Close
Login to Your Account
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Ox's Shop '08

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    So I went to the county auditors site and found that it had indeed sold, and for $250K and is now stuffed full of hay and straw. I likely would have bought it for that!
    Ox
    I’ve always wanted to know how this worked. My wife and I looked at a property that would have been great. Warehouse space, a large space for a shop, and retail store frontage. Listed price was $750k, not even an option, sold for $300k.

A little concrete block building, listing for $200k, listed price never changed. Sold for $60k.

One I’ve been keeping an eye on recently was listed for $300k. Been sitting empty for 2 years. Now listed for $500k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

50K sq feet for $800K, then down to $250K? To buy? $16 per sq foot or $5 per sq foot? Really? There isn't a dropped 0 somewhere?

(Real estate agents hoping I will sell often send me notes about how they just sold some building for a such and so a price. Seems like even very large buildings are now going for $200/sq ft in these parts. So that 50K building would most likely be trading in the $10M range.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No dropped zero's.
    This aint Seattle.
    This is almost Kansas Toto....

The building is pleasant looking, but it is 70 yrs old too.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old big industrial buildings are dime a dozen around here. Some are dirt cheap, because of asbestos. Most companies are choosing to build new instead of move into old for this, among many other reasons.

Next town over the city tore down hundreds of thousands of sq ft of industrial buildings because they sat empty for years. There are acres of concrete now where those buildings used to stand.

There must be some kind of business incentive to list high, not sell, then demolish the buildings, that also happens a lot around here.

I wanted the railroad depot, an old 1800’s brick building, in the town my wife works, it was listed for sale for $150k, but needed an estimated $80k in work (can’t remember the exact numbers it was awhile ago) anyway, when no buyers came through the city stepped in and it was sold to the city historical society for $1. Now the historical society can’t afford to fix it up, there is talk of it getting torn down.

5. Likes adh2000, TheOldCar, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fal, that happens a lot, zoning for those older buildings is also a problem in many places. Even if it was an industrial building in the past, if it isnt zoned right you cant use it for a shop. And many places are not zoning for industrial anymore. They can squeeze more taxes out of commercial properties.

Keep hunting Ox you will find the right fit, I think it was a good idea not to build at home.

Charles

7. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A customer from years back was leasing an old multi-tenant complex. Roofs leaked, etc. They decided to build new in an industrial park, but quickly regretted the decision. They were instantly on the radar of every state agency needing to come in and inspect, for a fee. And 2 years after the building was complete, they were still coming by 'inspecting' and of course, finding 'faults' and issuing fines. What I remember them saying is one inspector came by complaining about routing of air lines. So they fixed it. Months later another inspector came by and had a problem with the same air line, demanding they put it back the way it was. Then there was a new-in-box TIG welder sitting just outside the machine shop area....for a year or more. Sore subject, they 'weren't allowed' to use it in the machine shop area and needed to build a separate room for it. I think this was the local code dept doing this, but they said OSHA hassled them as well. The owner would shake his head and mumble that roof leaks seemed so much simpler than all the BS of building new.
    I always thought an AG based location would be less prone to big brother's regs and rules.Plant some corn or Christmas trees if you have to....

9. Likes SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    I always thought an AG based location would be less prone to big brother's regs and rules.Plant some corn or Christmas trees if you have to....
    Yup, sprinklers seem to be a biggie.

The water authority will charge much-o extra on your water bill, as they feed your sprinklers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yup, sprinklers seem to be a biggie.

The water authority will charge much-o extra on your water bill, as they feed your sprinklers.
    Just like electricity, they charge you more for your capacity than for your use. Grrr!!

Charles

12. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBlair View Post
    Just like electricity, they charge you more for your capacity than for your use. Grrr!!

Charles
    That also brings up another point.

Buying an old large factory, you might find it has a very large substation for inlet power.

My chum bought such a place, had IIRC 12mw pad mounted xformer out front.....

14. Likes bryan_machine, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hate realtors. Good for nothing assholes.

The world would be a better place without them.

16. Likes moonlight machine, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Fal, that happens a lot, zoning for those older buildings is also a problem in many places. Even if it was an industrial building in the past, if it isnt zoned right you cant use it for a shop. And many places are not zoning for industrial anymore. They can squeeze more taxes out of commercial properties.

Keep hunting Ox you will find the right fit, I think it was a good idea not to build at home.

Charles
    Yup, friends weld shop got "re-zoned" without any notice what-so-ever.

The township called the whole street "tourism" and added onto all deeds, that once
    sold, could not be used for industrial ever again.

So we have aging industrial buildings, no one will fill them to capacity, just rented out for party areas, storage rentals, etc.

So where are the good paying jobs when you building is storing boats, classic cars, and campers for the winter ?

18. Likes bryan_machine, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    ...I wanted the railroad depot, an old 1800’s brick building, in the town my wife works, it was listed for sale for $150k, but needed an estimated $80k in work (can’t remember the exact numbers it was awhile ago) anyway, when no buyers came through the city stepped in and it was sold to the city historical society for $1. Now the historical society can’t afford to fix it up, there is talk of it getting torn down.

Sounds like an opportunity to me!

20. Likes Fal Grunt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blaine, WA charges the sewer bill based strictly on the water use. I guess the only thing they can imagine water is good for is flushing toilets!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Typically - if you have a high use for other porpoises, you CAN get a second meter for just that use. (commercial)

I have a chum with a second line for cooling his rubber mills only.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

23. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Blaine, WA charges the sewer bill based strictly on the water use. I guess the only thing they can imagine water is good for is flushing toilets!
    Allot of places doo this...you want to service a turd counting meter ?

25. Likes Larry Dickman, wheelieking71, lucky7 liked this post