Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Hendy is one LOOOOONG lathe !!

2. Likes Mark Thompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Matt - thanks for sharing the great photos.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    The old L&S, the K&T and Hendey were all moved in on one day, 45,180 lbs just in those 3 machines, it was a BUSY day.
    Just followed your thread from the start ... REALLY impressive, a shop to be proud of ...

Don't forget let the locals know when you switch on ... there may be a power drain

Thanks for sharing

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mentioned a "930" early on, but no pics of such. (until much later)
    I figgered that you must'a had a Case around there somewhere.

We just sold my G-pa's 930 last year.
    Not my favorite machine, but I was always impressed by it's fuel efficiency.
    We still have a set of duals for it if you are looking.... (18.4-34's I'm guessing)

I use'ta run a slightly newer version of that combine for several years.
    Ours was a 960, and had a cab (not like today's cabs) and a squared off back end sheet metal.

I was wondering about all of this hauling out umpteen loads of this and bringing in a bunch of that, but then I see the pics look like you have gumbo there?
    Must cost an absolute fortune to move all that dirt?

I have a 1/2 mile long driveway, and while it is 100 yrs old, I understand all too well about X tons of stone costs....

Doo you have any work for this kind of equipment?
    Looks like a museum rather than a shop?
    I'm sure it's all cleanable and able to make run - but wondering if this is expected to be a viable business one day, or what?

Especially wondering about the planer...

I wouldn't think that doors would be all that necessary in your area?

Interesting for sure!

BTW - it looks like the hood on the forktruck does close eh?
    Running a dry block? I have one that I am - or at least no belt on the water pump, and ours looks like that sometimes too...

Also - I didn't look to see where you hosted the pics at, but they are not oversized and don't load bad.

Also - I'd like to see the snow load rating on those lean too's!

----------------

Spent a week in Houston and watched it rain
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 12-03-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: until much later

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
    That Hendy is one LOOOOONG lathe !!
    Yeah it is, not super heavy though, only 17,000lbs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Looking good Matt - thanks for sharing the great photos.
    No problem, you've seen most of these, but a few might be new to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    Don't forget let the locals know when you switch on ... there may be a power drain
    Only have a 200amp hook up, wanted 400 but didn't feel like spending an extra $10,000 for it. Next shop for sure will have more power, tall eave heights, an an overhead crane.

Since I now I have a concrete floor, and the Hyster is way too awkard for use inside the building. I bought a forklift. This 4000lb TCM was on craigslist, got it for $1400, it could use a few things, but's has been a nice little lift so far. Don't think I did too bad on it.

At this point shafted back over to working on farm stuff.

Brought the F600 into the shop for a bit of a tune up, and just kept finding issues and never seemed to every finish anything on it. It's still needing work, think I just have to replace all the brake lines at this point.

Also brought the 430 into the shop for a clutch. This was owned by a guy down the street, they bought it new and it was their puttering around tractor for the last 50 years. Son of the guy that bought it finally wore the clutch out, instead of fixing it, bought a new one.

These little 30 cases generally have rotted out dashes and bad sheet metal due to where the battery is place. This one has REALLY nice sheet metal and paint, also a nice after market front end loader. The loader itself was worth what Dad paid to get the tractor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You mentioned a "930" early on, but no pics of such.
    I figgered that you must'a had a Case around there somewhere.

We just sold my G-pa's 930 last year.
    Not my favorite machine, but I was always impressed by it's fuel efficiency.
    We still have a set of duals for it if you are looking.... (18.4-34's I'm guessing)

I use'ta run a slightly newer version of that combine for several years.
    Ours was a 960, and had a cab (not like today's cabs) and a squared off back end sheet metal.

I was wondering about all of this hauling out umpteen loads of this and bringing in a bunch of that, but then I see the pics look like you have gumbo there?
    Must cost an absolute fortune to move all that dirt?

I have a 1/2 mile long driveway, and while it is 100 yrs old, I understand all too well about X tons of stone costs....

Doo you have any work for this kind of equipment?
    Looks like a museum rather than a shop?
    I'm sure it's all cleanable and able to make run - but wondering if this is expected to be a viable business one day, or what?

Especially wondering about the planer...

I wouldn't think that doors would be all that necessary in your area?

Interesting for sure!

BTW - it looks like the hood on the forktruck does close eh?
    Running a dry block? I have one that I am - or at least no belt on the water pump, and ours looks like that sometimes too...

