Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How about we put a face with a name!

Well, I was getting jobs here and there for the shop as I outlined in this thread, but the machines are sitting a whole lot more than they get used. I had a lot of people in the Mazak forum kept asking me to make Mazatrol training videos on how to run a CNC Mazak control. Well, why not.

I enlisted the help of my cinematographer friend who makes videos for a living. He filmed and edited the first few videos and got me going in the process. He recommended camera and audio gear for me to purchase and also the video editing software. He also spend a lot of time training me how to edit the videos.

I am a very introverted person, so standing up in front of the camera gives me stage fright. I'm struggling to talk to the camera, but hopefully over time, I will get better at it. I feel a little more comfortable as soon as I turn my back to the camera and begin programming the machine as if someone is standing next to me learning what to do.

The channel just went live a few days ago, so it's still in it's infancy. Here's my intro video. Let me know what you guys think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome dude, you'll be as good as this guy

YouTube

we need more people like you sharing your knowledge Thanks

3. Likes Philabuster, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by solidworkscadman View Post

YouTube

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Peter is one hell of a machinist!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by solidworkscadman View Post

YouTube

Well you seem to be the SolidWorks Cam man so when are you going to share some of that? Ha ha have a great day.

Charles

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Outstanding job Phil! Good to see your doing this.

7. Likes Philabuster, CBlair liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys interested in learning why I love Mazaks so much? Here's a 14 minute training video I think you might like.

In this video, I'm machining a series of pulley grooves in a sample part. I show you how to rough and finish 3 pulley grooves with only 2 lines of code. I take you through the process of creating the program, checking the tool path, setting the work shift, and last, machining the part. I am going a bit fast programming the first processes as I covered all that in my beginner videos.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0112.jpg  

9. Likes cnctoolcat, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Phil, these videos are great, thanks so much for taking the time to do them!

Companies (and schools) that run Mazaks can use these excellent videos for training.

I've been a Mazatrol guy since 1991, when I attended a week-long training class at the Mazak technical center in Atlanta. I had just started working for CM Hoist in Damascus, Virginia, and was the engineer assigned to implement a newly-purchased Multiplex 620 with gantry robot --- CM's first Mazak.

Talk about getting thrown in the deep end!

ToolCat

11. Likes Philabuster, CBlair liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They have a nice place there, it is not very far from my shop. They used to do more open houses there, good Bar-b-que. I still have a hat from one of them, must be at least 10yrs ago now. I should just stop by and say hello sometime, maybe I can get a new hat.

Charles

13. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Phil - nice video, and a question....

It appears that the tool changer on that machine is some kind of chain arrangement rather than a turret. Is that true or some kind of visual trick?

If it is in fact a chain-belt tool changer, it would be the only one I've ever seen (live or web) on lathe that doesn't have a B-axis head. I would think the expanded tool capacity and reduced conflict (collision) properties would make them very popular.

Thoughts?

15. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    Hey Phil - nice video, and a question....

It appears that the tool changer on that machine is some kind of chain arrangement rather than a turret. Is that true or some kind of visual trick?

If it is in fact a chain-belt tool changer, it would be the only one I've ever seen (live or web) on lathe that doesn't have a B-axis head. I would think the expanded tool capacity and reduced conflict (collision) properties would make them very popular.

Thoughts?
    This machine has a 16 tool magazine on a chain rather than a turret. Mazak gave this machine tons of X-axis travel because it has live milling. You need the extra X-axis travel when drilling into the OD of a workpiece for example.

My other Mazak also has the same 16 tool arrangement, but it's on a bigger scale. My small Mazak (Junior) has proprietary VDI 40 tools and the big Mazak has proprietary VDI 50 tools.

This setup also has tons of adjacent tool clearance around the active tool. This machine has an 8" chuck, but I can turn 12" diameters down to X0 with no interference from adjacent tools. This little machine has a 19" diameter swing, which is huge for such a tiny machine.

