What's new
What's new

Old Biker's shop

Just in case anyone missed these, be sure to check out some of the work..... it is great.... like the geometric chuck and especially the model of the Pittler lathe.... please tell us more about these and thanks for posting them.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I have added a couple more pics of my machinery including the Boley mill, and upped the resolution on the original w/shop pics. You may notice a bent motorcycle wheel hanging up - a reminder to take notice of the 'falling rocks' signs in the Spanish mountains a couple of years ago (This years reminder of motorcycling in the Spanish mountains is a broken leg but that is another story !)
Not much more to say about the geometric chuck, apart from maybe one day adding 1 ot 2 more parts to it, although with all thew other things I would like to do, life is probably too short !.
The Pittler model was fun to make, I was looking after a full size machine and thought it would make a nice model. It is fully working model, the only incorrect movement is the cross slide screw, I did'nt have (and rather not make) a left hand 8 BA tap & die so the handle turns the wrong way. The headstock, tailstock & other castings on the original were filed up from mild steel. The pedestal is made from two pieces, a shrink fit together & hand turned to the correct profile. The tray was machined from a piece of 5/16" plate (mill & rotary burrs) with the runners for the drawer screwed underneath.
Like most of my projects, this one is not quite finished, the leadscrew tumbler lever has still to be made as is a chuck. Will add some detail pics. when I can drag my leg cast out to the workshop. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/workshop/workshop.html

Hey Hey a fellow Fritz Werner owner.
now there are three of us lol

Sewing,Patchwork,Embroidery..come-on....some roughy tuffy biker you are

Anyhows your work looks very interesting ..........I take it that geo chuck is for "Horny mental" turning..is it not.

Looking forward to more pics
all the best........mark

Sir you do some fantastic work. The gear cutting on the geometric lathe looks great. Personally I would love to set a setup shot or two of the gears being cut on the shaper. BTW, your shop is a thing of beauty, love it.

Hi Mr Kilroy
I have added a description & a couple of images of the shaper gear generating method.
Go to the geometric chuck page, there is a link from there (I tried adding a link here but it went pear-shaped

Mark

Thank you very much for posting those photos of the gear cutting setup. Since the gear indexes with the auto-feed, do you make a complete pass before increasing the depth of cut? That is a neat setup.

Yes - I cut the gears in two passes, first to nearly full depth, then a final cleanup cut of a few thou.. As the author of the article points out, real accuracy is not that important as long as all the gears that will run together are cut to the same tolerances. The proceedure might appear a bit tedious but with being able to cut a batch at the same time it was not too bad. The only gear on the chuck not cut using this method was the largest which I happened to have the correct circular cutter for, even if it was at the limits of what you can do on a Myford ML7 !. The same applied to the foundation plate which I just managed to turn to the correct size by scraping about 35 thou. of paint from the Myford bed gap.
Mark

Back