Also - I didn't look to see where you hosted the pics at, but they are not oversized and don't load bad.

----------------

Spent a week in Houston and watched it rain
    Ox
    Yeah Dad was a Case man, so kinda all I know. I love the 930, don't know much else though. "Comfort-King" is a joke, the clutch and brakes are killers. It's in a couple of the pictures I've posted.

Actually made some quick videos of the 930 for another forum;
    Case 93 Start Up - YouTube
    Case 93 Warming Up - YouTube

But can't beat them for fuel efficiency and low end torque.

I'm always looking for parts, tires especially. I have a spare tire for the 930, what I really need is the smaller size, what's on the 430. That's what the combines take.

I've got a 960 combine too. Also got two 600's and another 700 combine not shown, but they are probably parts machines.

Yeah we have black gumbo down here, and yes it did cost a fortune to bring all that fill dirt in. About 1,800 yards total.

As far as work for this stuff, not sure yet. Dad and I were going to try and make a go of a machine shop, he'd do sales, office stuff, and I'd run the shop. But without him, trying to figure out where I want the shop/farm to go.

Right now I'm working in a shop in Houston when I'm not in school. Going to finish college, then maybe make a decision about the machine shop.

I think the farm equipment is just going to be something I play with. Maybe a few arces, but the amount of time and money I'd put in with the farm equipment I've got (and only have 40 acres), it's really not worth it.

I've been learning A BUNCH in the shop I'm working at, if anything it's made me much more confident that I could maybe find work for some of this stuff. Especially the bigger machines. The shop I'm working in has an OLD 65" VBM, it seems to keep busy.

I was wondering how long it would be till someone asked about the forklift hood. Yeah the hood closes, but it's got an exhaust leak that I'm too lazy to fix, also the starter switch is no good, so I start it with a wire across the solenoid.

So yeah, it does close, but it runs better with the hood open, and been too lazy to fix the little issues it's got.

I'm not sure where I'm hosting the pictures either. I've been writing the post on the laptop, then editing in the pictures on my phone with tapatalk. No idea where it's putting them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got into a deal with a shop that was getting rid of surplus machinery hand over fist. Ended up there were giving me truck loads of stuff.

This pacemaker was part of that deal, it had been sitting outside for who knows how long before I got it. Haven't had much time to work on it, but doesn't seem like complete junk yet.

You can see the POS Case 1285 excavator in these pictures. Need to fix that thing up or chop it up for scrap.

Also got that Marathon CNC lathe (got it for free), I was told it was making chips when disconnectedness, management wanted to go with a newer Hass.

So I guess the first question of this thread is, would I be able to power this thing up with a RPC? I know these CNC's want actual 3-phase, but I'd like to know if this is scrap or not.

9. Likes Ray Behner, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who is the older fella in your pics?

What is the point of the vsiqueen under the driveway?
    That seems counter productive?

I expect that you will have much better luck with that pre-war iron than you ever will with that CNC lathe.
    Is that a Yamazaki or maybe a LeBlonde?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who is the older fella in your pics?

What is the point of the vsiqueen under the driveway?
    That seems counter productive?

I expect that you will have much better luck with that pre-war iron than you ever will with that CNC lathe.
    Is that a Yamazaki or maybe a LeBolnde?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    That's Mark (PM member vonleyser). I hire him for the day when our schedules line up (and can afford too), he's been a huge help.

The fabric under the rock the geo textile material (geo-fabric). It does seem counter productive, till you use it. It's great stuff, been keeping the rock from packing into the dirt.

Youd think that's what you want, but with our black gumbo, I'd never stop packing it down. The rock compacts above the fabic, and everything has been super stable. Even after we got 50 something inches of rain in 3 days with Harvey.

It's a Marathon SL320, uses Fanuc OT language, code or what ever the right word it. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers and electronics, just never messed with a CNC before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We dug 4' down to a water line under the driveway here several years back, and I noticed that it was gravel all the way down! That was not in the most heavily tracked area either. Maybe I could use some of that fancy visqueen?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meaning that it has a Fanuc 0T on it?

If so, then you may have some amount of luck with it.
    I was guessing that as an 80's machine.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We dug 4' down to a water line under the driveway here several years back, and I noticed that it was gravel all the way down! That was not in the most heavily tracked area either. Maybe I could use some of that fancy visqueen?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Back at home, the "paved" roads are just tarred and chipped gravel roads. When I worked for the township, we'd have to put in a culvert once in a while. Same deal. Gravel all the way down 3+ feet below the road surface.

