.5ton mini excavator for backfilling all around, man that was fun, time goes by some quick playing with those things.
    I'll post some inside pics when its all done. I won't paint the shop until I can open the doors and ventilate it good, the 2nd still smells deadly.
    Decided to polish the slab, it came out pretty good for my first time trying that, I've decided to paint it though so I'll likely shot blast it or something before painting.

I also had the idea to put a stud (3/4" hole in it I think )with bottom plate in the slab near the back so I can tie a chain and use it to pull machines in with a come along type thing.

It's a bit depressing how much is costs to build solid these days, it would have paid a nice turning center...I can just imagine if I had to hire people to build it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since you already have a shophouse*, what is the purpose of this upstairs?

*Way nicer than 90% of the rest of us live in...

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

3. Likes RC Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 2nd will mostly be an art/crafts studio, maybe some packaging materials, might move my reloading stuff up there too. I wanted to use as much of the space as I could, having a fairly useful 2nd level seemed worth the extra cost.
    I'm not sure yet if I'll keep some machines in the house shop. It appears to make no real difference on house insurance cost, I still have to see on the business insurance side. I enjoy the way I have my cyclematic and lagun mill set up now, so that might all stay and the kingston too maybe. CNC and compressor and welding(mostly tig anyhow) are definitely going out. I only have 200amp 1ph on the new shop, its enough for all my normal stuff but I could see a turning center eating a good chunk of that quickly, so perhaps I'd have to move that in the house shop when the day comes since it has 400amp. Time will tell.

I needed more space for welding bigger things(frames, etc), so I want to keep enough area in the new shop to do some and take some other toys that have been hiding in their boxes and not getting enough use(plasma cutter and such) really hoping to find a little little tool/cutter grinder for some personal projects but they're pretty rare it seems. There's a few other potential projects and new customers where depending on how things go more shop space could turn out quite useful for more machines, but 2-3 things at a time is enough for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been searching a bit for pictures of stuff I made I could post but there's not a lot I'd be allowed to put on here, which kinda sucks as there's a lot of neat stuff and tooling assemblies that all had to be within a few tenths and stuff. So I'll mostly post a few of stuff I do for myself when I have time in between customers projects. Some of these I may have posted eslewhere before on here.
    Hopefully I'll have time later this year to work a bit more on my own shop related stuff.

Anyhow, had a few parts to make with a special feature, figured broaching it on the mill was gonna work ok for the proto's. So I made a manual indexer with the exact number of spacings.

This here was just to put more round parts up on the mills in one go. Once I get a turning center that whole part will be done on that instead of milled.

Everybody needs a shiny match rifle. I make the stock, chambered it (308win) made the bipod, the coaxial rest a bit behind it and the table it all sits on with the stainless welded frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might as well put this here.
    There's a type of shafts I make that usually has a fair bit of stress in the material(17-4). So when I rough it I don't want a center drilled hole until its ready for finishing.
    So I just use a little pad(usually brass, that was just one I had in acetal at the time, worked either way) it still loads up the end of it and takes the chatter out, without needing a center hole yet.
    Can't take quite as much a bite as if it had a real center in the part but 1 more cut isn't the end of the world. After roughing they otherwise can whip as much at .020".
    I let the pressure off a few times for the last couple roughing cuts to it goes where it wants to go without restraint. Then it gets milled, then goes for 2nd stage roughing(takes only another .010" per side) then finishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couple fire hydrants for home, I can cover the whole 3.3acres, some underground rigid lines go to these, some areas I go overground with regular 1.5" firehose.
    150psi firepump at the lake when needed, I can run 2-3 nozzles off of it without problem even 700' away. Doing it again I'd do the main lines with 2" though.

8. Likes DrHook, t.jones, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some small part set up for mill work, part is the stainless thing pinned to the brass thing holding it. Had to make my own footrest of course.

Some bronze parts, looks simple but tolerances were .0001 pretty near all over, they took a while and many steps due to material stresses.

and some 316 pipe couplings, has an oring groove on the other side, easy fun stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see your lathe tool there....

Are you familiar with the #30 holder?

Aloris Tools

IMO that toolholder is the best thing since sliced bread for the manual lathe!

I bought a second head for it as well many yrs ago when I needed a bigger corner rad. Sedom ever used since getting CNC <20 yrs ago, but that holder is used constantly! Flip it in and tighten it down above C/L and you can chamfer bore ID's as well.

Just extremely versatile and fast.

edit: Looks like they have added some fancier counterparts to the line since then as well.

