Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great shop and great work. I come from an auto background and do performance stuff so great to see. Stupid question though, are you installing the cap on the rods and hand honing(sunnen) or are you putting back in cnc and doing some "trick". All the vids I see of pistons/rods etc they run the bores in a hone.

Ps- I may need you to make me a 3-1 merge! Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz View Post
    Great shop and great work. I come from an auto background and do performance stuff so great to see. Stupid question though, are you installing the cap on the rods and hand honing(sunnen) or are you putting back in cnc and doing some "trick". All the vids I see of pistons/rods etc they run the bores in a hone.

Ps- I may need you to make me a 3-1 merge! Nice.
    All my rods are bored to center line specs., wrist pin bore gets roller burnished to size bushing,and then yes, big end gets honed to size . Lots of ops, and then I got a Tobin -Arp for re-con work. Its old, but very slick.

dscf0280.jpg

3. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have not posted any ting on this thread for a while,so I thought Id post up some pics of some recent work. Some 4axis stuff, some lathe work with C axis etc. Small fixture for holding collector tubes so they can be tacked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2742-1-.jpg   img_2770.jpg   img_2772.jpg   img_2771.jpg  
    Last edited by cpifer3; 05-31-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always enjoy seeing your work, C.

6. Likes cpifer3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that is how you notch tubing! Probably the nicest collectors on the planet right there! Dang!

8. Likes cpifer3, Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Now that is how you notch tubing! Probably the nicest collectors on the planet right there! Dang!
    May not make any money on the machine work but look at all that money Im gonna save on filler rod!

10. Likes wheelieking71, Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always try to learn from my mistakes( and I make a whole lot of em, and then some)So that small hole you see in the corner is about a 3/32 c bore with a .040 through hole. With the .040 through hole the parts are junk. I found this out after we had them all ground to fit the male parts with 2-4 micron clearance and DLC coating (parts were sent out for grinding and coating). So with a pile a money invested in parts and no good parts, I decided I would try to thread mill the 60 RC M50 part for a 6-40 taper point set screw that would then thread in and pinch off that .040 hole. It worked. I could not believe that tiny little .098 thread mill was able to produce threads in that hard ass tool steel. Probably less than impressive for most of you, but I was impressed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2788.jpg   img_2789.jpg  

12. Likes Ray Behner, ARB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cpifer3 View Post
    I always try to learn from my mistakes( and I make a whole lot of em, and then some)So that small hole you see in the corner is about a 3/32 c bore with a .040 through hole. With the .040 through hole the parts are junk. I found this out after we had them all ground to fit the male parts with 2-4 micron clearance and DLC coating (parts were sent out for grinding and coating). So with a pile a money invested in parts and no good parts, I decided I would try to thread mill the 60 RC M50 part for a 6-40 taper point set screw that would then thread in and pinch off that .040 hole. It worked. I could not believe that tiny little .098 thread mill was able to produce threads in that hard ass tool steel. Probably less than impressive for most of you, but I was impressed.
    Clint,
    Jim called the other day to say (with skepticism) that you were going to try this. A day later he says, Ray you shoulda been there to see it. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought the fab shop was gonna plasma the holes in these parts but it didn't happen.(maybe the .1 hole was to small for the plasma, I dont know??) Any way, I needed the parts so I just made this simple fixture to hold em ( 150 pcs in SS so it was more than I wanted to do with the dewalt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2794.jpg   img_2799.jpg  

15. Likes Ray Behner, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice work you're doin' there..................

17. Likes cpifer3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Nice work you're doin' there..................
    Thanks david, and I think it goes with out saying that your work is stellar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have not posted anything on this thread for along time, so here are a few pics of random jobs. First time using those mitee bite clamps, I thought they worked pretty slick. Probably gonna try using them on some other jobs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4540-1-.jpg   img_4308-1-.jpg   img_4541-1-.jpg   img_4572-1-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The second pic strikes home , re boring the pin holes in a excavator quick change, we build them at times , up to a 400 machine size 1 3/4 side plates and little over 4 inch pins, more on the heavy duty side than a lot of the little widgets a lot of people make

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    The second pic strikes home , re boring the pin holes in a excavator quick change, we build them at times , up to a 400 machine size 1 3/4 side plates and little over 4 inch pins, more on the heavy duty side than a lot of the little widgets a lot of people make
    It was just way easier than setting up to line bore with the portable.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I must admit, now that I have had it up and running for a while, I Love it!! Its a beast. I do almost all my steel and heavy roughing on it now. Only problem is I cant keep up with it when its running smooth. Its just to much for one guy to program it, set it up, feed it, empty the chip barrels, clean it, maintain it etc , etc. and run all the other stuff that goes on day to day. But yea, the more I learn to use it and utilize it, the more I like it.

Ive been working on horizontal mills most my career - whenever i get to machine on a vertical i feel like i am going back in time lol..

Horizontal is way superior in any way i can think of. if i ever get a chance to get one i will forsure get one in my shop.

Ive been machining on old and new ones.. the DMG 125H ive been running is so freaking awesome its unbelivible how precise that beast is.

23. Likes cpifer3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have not posted anything on this thread for along time, so here are a few pics of random jobs.
    The pic of the horizontal mill looks like you snapped the pic in our shop. Ours is a mid 80's Mitsui Seiki HS5A and looks exactly like that.

25. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    The pic of the horizontal mill looks like you snapped the pic in our shop. Ours is a mid 80's Mitsui Seiki HS5A and looks exactly like that.
    Wish I was in Arizona, winter sucks in Ohio if you dont like the cold!!

27. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

29. Likes chip_maker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wish I was in Arizona, winter sucks in Ohio if you dont like the cold!!
    Was 37 and raining at my place this morning as I walked to the shop. When you are acclimated to AZ, that is pretty cold.

31. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    We just shipped an old Mitsui Seiki horizontal machine off to the storage warehouse. Was still making lots of parts. Replaced it with two massive DMG horizontal pallet machines that share a pool. They've been working on installing them for months and they haven't made a chip yet.

Cool shop pics. Header jig is neat. Wish I could fit part of my old backhoe on a mill to bore like you did!