Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you can't get the paint to be an exact match, you're better off going an entirely different colour. Nothing worse than having something close to the same colour, but just off enough that people can tell!

2. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, I found a siding color close enough, its a regular product, not "custom color" this time..., but in that semi-transparent color it still adds another $5k vs a basic solid base... I don't feel like spending 13K just for the materials to finish the exterior(its cutting into the future machines purchase), was hoping for half that. So 3 months into this search and we're back to zero again. Gonna have to look at regular wood, or, who knows, its driving me nuts though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, after a few months of circling and trying to find something for siding. Finally settled/ordered something, the most time consuming option but only one that will match the house. Gonna use primed fiber cement board, and paint/stain and install it all ourselves, takes 2 light base coats in one solid color and 2 more light coats in a semi-transparent, had to order about 20 things before finding the right product to use/colors, no other sidings were close, looked at just about everything. This is a pic of a sample I did, just gotta do another 1900sq/ft of it. I just hope everything I now ordered comes as what it should be, should have it done by Christmas eh...
    Oh and we now have lights in the new building, just a few small things to finish and get it inspected.
    I definitely don't see moving much in there this year at this pace, plus the madness of work that is supposed to be coming in at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

forgive me if i am being a jerk - but are you certain of how that will hold up in your weather?
    my house near seattle was at one point shingled with a similar sounding material which fell apart in a few years
    that vendor went bankrupt so you will not be stuck with the same thing
    your paint/stain treatment looks very good to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had fiber cement on the house 6yrs so far, looks as good or better than day one(it was a bit dusty after install but it all washed off), at the time we had it custom stained by some place that no longer exists, we never knew what products they used, etc, real PITA. I don't know for sure if this other type of paint/stain will do as good but it is made for fiber cement. I did some tests on it so far and it appeared to do quite alright with only 1-2 days of curing. I assume once its outside and gets a few weeks of sun to really cure it'll be pretty good. I've heard and read of many, many issues with fiber cement, lots of lawsuits, hardie stuff isn't even sold in my area anymore, this is the certainteed/allura brand, they got sued too but at least its still available.

Other products I looked at that could at least look ok without going to vinyl were canexel, smartside stuff, metal siding, but I wasn't sure of those either and my installation requires drilling and screwing everything with stainless and I know how well that worked with fiber cement, so I'll just do the exact same process this time, same PVC corners and all. It's as close to matching as it'll come, lots of work though. I couldn't bring myself to put vinyl or anything that really didn't match.

With all the products I checked into, most issues are usually due to install problems, and the occasional bad batch/lot, which is always a bit scary.
    Last edited by SND; 07-25-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, the siding is all done as of 2 weeks ago, got the LG 18,000btu heat pump installed as well. Been very busy making parts 6-7 days a week so not much time to put to the new building, just an hour here and there when I need a break. Started painting the floor, will put the metal trims around the bottom of the walls this weekend maybe.
    Also picked up the snowblower today, honda HSS928, starting this year they are made in the USA, with many upgrades vs the previous Japan made models. Has steering which is a big plus, and big reason why I picked it over the yamaha.
    Just gotta hope for as much snow as last year

8. Likes Edster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everything Honda makes is good shit. Congrats!

10. Likes SND, Philabuster, TFPace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that made in Ohio too?

That certainly is an interesting - and very valuable design!
    Not sure I ever seen a "crawler" before.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Crawler snow blowers have been out for a few years. New used one, I have a tractor mounted blower, but people that use them tell me they are the cat's meow.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Is that made in Ohio too?

That certainly is an interesting - and very valuable design!
    Not sure I ever seen a "crawler" before.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    They're made at the Swepsonville, NC plant. Its their first year coming out of there, but I guess that plant has been there many years making other honda stuff.

We've had some tracked units since the 80's or so around here, though most do buy the wheel models. Nice thing with tracks on this one is the auger is infinitely height adjustable on a swivel/gas cylinder in the back so it can be set to cut a few inches high down to setting it to dig in hard. No need to push handles up/down like a wheeled unit. I needed tracks for around here, the unit I was borrowing had wheels and I was pushing it more than it was pulling itself.

