Pics, Vids, and life in the new building! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally - I think you may be the #1 Haas salesman!

Those may not be a Mori, but it sure seems to me that those are undoubtedly the ticket for most apps.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

2. Likes wrustle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found myself pricing a new Haas the other day. It's just so easy to run.

I don't think you can get more features and travel/$ than with a Haas. And the resale value is incredible. I would not doubt I could get every penny back out of mine.

4. Likes wrustle, rkucbel1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    I found myself pricing a new Haas the other day. It's just so easy to run.

I don't think you can get more features and travel/$ than with a Haas. And the resale value is incredible. I would not doubt I could get every penny back out of mine.
    INDEED! My sentiments exactly!

I bought my first Haas back in 2006, a 1992 Haas VF-0.

Here it is today, (actually this Saturday morning) with my son changing it over for the next job. Still runs day in and day out.

Still makes great parts and despite its hp limitations when you work within the parameters of the machine itself, it's still a great money maker!

I can't even begin to think of how much money that one machine has made for me in the past eight years.

Best of all.......I only paid 15K for it in 2006, and I'm quite certain I could get pretty close to that for it now, as it is in excellent shape inside and out and has always been serviced by Haas when it rarely has a problem.

The old in the background, with the new to the right.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sunday morning and no place I'd rather be than the shop!

Well, apparently it must be true......cause I was here all damn day long..................

Finished up the back side of these stainless parts.

I gotta say......what a pain in the ass! Mill some off the face......it bows. Flip it over to mill some off that face to straighten out the bow, and it's fine. Flip it back over to mill the pocket flat........so on and so forth.

Is there really some rule of thumb for working with this stuff? It is painfully slow to watch as well, especially when all you normally work with is aluminum.

Here's pics of the holding stock milled off.

Parts on the left have now been chamfered complete and the .190" radius milled on the right side.

Now I just need to flip them over and mill off about .010" to make the thickness, mill the pocket flat, set up to drill and ream the hinge pin diameter, then polish complete,...........oh.....then out for passivate.

Going to be a long day on Monday!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also managed to get the first handling done on the stainless latches.

At least if I have to do stainless, I'm glad it's all at once and one right after another.

Nothing worse than having to clean out a machine for a material change along with all the tooling, and inserts in the cutters.

Running some Delrin blocks in the VF0.

Simple little mill, drill and c'sink job. Nice to have some mindless parts thrown into the mix now and then.

Next up......steel hinges. Lot's of steel hinges!

We buy the material in 96" lengths and cut them to length in the saw.

Once the hinges are cut to length, we have to take them apart to saw cut notches and saw cut knuckles (hinge knuckles that is) for clearance.

Will have more pics to follow on this one............

That's a project for Monday as well. So glad my trainee (daughter) will be learning the ropes on this job. We make these throughout the year for years now and I gotta tell ya.....it's one of my least favorite jobs.

But before she can start working on these hinges, she needs to do a little deburring on some shafts that came out of the VF0 on Saturday.

There are three keyways we mill in these shafts that came out of the Okuma. Anyone suggest a way to easily remove the burrs from keyways on a round part.......I'm all ears!!

Danielle making the shafts in our Okuma Cnc Lathe.

To be continued.................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, finished off the stainless latches and was very pleased with the end result.

Hopefully, my customer will feel the same.

Now it was on to some smaller stainless parts, and these guys were not only a little tricky to hang on to, but also pretty fussy.

The pieces in the rough state are .5" x 1" x 1.5" lg. 303 SST. With the exception of the profile dimensions everything else was .0005".

We made these parts from the prototype stage through to production. A few revision changes along the way and we were making the first production run a couple months later.

All in all, the parts came out very nice, and I would actually welcome the next run now that all the kinks are worked out.

Now it's back to the normal stuff!

Some engraved aluminum vial holders.

Along with several hundred of the handles we make.

Our Haas VF-2SS makes easy work of these!

We had trays of handles taking over the place!

Making some aluminum guideways.............

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Time to sit around the fire with my one and only, have a cocktail or three, and relax!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to see your busy Russ!
    And I hear ya on the move taking longer, and costing more, than you expected.
    I am trudging through that pain myself.

