Ox's Shop '08 - Page 47
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Ox's Shop '08

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK ..... Regarding the "In with the new" machine...

So I got part approval on our part yesterday and I still need to button up a few loose ends to get running yet.
    One of which was to wire up the chip conveyor.

I guess that I forgot this, but the conveyor didn't actually "come with" the machine when I got it, but it came in from elsewhere at prox the same time. (was never in this machine before)
    The only job that I have ran on this so far is the tube job from 4 or 5 yrs ago that I have the vid of earlier in this thread.
    I hadn't had coolant in it, and I hadn't ever had the stock tube, nor the conveyor in it before.

SO - the conveyor isn't exactly plug and play - and to be honest, we kind'a got into the connection hardware on the discharge end of the machine while moving it around as well.

It wasn't all that bad to git it into place as we rolled it in on 3" bars, but getting it all down on the ground and getting the forks out of it was a challenge.
    My little 8K just barely get's the job done. Actually - we needed to git the 5K under there too to get the 8 out.

But an-y-how .... the task was getting spark to the conveyor, and I didn't have any juice to the back end, so I went up front to see what I could see...

So, to predicate the punchline - notice that the machine is of a decent size...

And that the disconnect is is 7' off the floor, with the handle beyond reach of your average 6' farmer.

Now notice on the side of the disconnect box that there is another add-on box attached.
    It is reachable, but you can't really see what's what...

Well this add-on box is an on/off type motor starter (I guess is what'chew'd call it?) but it wasn't acting like I thought that it should, so I got the ladder to git my eyeballs up where they need to be, and this is what I found:

Doo you see what's laying in the bottom?

Not that this new info has anything to doo with the unit not working as expected, and with the warrs off and the one heater pulled, I'm guessing that this is more hints to the switch being buggered. Not that there is any nests or anything in there, but still .... COME _ ON! Are you kiddin' me?

On a side note, we ended up moving in yet another "new" machine, just like the "old" that we moved out a few weeks ago. Same machine, but this one had a different job already set up on it that we needed to run, so we have THAT setting just inside the overhead and I just ran off 8000 parts from it the last few days. Headin' fer heat treat on Monday...

We've moved a lot of iron in and out of here in just the last few months - and haven't bought anything in years....

EDIT:

After playing with the switch a little bit here just now - I got it to work.
    But at first it was stuck ON.
    I'd be shocked to find that it had been touched in the last 15 years!

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

2. Likes Panza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, it seems that the other two heaters are burnt too, just not as obvious.

I am sure that I can scare up a set of heaters to put in here, but what I am not figgering out is that I don't see any trip/reset mechanism in here.

So I'm not understanding the value of an actual "heater" if it's just being used as a fuse?

Am I missing sumpthing?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's the orange lookin' tab to the right of the "stop" button?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's what once was a "white" tabby that says "ON" and pops out as an indicator when it is switched on.
    Not sure of the value of that?

After digging out an A/B starter off the shelf, and looking at that, and then looking at this thing - I am guessing that possibly the ON / OFF rocker switch mechanism must be the RESET part, and the TRIP is built into that mechanism somehow?

I have a unit like this on a parts worsher, but it's never had cause to trip or blow or ... ???
    If it had, I might have some experience in how this thing werks.
    But I've only had the worsher for >20 yrs so ....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    What's the orange lookin' tab to the right of the "stop" button?
    My first guess is that is the OL reset.

Tom

Edit:- If you look carefully below the word "Stop" you should see the word "reset".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    My first guess is that is the OL reset.

Tom

Edit:- If you look carefully below the word "Stop" you should see the word "reset".

I guess it's possible that if it was actually tripped - that the white tab could have resistance agginst it - and be the RESET?
    But it's an awfully small feature...
    ???

Nothing below, above, or beside that says RESET on it.

The other thing that you see hiding in there is another tab that pulls out for lock out/tag out and keeps it from latching in if pulled out.

HOW-EVER ... I doo have hydro out the bottom now!

[still not 100% sure about the trip/reset aspect yet]

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of those mechanisms work by rocking the bar or pushing it in further. The solder pot ol's have a ratchet wheel on the bottom. when the stop/reset bar is operated, the pawls that bear against the ratchet wheels are turned to reset on the wheel. This also closes the ol contacts.

Screenshot: ⁨solder pot overload - Google Search

Tom