Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Next thing I did to Big Zak was to replace the 15" power chuck with a 15" manual scroll 3 jaw chuck. The machine's spindle ID is about Ø 3.150", so removing the power chuck and drawbar opened up the spindle to utilize max bar capacity. I also bored out the ID of the manual chuck to just over 4" ID.

I intended to use the manual chuck just to get the machine going, but it has been a great asset. I don't do production and the manual chuck made setups on Big Zak effortless. The power chuck is still sitting in the shed, but I doubt it's ever going back on the machine.

I didn't have long enough SHCS to mount the chuck, so I improvised and welded on some nuts to some metric all thread. Ghetto, but it worked. I replaced the all thread with the correct bolts from McMaster later on.

I bought a 12v hoist off Craigslist that people use to put electric mobility chairs in their vehicles. It makes for a perfect jib crane for putting on a heavy ass chuck in the CNC lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1510.jpg   photo1512.jpg   photo1514.jpg   manual-chuck.jpg   photo1521.jpg  

2. Likes Ox, mbraddock, yardbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    One of my first jobs that I did in my shop was actually for WheelieKing. He had some large square aluminum blocks that needed the centers trepanned out. He was going to do them on his mill, but I suggested letting me give it a go on my big turret lathe instead. Looks sketchy as hell, but I was bracing the part in the chuck with the turret and a live center, not shown in the pics. The 3 jaw chuck is 15" in diameter to give the pic some reference.

Job turned out good for both of us.
    Yea, all because the customer wanted the slug back to put on the shelf
    He paid way more than those slugs of material were worth. And, this is a guy that knows WTF he is doing. I never did understand that one?

Anyways, here is how those blanks ended up after Phil knocked the centers out:

20140726_133822.jpg

20140726_164633.jpg

Thanks again Phil!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Phil, and welcome to the forums.

Hard to think of someone shipping sumpthing from HGR nearly 2000 miles!

Apparently you are in, or right next to a commercial sector, so you was more able to get by with a shop in your back yard, and an outdoor compressor?

Doo you mind some questions on a more personal level?

You had your building for several years before buying your first machine, and then you filled it up quickly.

Was there sumpthing that proded you to get the ball rolling?
    Then there must have been some good work for you to continue the investment. (???)

When I was first looking for a live tool lathe back around '97, a machine like your small tool changer was quoted to me.
    I am pretty sure that the pic is still on my bulletin board down in the office in "the old shop" to this day.
    I don't think it had a sub tho - which was prolly the first thing that ruled it out?

Glad to see your shop thread!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

5. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Hello Phil, and welcome to the forums.

Hard to think of someone shipping sumpthing from HGR nearly 2000 miles!

Apparently you are in, or right next to a commercial sector, so you was more able to get by with a shop in your back yard, and an outdoor compressor?

Doo you mind some questions on a more personal level?

You had your building for several years before buying your first machine, and then you filled it up quickly.

Was there sumpthing that proded you to get the ball rolling?
    Then there must have been some good work for you to continue the investment. (???)

When I was first looking for a live tool lathe back around '97, a machine like your small tool changer was quoted to me.
    I am pretty sure that the pic is still on my bulletin board down in the office in "the old shop" to this day.
    I don't think it had a sub tho - which was prolly the first thing that ruled it out?

Glad to see your shop thread!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Well, we used to have commercial property backing our house, but the city rezoned it and since 2012 there are 3 story apartments that look directly in our back yard. We planted trees and so did the apartment complex, but 8 years later, the trees still do not block everything. It really pissed us off at the time, but our efforts to fight the city were futile.

To be honest, I had some personal setbacks after the garage was built, so the machines were put on hold. The thing that finally prompted me to get the ball rolling was Parker telling me he was selling his Mazak. I never dreamed I could afford a real CNC but he made me an offer I couldn't pass up. I cut him a check and he loaded it on a truck.

While the Mazak was at the riggers, I was on vacation and ended up buying the big turret lathe off ebay and had it delivered to the riggers as well.

There was no work lined up in this venture. That's partly why I call it a hobby shop. I have no intention of ever going full time with this gig. This is just a part time thing I have been doing. I can't even claim the machines have paid for themselves yet.

I will say the Atlas Copco air compressor is MUCH quieter than the hobby grade vertical from Home Depot. It just hums vs making a huge racket.

I've been doing odd jobs here and there (I will detail them here in the thread), but it was only August of 2019 that the work started coming in on a somewhat regular basis. Not enough to get excited about though.

7. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, yardbird, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's my first job I had lined up for Big Zak back in 2014. It's a 12" water valve stem shaft. The contracting company these are for uses these water valves for their construction projects when working on sewer systems. Turns out some low lifes stole the bronze stems out of about 20 valves they had in their construction yard after hours.

They asked me if I could machine them replacement stems from stainless steel as a cheaper alternative to buying the OEM shaft for big bucks. I agreed to machine one stem and wanted them to test it in service to see if it would hold up for them. I ended up machining about 16 stems for them since I made the first one.

They let me borrow an old valve and stem shaft from which to reverse engineer the part. The stem measures about 22.5" in length and has a 1.5" -3 LH Acme thread.

