Ox's Shop '08 - Page 46
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: Ox's Shop '08

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wouldn't this be right up your alley Ox?

capture.jpg

In OH for $3500. They didn't give any details though.

2. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.johndeerefurrow.com/2018/06/04/let-it-rain/

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    https://www.johndeerefurrow.com/2018/06/04/let-it-rain/

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I dunno, this years harvest, the tracked combine got stuck....

And I'm up on a hill with plenty of hillside to drain off.

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just painted the bottom since we let it git all rusted up, so cleaned and painted....
    Originally I wouldn't had done it.
    Never have before.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    If it is anything like I have painted in contact with coolant it won't stay painted long.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, let me call it "the underside" in stead of the bottom.....
    It's not where coolant and oil will be.

???

Got the floor all cleaned up like a boss today, got the pan under her, and the chip conveyor/coolant tank roughly in position. Bertha is still 18" in the air yet. Prolly be early/mid next week before we get her down and ready to rumble aggin.

I hate to say this out loud (?) but this has really all went better than expected.
    [so far]

Wheelie, the only lathe I got that small is a Swiss.
    Those 42's just aint got much elbow room.
    I like my 51 and 65...
    Out here in the corn fields, we kind'a like a little open room....

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

8. Likes david n, SND, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheelie, the only lathe I got that small is a Swiss.
    Those 42's just aint got much elbow room.
    I like my 51 and 65...
    Out here in the corn fields, we kind'a like a little open room....

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    xlation..."Corn fed sausage fingers".....

10. Likes ARB, wheelieking71, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If yer lookin' to replace a CHNC, that CQ42 is the bee knees at $3500. Not that I would know anything about those things

12. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What you are looking at:

Rusty steel bar standing in the corner – looking up - outside the back door of my shop.
    Note the ice cycles (sp?) dripping above it.
    Now see where the water had ran down the bar and froze along the way.
    Then the bar warmed up and the ice pulled away and re-froze on a curve.
    There is a nice concave radius on the inside of the ice that matches the bar.
    Ice is 6 feet long.

-------------------

Pistons Keep on Reciprocating, and the Wheels go Round and Round
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit of an update and newsed iron post:

Bertha is up and running (currently) and while I said that all was going so well previously, we did experience a bit of a set-back right as completing.

We had it about all buttoned up after a long day. Had already gotten the spindle to turn, both axi's moved, life was good. But there is a lot of sheetmetal to be put back on and buttoned up. Just as we were finishing up the last pc, the light went out.

Error read "Spindle Fault".

After chasing around with the Fluke, I found 2 lines that were pulling down and blowing the 120V fuse.
    One went to the spindle drive, and the other went to ... well, I didn't really know what it was, but it seemed fried.

We found that even tho there was 3 of us lowering Bertha down off the stilts, no-one was watching the liquitite lines, and a big one got pinched.
    We got it dug out and cut the deformed conduit away, but that wouldn't clear the spindle drive alarm.

I was already planning on running parts on her all night to git a hot job out, and here she won't run.
    NOW WHAT!?

The part was 18.25 OD, and before loading it up on the truck, I decided to just check the engine lathe - just fer grins....
    Yep, it'll clear by an 1/8"!
    So I started at about midnight on the parts, and I finished up the second one (last one) at 3:30 the next afternoon.
    After working on Bertha all day, and the engine lathe all night, I was so sore when I got home that next night that I just about coodn't move!

My techie came in the next day to look at the spindle drive, and coodn't find anything wrong with it. He decided that the "continuity ring" that I was getting on my meter was not a dead short, but it showed a resistance that was in accordance with a small transformer that is inside the drive unit it'self. So we put that back together, and - with the wire for the other "dead short" unhooked - we tried it, and lo and behold, off she went! No alarm, and the spindle turns!

Now - back to this other thing ...
    Turns out that when we slid the last piece in place, that it hooked the brake wire for the Z axis servo motor, and that's what took the fuse.
    It's a whopping $10 item!

