Close
Login to Your Account
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: Ox's Shop '08

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ox, is there any way you could supply those turrets with 'a couple' CFM of dry filtered compressed air. At slightly above atmospheric pressure?
    Let it leak out around the seals. A bit of air leaking out......no coolant is getting in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, so you can now add grease through the airline - I get that. But in such an installation, how does old grease escape? (As it wasn't designed for grease to begin with...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Ox, is there any way you could supply those turrets with 'a couple' CFM of dry filtered compressed air. At slightly above atmospheric pressure?
    Let it leak out around the seals. A bit of air leaking out......no coolant is getting in.
    Air purge maybe could be possible in stead, but then there is no lube benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    OK, so you can now add grease through the airline - I get that. But in such an installation, how does old grease escape? (As it wasn't designed for grease to begin with...)
    It spits out. Not like it's going to get 5 pumps a week or anything.
    Just a smidge at some point will likely make a big diff from nothing.

Looks like this when together:

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put a Lubricator on it, and maybe a solenoid valve, Valve is open whenever the control is 'in cycle'. Coolant is off when yer not 'in cycle'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ox, it's probably a case of burned out IGBTs in the spindle drive, so maybe just get a set of IGBT modules and replace them?

A volt meter can tell you which of the 3 phases died, assuming it lost a phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They tested good on the meter as best we could tell.
    I may have my EE look at it quick some time tho.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Metal X scrapyard fire adjacent to one of our local steel mills.
    The yard is only 1 year old at that.

This is from the 5:00 AM report this morning.

Fire crews desperate for water as fire at metal scrapyard in Delta continues to burn | wtol.com

I saw the cloud on my way home from delivering parts in Michigan last night @ 25 miles away.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Geez! Reminds me of a tire fire they had in Akron when I was a kid. 22mi away we could see the smoke. Wonder what kind of scrap they had there? I could see the local yard up the road burning like that. Piles of cars, god knows what heaped everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AFAIK it is all shredded cars.
    That's all I've seen there at least.

IDK if maybe they are all shredded, but maybe hadn't been through a sepparator yet?

The fire is in a pile that is all around a big (new) stationary crane - and that is apparently what they are mostly concerned with at this point.
    Not like the farr is going anywhere.

However - right accrost the road is a 15 acre (?) greenhouse, and they would likely not appreciate embers flying their way.
    However - normal prevailing winds would not doo that.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

IIRC car shredders (the big ones in a building) have separators for the other stuff. Glass, rubber, etc.

Like tires.

Crumb rubber in a large pile will self ignite (ask any tire recapper)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that nice new crane toast?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fire was reported as "out" as of the 11:00 news last night.
    Much quicker than they expected.
    But we will see if it stay's that way.

I know that many scrap [chip] piles will re-flame a day or two later.
    Not sure what a pile like this would doo, but all crews went home last night, so ....

No word on the equipment yet.
    I'm guessing that they will need some time to assess that.
    Those were some big flames.

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember working on some parts for a shredder in NE Ohio. I don’t remember the numbers, other than that it was BIG, and I remember the guy saying they could drop a whole school bus in the thing. He said when they dropped a semi in, if it had a big engine block you could hear the shredder motor start to grunt.

An enormous flywheel, at a sickening high rpm, with a tremendous amount of hp.

Apparently that whole operation was small potatoes compared to MetalX

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Demilta in Painesville has one like that.

although I think it has only a caged ladder, not the nice stairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scrap yard by me put in a big ol crane like those.................huge foundation. 100' reach with a big ol counter weight. Pretty cool unit.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A yard I do work for had a pile of cars go up last week. One of the guys said they saw the lightning strike on the security cameras and it spread over the pile of cars and across the ground like a spider web, traveled probably 1/4 mile across the ground. It was at night so no one was in the yard but there is usually 20-30 people in that area during the day.

18. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought that (intended to) I updated this...

I went past there Sat morning, and came around the block on the way home so that I could see the other side of the crane, and it looks fine.
    The white paint wasn't much if at all tarnished. At first I thought that the furthest arm of the crane was discolored, but it appears to be a light grey on both sides, so I guess it's just a diff color. ???
    (I will haf'ta go back and look at the linked pics)

Now the next question is how the conveyor came out?

Most all the time that the fire was burning - there was a south wind pushing the heat/smoke away from the crane, which Shirley helped, but that fire HAD to have had a LOT of infrared heat value! I'm amazed that the paint doesn't seem tarnished!

-------------------------

Eddie Money gone @ 70
    Gunna haf'ta git a new season opener for Pine Knob now ....
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Next "Newsed Arn" post:

Late summer 2012, we were running Charging Handles for AR's like there's no tomorrow.
    Me and my boy were tag/teamin' to keep the spindle turning about 20 hours a day.
    My customer had an order in hand that required more than we could crank in even a 24 hr day.
    I'd be fine giving it all we got and pass on the rest because I know the hot/cold of that market, and by the time I git sumpthing else tooled up, there likely wouldn't be much rush left, and when it tanks, those standing orders are for naught.

However - I have a good customer that wants me to produce parts, so ...

We were currently running on a tombstone on a 4x VMC.
    If we were gunna add capacity, I wanted to be able to double the parts/load, and then once the rush is cought up, I can pull this job off the VMC and use for other shtuff. (Dedicated mill)

So I was looking for an HMC with a 30" Y, and I found a Cinci Maxim 630 in Peorea.