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

11. Likes SND, Big B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw that tool before in catalogs but never tried one, I can see how it could be fairly versatile.

I don't normally use that tool in the pic to rough those, that was probably from the first time I did them a few years ago I think. I normally use a TCMT in 1125 grade, breaks a better chip and lasts hours on 1tip.
    Heavier roughing I have a regular CNMG 432 I'll put in but its not too often, lots of what I do is still fairly small low qty stuff.
    I always have another holder preset for 45 ° chamfers, I just have a dozen holders on that CA toolpost, most are kept always set and numbered in the DRO. I'll get a few more eventually, right now the tool cart for it is full.
    Hopefully sooner than later a turning center will be able to do some of that stuff for me. There's just not a lot of quantity turning work in what I do, and some of it I have no idea how I'd tackle cnc anyhow.

I'll have a major cleaning and sorting job to do when I move some things over.
    I started buying some nice metal shelves to sort some of it out(half price, couldn't pass it up).
    I don't want anything other than machines on the floor in the new shop.
    Any table/cart or such will be reachable under to sweep chips. No material on the floor or such, that's the game plan anyway, tired to trip over stuff all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About as big my any turning work I do gets, and that's pretty rare.
    316ss.

Last edited by SND; 03-10-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One bit of a proto project from a few years ago. Clearances got a little tight in a few areas with a few tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tired to trip over stuff all the time.
    AND HOW!

If you have a dozen holders and they are already in your DRO, then that holder wouldn't help much if at all.
    That one holder IS our turning tool on the engine lathe.
    A cpl more holders for boring bars and cut-off. Only have 4 holders total for ours.

THAT is VERY impressive manual work! (that did come off the lathe eh?)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, yes, just off the manual lathe. I normally do a smaller (3") version of it in hastelloy, inco and some 316. This bigger one I did as a 1 off rush, usually the higher quantities are done by a cnc shop I deal with on other stuff. Most dims on it are +/-.001 even the groove, the spigot thing in the middle is more open. It's not fun at all trying to do bigger rads with manual lathes. I made something to do OD rads before, but ID's are still a bit of a pain.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice work!

What kind of tooling does your knee mill take. Looks like a BT tool in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She's got an NMTB-40 but I made some pull studs that allow me to also use the same BT-40's that I use in the VMC. BT tooling is a fair bit cheaper and so many more options.
    It's also able to take Erickson holders but I don't have any of those, I mainly use the threaded ring on it in order to lock the spindle when I need to broach manually.
    It's too bad I can't put any pictures of the really fun stuff, digging through the old pics I found quite a few things I don't even remember making at all.
    A few weeks ago I saw some units I make a few parts for on that mighty ship show, that was kinda fun even if its a very tiny thing out of the whole build.

19. Likes Edster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since we've been checking out each others snow...
    It's not often we get this much and that it stays where I live now(had none until the end of jan), not enough most years to justify a skidoo
    Sure wish I could cause its some boring outside here without ski centers or any fun activities. Pretty much shovel a few times and hide in the shop for 5-6 months.

21. Likes cnctoolcat, dsquire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well crap, we got about 10" of snow on Sunday, took me 4hrs of shoveling + 2 hours of my neighbor helping with his ATV just to make a path for the car, and we got another 12"+ coming tonight...
    Everybody is out of place to put the darn stuff and there's 2-3" of ice under it so no grip for pushing.
    I don't see how we'll be shooting any matches in May the way this is going...

More pics to come eh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's some righteous powder eh.

What kind of crafty squirrels have you got that require 6 bottles to deter them?

24. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The squirrels are just horrible, sure wish I had their energy.
    Had to remove the feeders as they had figured out that the snow was now high enough they could just jump from the ground and forget the bottles.
    So far the bottles work really good though when they can't reach from the ground. Some make it past the 2nd one but the 3rd usually gets them.

This is what they did to last years feeder, well it lasted 2 years I think, tried a bunch of things and they kept finding ways around it.
    I tried to put some little sheet metal pieces to keep them from chewing it and get a little more life out of that feeder but they quickly managed to get a few off.
    One of them last summer ate through the screen and got in the shop, twice, turns out it was not a good career choice....

26. Likes dsquire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might as well put this little thing here, closer to the size of work I usually do(except usually its stainless) not much plastic these days, it wasn't deburred yet in that pic.
    It's on a canadian 10cents which are about 18mm, a bit smaller than a US penny I guess.

28. Likes Edster, cnctoolcat liked this post