Turns out that the pinched liquitite line was NOT at fault at all, but I suspect that it would have been as it appeared that one of the field warrs was bared, and maybe the other item blowing the fuse actually saved the drive?

So now Bertha is running, the pan is filling up, and the floor is dry.

Here is the brake part that died:

As for "newsed" iron:

I don't think that I have posted pics here before about this one, but when we got the big mill and lathes in, we needed to make some room, and the big (and very old and wore out) continuous flow chip spinner that we had got moved out since we really weren't using it much anymore since most all of our oil-slinger work had went to China. Some of it was sold, and some scrapped.

But we still needed to be able to spin chips on occassion, so I picked up a cpl of batch wringers. The one in the pic is a 48" Tolhurst, and we also have a 40" "Center Slung" Tolhurst as well. Never mind the robot, he got a new job some time ago....

And one more pc:

This one from late December back in 2007*. We had been running a family of rods on one of our bigger lathes, and it was looking like they were gunna have us start running the bigger qty jobs as well. We had recently gotten the Tornos in, and felt that it would be better suited for the higher volume of these parts, but one issue would be that the Tornos runs in oil, and previously we was able to just wipe off the coolant from the parts and stack in crates. But now we would need to worsh the oil off of them.

We already had 3 worshers, but none of them fit this job well. I was looking for a belt type worsher. I posted a WTB on this forum and I found one in West (by gosh) Virginia. The dealer was in the shadow a that big race track where the hillbillies go round and round on the weekends. (THAT'S A BIG PLACE!)

The unit was brand new, but had never been installed. In stead it had lived it's life in storage, and was slowly cannibalized for parts to support 2 or 3 other siblings. So I scurried it on home, only to find that the customer decided to send the work to China at the last minute. (story of my life since 2001!) So, to date it still has not been put back into service yet, and has never been filled with wash water ever.

We have a job that we are all tooled up for, that I thought that we might get this worsher out for, but this customer isn't off to a good start, so ....

It is a Stoelting Versa-Force.
    All stainless.
    Has sepparate worsh and dry bays.

That pic was taken in the storage area at the time to show the light bulb setting on top of the worsher. It is called the miracle event, as from this next pic, you can see that that bulb fell from a broken light fixture above it, and fell down on the worsher without breaking!

???

------------------

Late December Back in '63
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 01-23-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's all the pics from this weekends trip to The Great White North.
    Leaving this afternoon and getting back O'Dark:30 Sunday night.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, as some of you may recall, 2-3 years ago we had to redoo the motor in our 8K Hyster.
    The head was all fresh, and I put in new bearings and seals, and had to shim the rear main thrust bearing by truing up the surface in the mill and making a shim to slip in there.
    Pistons were never pulled.

It ran great!
    However - 3-4 years ago the harmonic balancer had died. The rubber in the middle had finally had enough and the unit simply came apart. So I replaced it....

Well, after the big motor job a year later, apparently I did not install the balancer correctly.

The crank was not drilled for a bolt. This was new to me.
    ???

But there is a jack shaft that bolts on the end of the balancer to power the fan on the back side of the rad.
    I had tonked the balancer on far enough for the first V groove in te balancer to line up with the alt/water pump. Then the jackshaft seemed to bolt on fine at that point. I wasn't sure just how that all worked, but I ass_u_med that the jackshaft must limit the distance that the balancer can move, and simply didn't question it any further.

Well, 6 months to a year later, the balancer fell off the end of the crank!
    Crickie!

I called my motor guy and asked him about it, and mentioned that it didn't have a bolt. He tells me "It's the same as small journal motors, they don't have a bolt either. You just beat them on."

Say what?

"I've got a few small journal cranks down in the old shop. I'm gunna go look at those!"

Well, those didn't have a tapped crank either! I've taken S/J's apart - many years ago, but I don't recall ever puting one together, so ....

The punchline here is that the end of the crank is buggered as well as the balancer is wollard.