This machine was cheap, but it had a hydraulic leak.
    Well, I know how to replace seals. This sounds like a good option....

Well, when I git there, the guy tells me that they had replaced the seals (in the B/Z axis / pallet clamp unit) 2wice already.

???

"Doo the guys know what they are dooing?"

"The second time there was a Cinci Tech helping."

"Oh...."

So at this point I realize that it's not just a seal job, but rather a cracked piston somewhere. Been there ....

So I took my chances on it.

Now one thing that I was un-impressed with was that the riggers did not see the need to pull the tool-changer off the machine, but opted to pull an OVER WIDTH tag to haul 12' wide all the way from Peorea to NW Ohio, when maybe a dozen - easy to git at - bolts and at least one Amphenol connector would have split it. About 15 minutes ....

So, we had to pull the changer off to git the machine in place anyhow...

About the time that we have the machine in place and under power, Mamma delivers a nother batch a parts, only to find that "2 weeks ago's" parts were still setting there, untouched.

"What's wrong with those?"

"Nothing, we just can't assemble them that fast."

So we just went out and fetched 35,000# of iron to produce extra parts, when they can't assemble as fast as we were already making them?
    Let alone - knowing full well that within 6 months - the rush will be over, and we likely wouldn't need to make any for the next year after that.....
    We never got the machine fixtured up, but I did produce the 8 sided 32" tall (?) stones for it, but have yet to utilize them.
    (Just raw stones, no holes or anything yet)

Also - we didn't push real hard to get the oil leak fixed.
    I was told that it would leak maybe 5 gallon a shift (?) into the coolant.
    So - at least it's not on the floor!

So we pulled the whole B/Z casting out and I decided to fetch an unused hydro pump and "bench test" the unit as we went.
    We found where the oil came from, and we had a drawing of the unit, and we could guess where it was coming from.
    So we started taking it apart, and I found that by making some special blocks, that we could "bench test" each half independantly, and then re-assess.

Well, neither half would leak, so we put it back together.
    It leaked.
    Take it back apart.....

Then I thought that maybe there was a slight alignment issue, and the "face app" o-rings were not quite sealing doo to the top dropping in slightly "clocked" away in one way or the other.
    ???

So we counterbored the o-ring bores bigger diameter, and installed a noticeably larger O rings in it.
    Put it back together. (Just the 2 halves, not actually back in the machine)
    Leaked.....

The project would git set asside most of the time, but when we had a day or two to kill, back on the big Cinci we'd go....

We dicked with it maybe 2 years total.

Finally I had a

I finally realized that the crack would only leak if the piston did NOT reach full travel - like when assembled.
    The piston is s'posed to pull the B down into the 360 position curvic coupling. If it bottoms out - it would not be pulling tight, but when we take it apart and test individually - the piston will make full travel, thus no real pressure to open the crack.

So we pulled it apart - just like I intended to to begin with - and had the likely part, along with a few others in that area, magnifluxed.
    Yep - there it is!

It is a part that they call the "manifold" [and I can shoot a pic of it to add here as I kept it] and the part and sub-assembly had been superceeded, and so I couldn't buy just the required part, but rather needed to buy the whole sub assembly @ sumpthing like $14 grande IIRC?

Boy, that's a bit much for a cracked piston. (essentially)

So, I knew a fella that had a machine shop, and he even had a big D lathe and a 5x mill that would be the cats meow for popping the intersecting holes!
    So a block of 4140PH and a wee bit'o time, and we have a branded new "manifold" ready to go back in!

Hasn't leaked since.

Pic of the 250 I-6 from our 8K Hyster on the pallet.

However - we did have some issues with the control (A950).
    It had been gitt'n worse as time went on, and it gave my EE a fit to try to locate the problem.
    It seemed to maybe be the backplane for the PLC, and Cinci PhoneTech (Tom) also pointed to that as well.

Then this spring I git's a call first thing one morning saying that a nearby shop has a Maxim 630 with a 950 control that they are moving outside and replacing with a new Kitimura. (I think) Was I interested in getting "some parts" off the machine?

I went'n looked and made an offer, which they accepted.
    My BIL started in on it post haste as it is now outside.
    We got quite a bit off of it, and so I gave them a nother cheque of the same value again.
    Then we took a bunch more, and I sent them another cheque, but I have most every moving part on a Cinci 630 in house, and that machine went to scrap weighing about 10,000# less than it did a few weeks prior.

First things first - the doner PLC backplane went in our machine, and our ghosts went away!

We plan to replace the spindle drive next as this one puts LOTS of noise in the line and doesn't like to spin very fast.
    If I run the spindle slow in each gear range, then it's OK, but if I spin it up ... near 1/2 throttle .... it will soon drop out.
    I ass_u_med that it was either my RPC juice, or maybe a bad transformer that was the cause, but the scope shows it to be the drive it'self, so the doner drive is poised to get swapped in soon. The years of the machines are 1 or 2 years different, and mine has a newer model drive in it. The cabinet is laid out for the older (slightly bigger) drive anyhow, but the wiring is different, and my tech is going to make up plug splices to put between the current wiring and the new drive so that we can go back easily.

Here is one of several bearing blocks that I am finishing up for a local steel mill currently.

My machine is stuffed up in the corner pretty tight, and not really able to git a good pic of it, so I liberated this pic off the net for those that don't know what one looks like:

--------------------------

Rick Ocasek - Gone @ 75
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 10-03-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: 12' Wide, not 16'