What's new
What's new

breakfast beams

big beams come in 2 sizes, sidewalk (27xanything), and breakfast beams- Wheaties. These are really 36 282's but drill (aka Tinks) needs to be told 268 lb/ft so it falls within conveyor capacity.

Those were 61 ft stock, which is like 3 tons higher than I can count. If one fell, it would be catastrophic all around; If I failed on one, it would be catastrophic too. Took more brain working than I initially gave them respect for, which is what makes metal fun somedays.

Oh to be young again....Big beams are fun,just measure more than twice when cutting. Welded wide range beams are much larger. I remember pushing over a bridge beam we were making into a logging bridge. We put six inch square dunnage on the floor to catch the fall and pushed it over with an old Blu-Chip forklift. The flange cut the 6x6 pieces pinching them to nothing.

The voortman is plasma, cost almost a whole lot. The drill is Controlled Automation drill with a HeM post saw, cost a bit less. Honestly, the drill is more fun- highly operator dependent, and can outrun the voortman 3 to 1 speed and accuracy. You do not get to sit and watch youtube however.

We used to have a prestressed concrete beam shop nearby and I would
stop by and buy mafia blocks from them (they made the cleanest ones around)

In the back yard was the "mistakes" and I was standing next to a beam 6' high
and 2' wide and 100' long.

solid concrete.

WIN_20190608_092000.jpgsometimes we forget to see what is around. this is across the road, the river normally is not there.. egrets bunched up, not sure what they are feasting on, no frog noises outside the peepers at night.
WIN_20190608_091910.jpg

Looks like a capped (and relatively thin) tube? Must be low-duty, those brackets seem far to light for real strain.

And if it's the weldor who's retiring, best of luck to him in the future.

Looks like a capped (and relatively thin) tube? Must be low-duty, those brackets seem far to light for real strain.

And if it's the weldor who's retiring, best of luck to him in the future.
It is 24 inch std pipe, not extremely heavy wall. On those tees go 14 inch beams with 16’ 8x13 beams hanging off those, those then are tied back together with some 8x10s. Inside that cage is an big air conditioner, on top is solar panels. Sides are 14x48 video boards. All with 140 mph wind load rating.
Hurricane Billboards are our bread and butter.

Back