What's new
What's new

New VM1

Nice machine,how do you like it I was thinking about getting one,still undecided if I can find enough low volume production work for it.Are you in your garage or do you rent space.

We rent about 2,500 sq. ft. This is our 2nd hurco and I like them.I have owned Haas machines as well and have a bridgeport ez trak and a mazak QT-10 along with the other stuff.

IMHO, Fadal isn't keeping pace with the other machine tool builders. Say what you will about Haas, but they keep pushing forward technology wise. Factors that made me pick the Hurco are,

- 26"X travel vs. machine footprint size. (we run a part that is 24" long) On a Haas we'd be looking at a VF-2.

- Side mount toolchanger. I will never buy a umbrella syle machine again. This "option" makes a VF-2 pricey.

- I like the control.

Wow,
A Hurco. I didn't think anyone would buy one other than me. Good luck with it. I have had excellent results with mine (VMX24). Where is Milton? Sounds familiar. Is it around the Toronto area? I used to regularly do source inspection at a company on the outskirts of Toronto back in the early 90's. Always had fun in that city. Very nice Country you have there. One of the nicest places I have ever been.

As for the Hurco, I added the Ultinet card and now the machine hard drive is a folder on the PC at my desk. Very cool working with files this way. You get all the benefits of windows and the machine doesn't see any difference. I use Surfcam for most everything now. Using the control like this makes it as powerful as anything out there, even more so cause we all got the interrupt button. ;)

Milton is 20 minutes west of the Toronto airport.I didn't buy the Ultinet, but I might consider it down the road. We just got Mastercam at the same time so we are tryng to figure that out. I wish it was warmer here.

No wonder it sounds familiar. I am pretty sure I have been there. Mag-tron and Dev-tec were the companies I used to go to. Love that Younge street. Never been to the Landing Strip :cool: But I did stay at the Holiday Inn by the airport.

We program with Surfcam and lately have been running programs 368,000 blocks long 3D mold type parts. 12 hour cycle times, machine has not missed a beat and I am now comfortable with going home while it runs.

You have a nice summer season up there. I hope to get up there again and show my wife what a cool place Canada is. Montréal is another city I have been to in Canada. What a party. I got there on Quebec day and the next day was Canada day and I got to see much of the city.

The landing strip is not to be missed if you ever visit.(leave the wife at the hotel)Right next to the brewery. scarcely a better or worse combination, depending on who you are with.

Its good to hear that Hurco's are still around. I used to run 2 of their MB2 with a Ultimax control back in the real early 80's. The machines were sweet when they were running but we used to go through about $3,000/month in drive boards. After that I went into another area of the company that used anything but Hurco so I lost track of them.
Keep makin chips
Jeff

Back