10. Likes wrustle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only hope to be in your position in a few more years. Skål!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Russ,
    What CAM software do you use for programming?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roughing and stress relieving then finish machining may help minimize the stainless moving around. 303 CR, in my opinion/experiences has alot more internal stresses, and moves around a lot more than 1018 CR.

For your shaft keyways I like the Osborn nylon deburring wheels, you can find them at MSC or any major supplier. The trick is to use a nice new/sharp carbide endmill and try to keep your burrs to a minimum.

14. Likes wrustle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two folks "sitting around with their "one and only"" ... both playing with their gizmo's....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

16. Likes wrustle, jackal liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Two folks "sitting around with their "one and only"" ... both playing with their gizmo's....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The honeymoon must be over!

18. Likes jackal liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is your hangout at the shop, or only at home?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well - I don't know which thread it was that had the 3ph install in it - so I can't be sure when you had it installed for sure, but you should have a full months hydro bill by now eh?

And did you run for a full billing cycle with the new mill and the RPC too - to compare to?

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I only play with my gizmo when alone. When I'm with my one and only, she plays with my gizmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Is your hangout at the shop, or only at home?
    No hanging out at the shop. Once the door closes behind me......work is over!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well - I don't know which thread it was that had the 3ph install in it - so I can't be sure when you had it installed for sure, but you should have a full months hydro bill by now eh?

And did you run for a full billing cycle with the new mill and the RPC too - to compare to?

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Hey Ox, as a few had mentioned before we moved to 3ph from the pole, our electric bill is actually cheaper now.

Last month was only $245.00 and we have been working 50hrs/wk, and I've been working 7 seven days a week since.....well......sometime back in the middle of March.....now that I think about it.

One thing I did do that seems to have made an impact in the electric bill was to connect both my piston compressors together giving me 120 gallons of storage. It does run longer when it comes on, but it doesn't run as often.

Could just be a coincidence though.....not too savvy about those kind of things.

By comparison, my home electric bill runs about $210 per month. Same power company. But the outdoor wood furnace runs a circulator 24/7, and my hot tub is always set at 103* and it's a rather large one, seats nine adults. Not that we have wild parties out there, I just like stretching out and relaxing in the thing without bumping into my neighbor sitting next to me.......well, I suppose it depends what she's wearing...........actually........

So, yes.....the 3ph from the pole is much cheaper than the RPC was. We even got rid of the little rinky dink dorm room size fridge and put in a full size. Still cheaper than last month. Go figure!

Maybe the rates came down..........

Best Regards,
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, the rates did not come down.
    At least they did not have to come down to give the result you are seeing....

An RPC is not magic, its physics.....and like each and every piece of real physical equipment....it wastes power.
    It's just a particularly perverse variety of motor generator set. One where motor and generator are not just integrated into one housing, but are using even the same coils.

In Germany basically nobody uses RPCs, or even knows about them. Real 3 - phase everywhere....many homes have it at the breaker box....and every industrial place will certainly have it.

3 Phase is a system so absolutely elegant both in math and practical application - i still don't get why it's such an issue in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some fun pics.......believe it or not........we do have a LOT of fun at work!!

Andrew, myself, and Danielle goofing around at break time!

Andrew offering Hazel a biscuit while she pretends to ignore him so she won't have to do any tricks to earn it......she's like...PUH-LEASE..............help me!

Employee dinner......two of the best!

Danielle making parts in our Okuma Cnc Lathe for the U.S. Army Tank Division.

Andrew making flywheels in our Okuma Cnc Lathe.

Andrew, running the VF-2SS.

To be continued..................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ordered a new lathe last week.

One of the options I wanted was a dead length collet chuck.

Came home from work today, and after dinner went out front and found this sitting on my front porch..........

What the heck...........I just signed the papers the middle of last week. The quoted lead time was 8-10 weeks but I insisted on 4-5.

Maybe they are going to ship it one piece at time and I have to put it together myself..........

That's the last time I buy a damn lathe from Ikea!!

Best Regards,
    Russ