Close
Login to Your Account
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1075

Thread: Ox's Shop '08

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default You Kan't Really Make This Schidt Up, But I Wish [that] I was! (%$$##!!!)

Running a bunch of 304SS pins and cutting off to C/L, and while I don't usually have all that much issues with 304 like I hear the masses fuss about, I guess this week's my turn. I'm sure that it wouldn't be near as bad if it had a through hole in it ... but it don't ...

I have burnt through way too many cut-off holder parts and inserts, and I opted for a carbide slitting saw, which just flew in here this morning.

Rather than just make an arbor to shove down in a collet on a live endwerking holder, I have a polygonning head that I have never used that should werk great for this!

But when I put saw to stainless, my outcome just wasn't quite what I had envisioned somehow...
    I thought that maybe I was stalling the live tool spindle motor as it is geared to +1.5, so ???
    But I found that there was a break between the INPUT and OUTPUT shafts.

Swell....

So I took the cover off of it and found that it was belt driven and I ass_u_med that I must'a stripped some teeth in the belt, but as I rolled it around - the belt looked like new.

So I held the blade (only drew a min amount of blood - no worries) and a slip joint pliers on the other and found that one of the pulleys was spinning on the shaft.

Well then - after dinking with it a bit, it seemed like as I turned it back/forth, the pulley seemed to maybe go in/out a bit.
    ???

Well let's doo that some more...
    Shore'nuff - the pulley is just threaded onto the shaft and bottoms out, and off to the races you go.

"Well OK! I can werk with that! Just spin it the other direction!" (Not the direction that I wanted the ships flying, but ....)

But what's even better (!!!) is that it is "geared up" 1/1.5 and if these pulleys just thread off, maybe I can flip the pulleys to make it 1/.67 and have more trq as I am not needing R's on a 3" saw. However - it seems that the bores are different - apparently doo to the size of the bearings on each shaft?

Swell....

But if it was just this - all I would need to doo is just M103 it and I'm off to the races - after puting a new blade in it anyhow ....

... but it's not ....

You can possibly see it in the pic, but one shaft is RH threads and the other is LH.

Would someone here please - and it may take a Kraut engineer (Tornos machine) _ PLEASE 'splain to me how this is 'sposed to werk Lucy!

I doo have a plan, and I'm sure that I can FIX it. I think that I will just cut a keyway in the bigger shaft and broach a keyway in the bigger pulley. Blow the threads out of the bigger pulley, and just put a nut and heavy worsher in it.

THEN make sure to spin it the right way so's that the other shaft doesn't unthread.

I just really don't git how this was to have ever werked fer Schidt in the firth place?
    It had a polygoning head on it - and you know that's trying to hammer the pulleys off position too eh?

I wish that I could blame it on a S Korean build, Or even maybe a Jap build, but NOOOOO, it's my bloody own kin!
    Does Traub doo Schidt like this? (Can anyone state-side even afford a Traub?)

I could prolly try to just Red Loctite it up real heavy and let sit 'till Monday morning, but I would just be fretting the whole time it's running - knowing that a crash is eminent.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn2367.jpg  

2. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A dab of the ole high carbon hot-glue ought to keep those things going the way you want, no matter if it's forwards or backwards.

I'd worry about re-engineering it when that bridge comes crossing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It does make sense to me that one is RH and other LH. The driving pulley powers the belt, needs one hand, the driven pulley needs the opposite hand threads. No?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Quite honestly I don't even know what you are talking about?
    I don't find a post from Thunder on this page at all.

???

Maybe a post was deleted before I saw it.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Um, yeah. Several posts deleted. Diversions about machine tool deserts. No harm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    It does make sense to me that one is RH and other LH. The driving pulley powers the belt, needs one hand, the driven pulley needs the opposite hand threads. No?

Maybe you are right?

Maybe I just need M103...

You know what - by golly - I think you're right.

Not quite the same as RH or LH lug nuts is it?
    (There are some older vee-hickles with LH lug nuts on the passanger side)

Thanks!
    This will be an easy fix! LOL!

I guess I should have stepped back a little further when looking at it eh?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

7. Likes DrHook, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

Well I sure am glad that at least someone can see the forest!

M3/M103 is working, although I didn't have enough trq to power [what's left of] my original cutter at the rec s/f, but I doo have it running. (amazingly)

I have a second new cutter yet, but am wanting to run this junky one for a while yet to see how the excess R's are going to effect it before I put the new one in.

I think that I will see about ordering another set of pulleys and prep them to run on the opposite shafts so that I get a trq advantage.

BTW - My appologies to my kin in Germany/Tornos.
    It was MY head that was up my assets!
    (Still I wish that I could spin it the other direction tho)

EDIT;

And fer anyone interested:

The blade that I have on now has been crashed out a few times while trying to git the direction thing figgered out, so it has chunks missing,and oodles of teeth gone or damaged, AND it is a 0* angle (reg slitting saw - no 5 or 8* "cut-off" angle like it should) and yet - without using the sub-spindle, I am getting a .03 D x .020 long tit on the part, and a flat face on the bar.

Again - [a batch of unco-operative] 304SS to C/L and a carbide saw.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

9. Likes Garwood, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never too old to learn.

Tom

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

(There are some older vee-hickles with LH lug nuts on the passanger side)
    ??

You mean WE HICKS are "older".