My avatar is my machine at work with 15" jaws mounted to the 8" chuck. I have machined up to 18" OD x 6" ID x 4" long aluminum rings in there because we didn't have another machine and because I could.

Only one tool is locked up at a time and the rest float around on the chain. The disadvantages are stringy chips are bad and can wrap around the tool and get caught behind the tools preventing lockup. The tool-to-tool index time is also much slower than a turret.

First two pictures are of Junior's tools and the next two pictures are of Big Zak's tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200131_185600_resized.jpg   20200131_185628_resized.jpg   20200131_185707_resized.jpg   20200131_185649_resized.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    I have machined up to 18" OD x 6" ID x 4" long aluminum rings in there because we didn't have another machine and because I could.
    Actually, I think the workpiece was closer to 5" thick. I machined the blanks on the big manual lathe and then profiled the OD and cut the step in my little QT10N ATC/MC Mazak. Then I flipped the part over and milled 8 slots 3/16" wide x .100" deep and drilled some holes. The rings were then cut on a band saw into 8 pcs using the 3/16" slots as a guide. I later milled the sides of the segments down to the edges of the slots.

These are expand segments used for tooling. They go on a hydraulic expander similar to an exhaust pipe expander but on a MUCH larger scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150623_145707.jpg   20150624_113751.jpg   20150624_115326.jpg   20150624_131648.jpg   20150624_132301.jpg  

18. Likes CBlair, wheelieking71, SND, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Phil I admire you for getting in front of the camera. Lots of videos people don't and it's ok but what you did is better. I can imagine that would be difficult.

Nice looking machines!

I'm impressed that you took the risk to buy a machine from HGR, I assume without seeing it in person. I usually drive up there about once a year at least. It is an amazing place. One time I went up there and bought a few things for my old company. We needed a surface grinder in the shop and I did ok on that. I also saw a pipe polisher. We did a lot of polishing stainless pipe for conduit (pharma plant) and they did it in the lathe. Sad to see a lathe used that way. Anyway, the thing was $300 or so and I figured it was worth a try. When it came back to the plant the guys in the shop took one look at it and put it right in the dumpster. They laminated the tag for me for a joke. I just blamed it on the bad lighting. Anyway, looks like you did pretty well.

20. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Phil, I need some help!

Well, last weekend my friend needed some machining help. He is repairing a mid 1980s walk behind dirt trencher with a 3' digging depth and the main drive shaft for the digging chain was shot due to the bearings going out and destroying it. There were also some issues with the drive gears as well being beat to shit from someone who worked on it last.

He bought new bearings and a new drive gear for it, but the main drive shaft was no longer available from the manufacturer. He ended up finding out the sub contract supplier of the shaft and they said they haven't made one in over 5 years. They were gracious enough to provide him a print of the shaft, so that was a major help for us. Trying to reverse engineer the old part would have been impossible given the poor condition of the old shaft.

We used some 1-1/2" diameter case hardened tight tolerance material from McMaster because there is a needle bearing that rides on the shaft, but the rest of the diameters didn't really need to be case hardened. My friend is a machinist himself, so I said go for it and he machined all of the tight tolerance features on the shaft. He really liked running Guido, my little Italian toolroom lathe. I basically stood back and watched while he worked.

Shaft came out good and he was proud of it. Pic of him holding it up for the camera. He reassembled the trencher and test ran it minus the digging chain. He is still waiting for a new digging chain for it as the old one was basically trash as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200215_121101_resized.jpg   img_0486_resized.jpg   img_0485_resized.jpg   img_0488_resized.jpg  

22. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put the guard back on! I get nervous looking at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

24. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Put the guard back on! I get nervous looking at that

He has all the guards for it, just not shown in the pictures.

Here's a Google image of the same machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6636k.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I figured, I was just ball busting, although I do work with a guy that’s missing most of the fingers on one hand after losing a battle with a chain drive on some machine in a paper mill... that had to hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro