Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by homanfab View Post
    If I recall correctly, you are using a rotary phase converter to power your equipment? Make sure the power for the coil is not coming from the generated leg, I have had contactors behave like you are describing when the generated leg was used to power the contactor coil.
    I just purchased a lathe and have been having a similar problem when trying to engage the high speed winding on my motor. After reading this post I went home and checked and found I was trying to use the generated phase to run the controls. Once I switched it the contactor started working fine.

Thanks for posting that even if it isn't Home Row's problem.

2. Likes Ohio Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Need a price check on a 30KVA 440-240 dry type transformer. Is 580 not too far off the mark?

And how do i make sure that it's one that can step 240 (220 is what ive got) to 440? I know some can, and some cant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    Need a price check on a 30KVA 440-240 dry type transformer. Is 580 not too far off the mark?

And how do i make sure that it's one that can step 240 (220 is what ive got) to 440? I know some can, and some cant.

I figure $700 + / -

Location is important. They are heavy.

Nearly all are "reversible". Major maker data is usually available somewhere online.

Search on the model number. Find its "family", then the catalog / data sheets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never seen one that wasn't able to run bass akwards.
    All of mine run that way.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been busy with brush cleaning havent had much time to work inside the barn.

I've also started a new job working at Sulzer in their core machine shop in LaPort. It's a huge facility, the building I'm in is probably 50,000 sq ft. The core shop is all manual and they work on mostly steam/gas turbines and rotating equipment. It's pretty cool, big parts, tight tolerances and exotic materials. But its very stressful and long hours, 12 hour shifts, so I've been exhausted by the time the weekend arrives. And I only work 3 days a week, the full time guys work 7 days a week.

But got the planer working a little this weekend

4x1' Planer Running - YouTube

Looks like the original electrical system is shot, so I wired straight to the table motor. So havent tested cross arm raising motor, cross head raising motor, milling table feed motor, or killing spindle motor. But I'm not as worried about them. They are small and wouldn't be too hard to replace if need be.

Probably be time ahead just to replace all the old wiring.

Once I get all the wiring sorted and running right, I'll steal a level or two from JohnO, set this thing up level and see how flat and square it cuts.

7. Likes Mud, SIP6A, Ohio Mike, pressbrake1, rbdjr59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a treat Matt - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulation on getting it up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm excited about it, but fixing or replacing the electrical system will be the real work.

It's got a mill spindle motor, side head elevating motor, cross rail elevating motor, main table motor and mill feed table motor. And can't really do anything with it without at least the head elevating motors. There isn't a way to manually move the heads for some reason.

If I've got to replace all that, that's a lot of motor starters and they aren't cheap.

Next weekend I'm planning on testing the 5CK main motor. Be nice to know if that thing works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I've got to replace all that, that's a lot of motor starters and they aren't cheap.

Shirley you jest... ???

eBay - Page Not Found

.. and those are reversable.
    regular would be cheaper...

They may not be new, but they are on average 100 yrs newer than the machine that your lookin' to put them on, so ....

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Shirley you jest... ???

eBay - Page Not Found

.. and those are reversable.
    regular would be cheaper...

They may not be new, but they are on average 100 yrs newer than the machine that your lookin' to put them on, so ....

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I guess I could use those toggle switches. Wouldn't be as nice as how it's set up now with magnetic starters. Would be simple and cheap.

And this machine was made in 1972

Post Thanks / Like

His other thread says its a 1972

The larger planer has an interesting story. I don't know what make it is because I can't read Chinese. I know it was built in 1972. The original shop owner was in Houston in the late 70's looking at some lathes and he mentioned he was interested in a planer. The guy said he had a great deal on a NEW planer. It was disassembled in crates, covered with grease. Basically a Chinese jigsaw puzzle. Of course he bought it. We got it together and it actually worked pretty good. It was set up with and electric motor on the main shaft and a complicated electric solenoid tool lifting setup. We used it both as a planer and we added a small milling head. It works either way (or it did). I won't do heavy work but it was OK for what we did with it.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sold as NOS in '72, only 50 yrs after they built it....

Our boy from Sharron, PA has at least one of them that runs regularly, but his is (are?) much bigger.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sold as NOS in '72, only 50 yrs after they built it....

Our boy from Sharron, PA has at least one of them that runs regularly, but his is (are?) much bigger.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Well. Just get me clean photos of the Chinese characters and we'll see what they say.

It's a language, not just impressionistic artwork. Takes me HOURS to translate the "radicals", just for my own business card, but one of my in-laws actually reads it well enough to have headed the Chinese ==> English section of Hong Kong University's HQ admin translation department for about a quarter of a century.

And compose poetry in X-Y grids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of the tags are in both english and Chinese.

It says but date is November (dont exactly remeber the month) of 1972.

And I highly doubt there are many of these in the states, since its originally Chinese built. But presumably a copy of a British or Russian machine.

A picture of the tag is in the old thread about this machine. But its date of manufacture is kinda irrelevant to getting the motors turning.

Those toggle switches would work, but this machine is 440V only, there were rated to 380v.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of the tags are in both english and Chinese.

It says but date is November (dont exactly remeber the month) of 1972.

And I highly doubt there are many of these in the states, since its originally Chinese built. But presumably a copy of a British or Russian machine.

A picture of the tag is in the old thread about this machine. But its date of manufacture is kinda irrelevant to getting the motors turning.

Those toggle switches would work, but this machine is 440V only, there were rated to 380v.

My old next-higher was into China - Shanghai Trade Fair - the year before Nixon went out, and this machine matches Nixon's "opening up" visit. (1972).

But is it even PEOPLES Republic Of China (PRC - mainland)? Or REPUBLIC of China (ROC - AKA Taiwanese-Chinese? Got a city or province on the label?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Toggle Switches?

Are you refering to the reversing drum switches near the top of the linked page?

Scroll down just a smidge more and you actually find reversing magnetic starters....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Toggle Switches?

Are you refering to the reversing drum switches near the top of the linked page?

Scroll down just a smidge more and you actually find reversing magnetic starters....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Now that I'm on a laptop, I can see that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a few dollars more but I would definitely go with NEMA magnetic starters or reversers for your application. NEMA reversers are designed to handle repeated start-stop. Plus, in case of a power failure, they don't automatically restart the machine as does a toggle or drum switch. Safety first! 600 volt applications is no problem.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tried to start the 5CK this weekend.

Hooked 440V to is, and having some issues. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this machine? Sort of confused why it's seemingly got contractors after contractor after contractor.

The one (what's the proper name for that component) on the top left initially started smoking when I first tried to start it.

It had significant corrosion, cleaned it up some and smoke went away.

Tried to start the machine again, motor start button wouldnt do anything, but the contractor on the bottom right now closed.

K&T 5CK Electrial Issues - YouTube

As usual, in a hurry and doing everything on the fly on my phone, so not the best video or description.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't tell from he video if the upper left contactor is functioning properly or not. It appears that the N/O contact is already closed at the start of the video and doesn't change when the contactor is energized. The buzzing for said contactor is from rust or dirt on the magnet faces or possibly (remote) a broken pole shader. From the sequence of operations, the upper left contactor may in fact be a timing relay as it closes and then a few seconds later, the lower right one. Judging from the sizes, the lower right one is probably for oil pumps, other auxiliary functions. The contactors below look like the main motor starters. The contactor on the lower right that picks up is not a reversing contactor, so it and its brother have something to do with aux functions.

Wish I were there, I could sort that out really quick.

Tom