The Dodge was brand-new and not yet even dirty when I was learnt that.
    Mind.. it wasn't the first year they had done it. It was close to the LAST!

COULD HAVE made a certain sense on my Rudge-Whitworth one-nut wires.

Not so much on a 5-bolt stamped wheel.

13. Likes Ox, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

LH lug nuts...At least on my 1986 Izusu NPR they stamped the end of the stud LH.....

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    LH lug nuts...At least on my 1986 Izusu NPR they stamped the end of the stud LH.....

Yea, well, no stamping on my '89 Mitz Fuso. Woulda saved me a lotta time figuring that one out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Yea, well, no stamping on my '89 Mitz Fuso. Woulda saved me a lotta time figuring that one out.
    10' pipe on end of wrench or 1" impact wrench ?

How many did you snap off ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4' pipe on breaker bar. Then I googled.....back then it probably was Dogpile. Found where Chrysler used LH nuts back in the '60's. Fuso was owned by Chrysler and the truck has a Torqueflight 727 trans in it......so...Tried 'tightening' and it came loose. I know GM not Dodge, so never knew about this 'nother one of their goofy ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm guessing that GM used LH "knock-offs" on the Vette's?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    4' pipe on breaker bar. Then I googled.....back then it probably was Dogpile. Found where Chrysler used LH nuts back in the '60's. Fuso was owned by Chrysler and the truck has a Torqueflight 727 trans in it......so...Tried 'tightening' and it came loose. I know GM not Dodge, so never knew about this 'nother one of their goofy ideas.
    MOPAR picked it up outta the carpentry and house framing bizness back in the early 1900's.

You know.. where the FNG was so green he was about to bin half the nails because the heads were on the wrong end. Older, wiser hammer left-seater patiently explained them was for the OTHER SIDE of the house!

You'd have to know "newbies"!

MOPAR preserved it so thieves as would steal wheels and tires were frustrated, like to make-off with only half of them. That way if yah still had a spare yah could git back home on three wheels.

You'd have to know MOPAR.

Air-wrenches and air-nailers took the hard decision-making off the tasking list, so MOPAR eventually quit that s**t on passenger cars, too.

You'd have to know the UAW.

20. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    MOPAR picked it up outta the carpentry and house framing bizness back in the early 1900's.

You know.. where the FNG was so green he was about to bin half the nails because the heads were on the wrong end. Older, wiser hammer left-seater patiently explained them was for the OTHER SIDE of the house!

You'd have to know "newbies"!

MOPAR preserved it so thieves as would steal wheels and tires were frustrated, like to make-off with only half of them. That way if yah still had a spare yah could git back home on three wheels.

You'd have to know MOPAR.

Air-wrenches and air-nailers took the hard decision-making off the tasking list, so MOPAR eventually quit that s**t on passenger cars, too.

You'd have to know the UAW.
    So what did GM and Mopar do with cars built with Left hand drive ????

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm guessing that GM used LH "knock-offs" on the Vette's?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Yes they were, being 'one nutters' it seems to be a requirement,
    Corvette Chronicles: The Life Of The Corvette Knock-Off Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's taken a while, but I finally got in two new pulleys, and the special taps required.
    Got the pulleys modified and installed, then needed to doo some mod werk on the cap that covers the pulleys as it was built with expectations that the big pulley was on the OTHER end.

So I got it going with what saw blade that I had left - in sorry shape at this point.
    Now - on the other side of the gearing advantage - I seem to have the power to pull the tool now, but it didn't take long for the rest of the tool to self destruct. (It was longer than 5 seconds tho )

So then I had to order new blades, which showed up Friday sometime, but I just didn't git a round tuit to git it going 'till today.

I am happy to say that this is by far the best sounding and acting that it has been thus far.
    I got some cut-off angle on this set of blades, and they put on a finer pitch teeth (80 v 64) and the cut is smooth and the part just falls free with no drama.

Before, I just had 0* rake blades, and the part would git wobbly and flop off (even at 350rpm) and I don't think that did the blades any good either, so with the part falling free better - I am even more hopefull for a long tool life, but we will see....

Even with the 0* lead and unhealthy blades, it still didn't make much of a tit.
    But now with the new, finer pitch, and 5* (?) lead blades - in good shape I might add - there is VERY little tit, and am not using a sub-spindle.

Pic 1 shows the blade in the cut, but you may haft'a use a bit of your imagination?
    Pic 2 shows no tit.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn2373.jpg   dscn2374.jpg  

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am just wondering: Do you have a list of all your machines ? It seems you have a "new" one in every other post
    From what I have read you might have half of them (or more?) stashed away in another barn when they're not in use.
    Would be interesting to see a list but that might be too early for the thread, I am not sure which year you are up to here now, 2012 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, I finally got all cought up recently, but I'm not seeing eye to eye with photobucket these days, so the pics aren't up anymore.
    If photobucket won't meet me half way, then I will see if I can git the thread edited at some point.

I don't have a list exactly, but this is close:

Capacities

And yes, I only have about 1/2 the machinery inline at any one point.
    We doo move some big stuff around as needed/not needed.
    We rig our own stuff so it's not that bigg'a deal really.
    Usually $300 for the crane if it's big, or otherwise I can doo it with my on stuff.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

26. Likes Panza, DrHook, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda early to start thinking out it, but what do you plan on when it becomes time to be a professional snow bum. That's a lot of machinery and business.

Tom