The end of the stem has a tapered square cut on it to accept a cast iron adapter upon which fits a 24" cast iron hand wheel. I machined the tapered portion on the first shaft on the mill, but on later shafts I was able to machine the flats directly on Big Zak. Nothing is super critical on these parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1204.jpg   photo1531.jpg   photo1542.jpg   photo1562.jpg   photo1567.jpg  

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Phil

Thanks for sharing ... really nice walk through from day one and the settee!

Just room for a surface grinder now?

Keep up the good work!

John

10. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh - so you WERE able to run parts on Big Zack for a while then?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh - so you WERE able to run parts on Big Zack for a while then?
    Big Zak is the blue one I got from HGR and it's still in service since fixing it up as outlined above. Black Zak is the first machine I got from Parker and it never made any parts for me.

13. Likes Ox, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's another job I got that required me to run it on Dr Evil. These are 19.5" semi wheels and the OD was too big to run in Big Zak. My friend needed the center of the wheels bored out to fit a Ford style free floating axle. I didn't charge enough for this job. Lifting the wheels on and off the machine was a lot of work.

Some of the wheels were 8 lug and some were 10 lug. I machined the fixture to be double sided.

I also machined a set of 17" Hummer wheels to fit on WheelieKing's Dodge truck using this same fixture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150802_141405.jpg   20150802_144248.jpg   20150802_173002.jpg   20160424_130402.jpg   20160424_153745.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My friend is a fabricator. He made a heavy duty trailer using the free floating axle ends cut off from a Ford F-550 truck. He needed me to machine off the spring perches and turn down the shafts to fit inside a piece of heavy wall tubing in order to make a set of trailer axles. He utilized the disc brakes off the Ford truck and installed a 12v electric to hydraulic brake booster to run the trailer brakes. You can see the wheels mounted to the trailer at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150627_232822.jpg   20150628_043251.jpg   20150628_114958.jpg   20150628_133513.jpg   20150911_160850.jpg  

16. Likes Ox, yardbird, Totallyrc, mbraddock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's kewl!

When you said "10 bolt" I figgered that must be 4 or 5000 series truck.

Disk brakes on a {pick-up} trailer!

Never heard of a 12V to hydro boost before.
    That's gunna beat the Schidt out of electric drums!
    Even better to have up here in the land of salt!
    I think I have a wheel or two not wanting to skid right now?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

18. Likes Philabuster, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been thinking of making a new trailer with similar set up for brakes.
    Here are a few:
    Electric Over Hydraulic Trailer Brake Actuators

20. Likes Ox, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Disk brakes on a {pick-up} trailer!
    His tow rig is a Ford F-450 dually. He has farm tags on the truck so he is allowed to haul damn near anything he wants and gets away with it. I don't know how he does it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's another job I did for my fabricator friend. He needed a custom water pump pulley machined for a Chevy LS2 engine. I think the story was the engine accessories were for a truck, but the water pump was for a car. Basically, the water pump didn't work because the old pulley had a large radius on the corner and the belt didn't line up. I machined it up on Big Zak and also punched in the speed holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160123_190419.jpg   20160123_200712.jpg   20160123_200653.jpg   20160124_164144.jpg  

23. Likes wheelieking71, yardbird, DrHook, mbraddock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His tow rig is a Ford F-450 dually. He has farm tags on the truck so he is allowed to haul damn near anything he wants and gets away with it. I don't know how he does it.
    I thought it was a great thing, no?

A local fella here builds new S/S chassis for under Michigan multi-axle tankers (after 10 yrs on salty roads) and he had a whole stack of brand new axles with disk brakes.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

25. Likes Philabuster, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, things were getting really crowded in my shop, so I needed more room to store tooling and stuff. In 2017, I bought a modified shipping container from a place that specializes in custom designs. This one is a 10' section cut off from a 40 footer and has fabricated ends welded on either end. It was perfect for my needs. The company delivered it on a rollback truck for me. Ruby our hound approved of it as well.

I dismantled the piece of crap shed we had and then I bought some 4" PVC conduit and used them like rollers and moved the new container into place with a digging bar as leverage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170209_165041.jpg   20170209_165415.jpg   20170209_170735.jpg   20170211_115307.jpg   20170211_164747.jpg  

27. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a few more pics rolling it into place. Fits perfect under the roof eve. I used some fencing tubes to roll it on the concrete the last bit and then set it down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170211_181103.jpg   20170211_183507.jpg   20170211_183522.jpg   20170211_190030.jpg   20170211_193252.jpg  

29. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great shop and nice thread, thanks for posting
    You definitely do some odd type work...interesting !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

31. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Big Zak is the blue one I got from HGR and it's still in service since fixing it up as outlined above. Black Zak is the first machine I got from Parker and it never made any parts for me.
    Philabuster,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost to ship the cnc's form HGR? Did you pick the trucking company, or did HGR make the arrangements?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Philabuster,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost to ship the cnc's form HGR? Did you pick the trucking company, or did HGR make the arrangements?
    HGR made all the arrangements in regards to shipping and tied out with my rigger. I just specified the machine needed to be transported on an air ride trailer. Big Zak's shipping was $3k from Ohio to Arizona (in 2014) and the machine was here within two weeks if I remember correctly.

HGR got back with me a few days later after I bought the machine. They told me what the final price was and I paid it via credit card and the machine was on it's way.

34. Likes Ox liked this post