Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couple before and after pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails copy-dscf0085.jpg   dscf0006.jpg  

2. Likes ARB, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A) What kind of work are you dooing on the teeter totter? Apparently very light?

B) I love the ingenuity! Did you have had a 5x control already? Or is one of the rotary's on a stand-alone? Or?

C) What fer HMC? It looks like the pallet moves in X? That's gotta be some pallet shuttle!

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    A) What kind of work are you dooing on the teeter totter? Apparently very light?

B) I love the ingenuity! Did you have had a 5x control already? Or is one of the rotary's on a stand-alone? Or?

C) What fer HMC? It looks like the pallet moves in X? That's gotta be some pallet shuttle!

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Ox,
    A) pretty much just done cylinder head work on it, Ill position it, put the parking brakes on, throw some jack screws under the appropriate points, and rough out what I can get just using xyz. Remove jack screws, and re position, (a yea , dont forget to remove them jack screws), and rough on. I got a tooling ball out on the end of the teeter I can check every now and then to see If anything moved on the A or B drive . When I get it roughed out enough, I free every thing up and port from the deckside, then from the manifold side using xyzab.

B) Pretty much just had to work with what I had and make it go. The Machine already had five drives, I just had to add the rotaries . Most of the time I use the machine for other stuff, so I only put the fixture on when Im gonna do a few heads.

C) Pallets are Shuttled into the machine via a transfer hook in the Z motion. Then the pallet sits on the B and moves in x, spindle moves Y and Z, but Y is up and down, and Z is in and out. Ill get some pictures when I get time. Its just one of those machines I thought would be cool to have, so you find one cheap, close to home, You just gotta break it down , move and put it back together. What a smoking deal!!!!! How could I go wrong. Yea right , long story. But it is up and running now, I think I might like it, time will tell. Still got some things to fix, but at least I can use it.

5. Likes PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Few pictures from this week, except for the vice jaws, that was a couple months ago. But as for the jaws, I was holding 4 parts at a time, saw cut 4140 HT , think 1/2 x 3/4 . Any way, you know what happens when you try to hold 4 saw cut pieces in smooth hard jaws at the same time. You might get lucky and make it through a few cycles, but sooner or later , your probably gonna throw a part. So after throwing a few and taken out a couple good 3/8 carb mills, I decided to take some old abused ( crashed) jaws over to the manual mill and mill some serrations using a small ball mill. After that I ran about 500 pcs without throwing any. Looks billy, but it worked pretty good, and the jaws were toast anyways. The other parts are a spacer plate for a gear train cover,piston op 1 , timing gear,hub, and outboard support,( I didnt hob the gear, just made the blank and done the milling and drilling) and some stock for a fun job Ill probably start next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 246.jpg   255.jpg   232.jpg   237.jpg   242.jpg  

7. Likes wheelieking71, alliancefab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Cammer" ?

You could prolly get away with a plastic or even a 2-by for a front jaw on apps like that.

--------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    "Cammer" ?

You could prolly get away with a plastic or even a 2-by for a front jaw on apps like

--------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

I was only holding onto about 1/8, profiling bout 5/8 deep , but if I was holding onto more I can see we're the plastic or wood may have worked ,thanks . Sure would of been quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the gear cover done except for a few holes to drill and tap on the top and bottom ,(probably just lay it down on the horizontal for these), machined every thing except the outside profile with a 1/2" a EM, dry (its just A36). (Thank you Bobw for your down to earth explanation on coatings and how to let them do there job.) Then went back in and added the fillets. Picked up some tombstones off craigs list for 200 bucks each, not four sided but for that kinda money, itll work. trammed them up on the pallet, every thing looks great, wont even have to face them. Just putting a center location bore and bolt pattern in them. The bolt pattern they came with was only off by .062 a side, sooo close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0268.jpg   dscf0271.jpg   dscf0275.jpg   dscf0277.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is that indicator holder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer120x View Post
    What is that indicator holder?
    SWEEP -IT I think they sold through SPI now a days

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As usual Clint...........neat stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got some heads up on the teeter totter fixture so I thought Id post up a short clip , its slow but I dont have to baby sit it. TEETER TOTTER FIXTURE - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally getting to play around with the horizontal a little bit. It sure is nice to get to use it after working on it for about year on and off.

MITS 434 - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rod.jpg  

16. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hiya Clint,
    Glad to see her up and running. I'll get there some day, but swamped as usual. Plus you're so far away. "snicker"
    That rod will end up helping one of these run: cp dream 1 dyno - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have not posted anything in awhile, so I thought Id post some pics and say thanks to Chuck, A member on the forum that sold me these tombstones.
    Really worked out nice for me. These things are about 600 lbs each, and somebody hand scraped the bottoms, really happy with them. Hard to believe no matter how many tool holders you have, you still always want another thats a little longer here and a little smaller diameter there etc etc. Next thing you know its off to the lathe to make it what you need, then its pretty much useless for anything else, but you get that 100 dollar job done, and it only cost 500 in tooling!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2253-1-.jpg   img_2252-1-.jpg   img_2254-1-.jpg  

19. Likes Ox, Ray Behner, cmccull166, DrHook, cnctoolcat and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clint
    Im happy you put those tombstones to work and thats great they are working well for you.
    And Thanks for the pictures Great stuff

21. Likes cpifer3, PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been awhile since I posted any pictures, so here are a few projects that Ive been working on in the Horizontal, and one of some lathe work I did a while back. The more I play with the horizontal, the more I realize the potential a horizontal has. Not to mention 50 taper versus 40 taper etc, 40 horse versus 17 and just shear mass. Yea, its an old piece a junk to most people, but if you treat it right, it sure can get the job done. At least for junk I make.
    img_2584.jpgimg_2300.jpgimg_2557.jpgimg_2556.jpgimg_2586.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love the work you do! Thanks for sharing.

24. Likes cpifer3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I love the work you do! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks wheelie, your thread has been a big inspiration to me. I can really relate to a lot of it. Always enjoy seeing your work, good luck in the new shop .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cpifer3 View Post
    Its just one of those machines I thought would be cool to have, so you find one cheap, close to home, You just gotta break it down , move and put it back together. What a smoking deal!!!!! How could I go wrong. Yea right , long story. But it is up and running now, I think I might like it, time will tell. Still got some things to fix, but at least I can use it.
    Clint - I know you chimed in on my post earlier about horizontals (thanks) but now that you've been living with yours for a while, are you glad you brought it home versus a vertical, or another different machine?

Thanks bud - very cool post. I like your ingenuity with setups and the home-cooked 5 axis!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny SolidWorks View Post
    Clint - I know you chimed in on my post earlier about horizontals (thanks) but now that you've been living with yours for a while, are you glad you brought it home versus a vertical, or another different machine?

Thanks bud - very cool post. I like your ingenuity with setups and the home-cooked 5 axis!
    I must admit, now that I have had it up and running for a while, I Love it!! Its a beast. I do almost all my steel and heavy roughing on it now. Only problem is I cant keep up with it when its running smooth. Its just to much for one guy to program it, set it up, feed it, empty the chip barrels, clean it, maintain it etc , etc. and run all the other stuff that goes on day to day. But yea, the more I learn to use it and utilize it, the more I like it.

28. Likes Ox, Garwood, Johnny SolidWorks liked this post