I'll get a few pics of the inside of the shop once the floor painting/trims are done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, not many new pics, not much for pics of any new fun projects either.
    Did manage to get all the siding on the new garage/shop before the snow came and it ended up looking pretty awesome, matches the house siding perfectly.
    It was a lot of work though, every piece(about 300 of them) of fiber cement got 4 coats of paint, 2 base, 2 finish in a darker color.
    Set up 3 tables to do 15 planks at a time, all had to be hand brushed flat at the right temperature to get the proper wood effect. Ended up making a couple simple plastic hooks as I had nobody to help out for installing the siding, kinda picked at it in between other work in the shop and as it was dry ready to install.
    All that is left is making a outside set of proper stairs for the 2nd level and doing the window/door trims on the 2nd and flooring someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once the inside of the new shop was finished, floor painted, metal trims to finish the bottom of the walls and such, this happened...
    Had about 40+ friends/neighbors over for a Christmas party, music and all, great time.
    I got 2 of those big snap on shelves from costco at 1/2 price, great buy.
    Now its all back to just being a garage, been parking the car and blower in there for this winter.

Snowblower is working awesome, spent 3.5hrs with it yesterday to do mine and a couple other neighbors driveways. Tracks work great, kinda wish it had the honda Gx390 on it but the 270cc manages surprisingly well. I will make 1 modification later this year, the impeller housing is just 16gauge and the amount of rocks around here will beat it up quick I think, so I'll add a piece of 1/8" steel or something in there, or maybe plastic.

16. Likes david n, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to keep on the machining track...
    I don't often have to do stuff in between centers quite like that but I always hated regular cast lathe dogs with the screw.
    So I just use one of these and bore a couple piece of 1/2x1" AL to the size of what I need to hold, keeps from marking it when its a tight tolerance finished surface. Easier than trying to put shims in and other crap that always ends up moving around at some point.

18. Likes rustytool, cnctoolcat, Ox, Antarctica liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta say the heat pump is working fantastic so far and doesn't seem to take much power. I'll see the exact number of the next bill, though it hasn't been cold yet this year, couple days at -10C, rest is mostly hanging around zero.
    I wish I had thought to put one for the main area of the house when I built, or at least wire for it for future need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like the soffit lighting. It makes the building look really classy. I wish I had put some on my house, but it's kind of late now due to the great difficulty of fishing wires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    I really like the soffit lighting. It makes the building look really classy. I wish I had put some on my house, but it's kind of late now due to the great difficulty of fishing wires.
    Run the wiring in the soffit or use wire mold/conduit for surface wiring.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, finally got my final inspection done on the new building so I'll have to try to start moving a few things before the snow comes. I can't unplug anything for at least the next 2 months due to lots of work booked but at least its motivating and things are slowly moving forward. I still haven't even figured where anything is gonna go in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well - that's about the first positive words that I have heard from you regarding werkload in a long time.

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

24. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well - that's about the first positive words that I have heard from you regarding werkload in a long time.

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!
    Yeah, its a busier year than I expected it would be and a rare time where I've been booked 2-3months ahead all year so far. Though I didn't mention the part where I turned away about 80K in cnc turning work so far this year due to not having one. I'd love to be able to get one now and have it be the first machine going in there but this new building and a few other little things tied up $ and poor dollar exchange/Canadain prices aren't helping. So, fingers crossed for next year I guess.

26. Likes Edster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I decided I'll give the used market a closer look than I have before, something in half decent shape for 10-20k would be kinda great to practice my crashing skills on, even if I have to do a little maintenance on it to get a few years out of it. Started checking a bit online as to who even sells used cnc's in Canada, doesn't seem to be a lot yet. Really should have bought that new lynx220la 5yrs ago, would have been a lot more useful than my cnc mill this far.

28. Likes ManualEd liked this post