Those old roads would sink down at the edges. We used to put a 4' wide strip of asphalt on either side of the busier roads every year. The asphalt is probably 2' thick right at the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess we are to ass_u_me that the Case hydra hoe doesn't run?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CNC's will run fine on phase converters if setup right. IME, if you have delta power (240V single or 3 phase) you want to use Delta-Wye transformers at the machines. Older Fanuc stuff generally likes 208 volts best even though it says it will run on 230 or 240. Newer machines don't care as much.

My 50HP RPC will stay below 150 degrees running at 170 amps 240V nearly continuous feeding a CNC lathe roughing larger 1018 parts I make. It shakes the floor, but it does it.

I don't think you will know if that CNC will run until you hook it up. There's a high probability the parameters are gone though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Machines that use regen braking generally do no like roto converters or delta power in general. Typically you would need to delta to wye x-former as Garwood suggested to make them happy.

If you don't use regen braking, they generally work OK on a converter. Just get the control X-former taps set right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    Machines that use regen braking generally do no like roto converters or delta power in general. Typically you would need to delta to wye x-former as Garwood suggested to make them happy.

If you don't use regen braking, they generally work OK on a converter. Just get the control X-former taps set right.

I don't have much trouble....

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm envious of your space! It'll be nice to see those old brutes under power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meaning that it has a Fanuc 0T on it?
    Yup that's the one.

I guess we are to ass_u_me that the Case hydra hoe doesn't run?
    No it does not. Engine is great, has a Case 504, but it's got hydraulic issues.

It suddenly lost half the functions when I was using it right by the road. Took a look at the pump and the pump that supply's the circuits that I lost was pretty worn. So figured it was a combination of the relief valve and a weak pump.

Tag on the pump was worn away so have no info on it, and there is hardly info out on these old machines. But it's a simple gear pump, so I've been slwoing just making a new center section out of a hunk of dura bar. Did the first pump on John Oder's P&W 3B, and I've been slowing gearing up to finish the other pump on my Moore #3 jig bore.

If my repair doesn't work, I think I'll ask at work if they'd have any way to find a pump that's sort of close. They work on hydraulic stuff, and might have a contact I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    CNC's will run fine on phase converters if setup right. IME, if you have delta power (240V single or 3 phase) you want to use Delta-Wye transformers at the machines. Older Fanuc stuff generally likes 208 volts best even though it says it will run on 230 or 240. Newer machines don't care as much.

My 50HP RPC will stay below 150 degrees running at 170 amps 240V nearly continuous feeding a CNC lathe roughing larger 1018 parts I make. It shakes the floor, but it does it.

I don't think you will know if that CNC will run until you hook it up. There's a high probability the parameters are gone though.
    I'm sure the parameters are lost. I bought the small inside forklift from a guy that works on Fanuc CNC stuff, he seemed fairly confident it could be brought back and said he had all the stuff if it had lost the parameters.

Once I get the phase converter going, it's all set up, I just need to get a belt for the pony motor and finish up the wiring. What's the best way to start the process with this machine?

Run some power to it and start pressing buttons? Have never run a CNC before so total newb. Hand won't be far from the E-stop what ever I do....

The shop I'm working in has offered to let me move machines into their shop, and use them there or even the shop pay me rent for using my machines. But I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that, I see a lot of possible issues.

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    I'm envious of your space! It'll be nice to see those old brutes under power.
    Thanks, it's only 3200 sq ft of concerte, so not huge. Over all is 80x80, eventually the lean-toos on the side will have concrete and become enclosed. Who know when that'll happen though.

May also shoe-horn an over head crane in then, I've done some rough beam design for it and I think it's do able. With only a 16' eve, I'd have a super short hook height though.

21. Likes dekamdylan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

May also shoe-horn an over head crane in then, I've done some rough beam design for it and I think it's do able. With only a 16' eve, I'd have a super short hook height though.
    Get paying work for it before $pending on that stuff.
    You have enough fork there to get you into much trouble as is.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get paying work for it before $pending on that stuff.
    You have enough fork there to get you into much trouble as is.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yup that's the plan, start small with out any debt and see what happens.

I've got lots of time, I'm in no hurry.

Who knows, if I can generate the cash flow out of this building, may just move the whole shop to a leased building with an indoor bathroom, more power, taller ceilings and a crane.

This pole barn is far from perfect, but I was able to pay cash for it.