Well, after the last go around - I realized that 250-6's just aint all that available anymore. At that time I got the last set of -.030/-.030 bearings in The States. (supposedly)
    Not sure what to think about that? Oodles of std/std bearings available for a motor that hasn't been built since 84/85 for industrial apps (like this) and not likely been put in a car since the Deuce? (well, maybe a little since then?) Yet -.030's are no-where to be found?

The motor ran fine, but had no water pump or alt, and no balancer to seal the front of the timing [gear] cover, but it never seems to leak oil out the front, and the others were semi manageable. BUT - winter sucks with this as - with no water pump, there is no warm coolant going to the LP evaporator, and thus - we end up freezing it up, or at least not getting good fuel to the carb, and end up with stinky exhaust and a headache if ran much indoors.

Worst is that I need to switch out some big Acme's. Move out a 2" and move in a 3.5". (25,000 and 35,000#) and the warehouse is a 1/2 mile away. It would take several hours of "go 'till it dies and leave sit" to get it from here to there while dealing with the evaporator freezing up. So it was high time....

I had a core out for rebuild for some time, and finally got it installed and running as of last night. It's still a 250-6, but a tall deck 427 or a 409 (348) would seem a magnitude cooler.... Maybe next time?

Did actually make it out of here for a few days last weekend. I think that is the first time I've been out of here for more than a day in a year and a half?
    Laid in this 4' deep trench in a turn-around outside of Wawa the other night - and did NOT get stuck!

Got a new hold-over Summit 165 with 3" track. I was not able to get it stuck all weekend.

All roads out of Wawa were closed on Sunday, and after waiting for something to open up, we finally went out for another ride in the afternoon.
    Monday morning one road was open, and the main road did open by the time my chums were done dicking the dog, only to find that The U P was closed for business once we got down there.
    After a cpl of hours in the restaurant, one road did open up for us to git out of The Soo.

BTW - I did NOT churn up any snirt in the making of this trench.
    I don't know how deep the snow is.

Here is a pic of one of the younger fella's with us:

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 03-02-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added a nother pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My son is in the UP snowmobiling this weekend. He just replaced the engine on his Polaris and I believe he took his Yamaha along also. He goes up there with a group of friends at least 5 or 6 times each winter. They seem to enjoy themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could all of you people who really like snow arrange to capture all of it that otherwise falls in Seattle metro - it makes an awful mess here (and still hasn't melted)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    Could all of you people who really like snow arrange to capture all of it that otherwise falls in Seattle metro - it makes an awful mess here (and still hasn't melted)
    Blame your city planners for approving buildings that shadow the entire metro area

The only snow at my place is on the north side of buildings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i will not go down that rabbit hole, no sir, i will not, i have been bitten by enough government rabbits this week already...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    Try a small square bailer....then put them on a flatbed heading east.

22. Likes lucky7, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shuffled Iron

Worst is that I need to switch out some big Acme's. Move out a 2" and move in a 3.5". (25,000 and 35,000#) and the warehouse is a 1/2 mile away. It would take several hours of "go 'till it dies and leave sit" to get it from here to there while dealing with the evaporator freezing up. So it was high time....

Out with the old:

Made the switch:

In with the new:
    20,000# overloaded:

"New" and "old" in this case simply meaning with was in the shop and which was in the wherehouse.

Just moved the "old" one in 6 months ago and did a big set-up on it for a big job.
    Put bunches of time and $ into getting it all ready to roll for a family of parts.
    Only to end up with a dead beat customer....

The "new" here is what looks to be a regular job for a long time customer that they must have been running in-house prior.
    ... and won't take much to tool / set up for either....

---------------

Overloaded Diesel
    Ox

24. Likes wheelieking71, Panza liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's the snow ?

We got 6" on the ground here.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure why, but I really like old truckin songs........

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Where's the snow ?

We got 6" on the ground here.
    No kiddin.......over here......up past your knees in the fields and up to your delicates in the woods. Talkin 8-11” this weekend......I’m tired of blowin’ snow